How to order off-menu?

Debbers

• 3 months later...

My experiences in QG are worth mentioning. On the QM2 from LA to SYD recently, we went for dinner to the Chef's Table with friends. The next morning the Head Waiter in the Grill asked where we were for dinner last. We explained we had Indian at the Chef's Table. She asked if we enjoyed, which we did. That evening she offerred a surprise for the four of us. A freshly made Indian banquet served by an appropriately clad chef and all to ourselves! Yummo!

On our last night night the menu had dusk breast - which Tina and I adore. I asked if it was a full breast or a half. I was told is was as much as we desired. To this end we were offerred and devourned a full deboned confit of duck - and loved it!

And yes we have also ordered fresh made at the table steak tartare as well.

tony

Only the Grill passengers can order off menu, however in Britannia at dinner there re alternatives you can order.

Shrimp Cocktail for appetiser, then choose from steak,salmon, or chicken for entree.

Your waiter should tell you this the first night, but 95% do not mention this (I do not know why unless it means more work for them if you order the alternatives)

Another item not mentioned to those on their first cruise is that the bottle of wter on the table is not "free" open it and the first person using it has to buy it!

On my Nov cruise I found that the waiter did not seem to understand when I asked for one of the alternatives, instead of the listed entree. He kept telling me "not on menu"

We just returned from a 16 day TA on the QV, we ordered off the menu in the Britannia every night - initially we spoke the Matre'd and our Head Waiter took our order each night for the following evening.

They brought us the menu each evening for the next night -- we then decided if there was anything on the menu we wanted to order. Since we eat fish and lean meats prepared without sauces and plain we ordered Sea Bass and Veal Chops and steamed vegetables - alternating nights for most of the cruise. We also ordered filet migon one night. We tried the fillet of sole which was on the menu one night, it was not as good as the Sea Bass, so we went back to the Sea Bass the rest of the cruise.

I noticed the waiters bringing the menu to other tables around us for passengers to look at in the evening, so I assume others were also special ordering.

We special ordered room service items without any problem what so ever - we were in an A-4 category cabin. Most days we ordered tuna sandwiches, requested simply plain tuna on whole wheat bread with mayo and sliced onion on the side.

We had breakfast in the Lido. Found the staff member making omlettes very good -- he happily made omlettes and other special order egg items for many passengers every morning. He also remembered what folks wanted. I was very happy to see that I could get an egg white omlette which I prefer.

So ask for what you want - talk to your Head Waiter and the Matre'd.

I'm the type that will generally stick to the menu but there may be a time that I'll ask for something different. Now maybe because of my ethinic background or it's just something from a different country but what is kedgeree or clotted cream?

Russ

• 2 months later...

Kedgeree is far from "fish stew!" Its an absolutely delicious rice based curried concoction and can consist of smoked or unsmoked fish , hard boiled eggs and onions as well as parsley or other herbs depending on the cook. My great aunt always used the motto- you cant use enough butter in a good kedgeree. Its commonly a breakfast dish. Yum. Try it!

Last time we were in QG (on QE2) one table requested and got roast sucking pig! I actually had to be careful what I ate as, if our waiter noticed that I seemed to particularly enjoy something (eg mushrooms or spinach etc) I would automatically find it served at all future meals! This also happened in my cabin breakfast. What a strain having to remember not to eat too much of one particular fruit or face a mountain of it the next day!! What service. What a trip. Cant wait to see if its as good on the Victoria.
We did QV in June and think you won't be disappointed. The QG Maitre d', Andrew (ex QE2, so he must be the guy others have mentioned) couldn't have been more accommodating and the head waiter was only too pleased to produce something by the table. Our waiter seemed to be on a quiet, personal crusade to help us explore the options.

Our first Cunard cruise, so we didn't know the ropes and that we could ask, but they made lots of suggestions anyway. They also kept an eye out for us noticing other stuff that people were having and asked if we fancied the same or similar. Crepes suzette, cherries jubilee, Dover sole, rack of lamb, chateubriand and several other dishes I now don't recall, all in a week. An American gentleman at the next table was hankering for a big hamburger with all the fixin's - done that same evening. Most things you could order at lunch and get that evening, desserts needed no order.

The only exception was the evening of the Captain's cocktail party when they expect everyone to turn up at once so politely asked us in advance to go from the menu that night.

Archived