How to order off-menu?

Debbers

We order off menu all the time on cruises. We will be going on the QV and Cunard for the first time soon. We will speak to the Matre'd the first evening which is what we usually do. Then we work out nightly what we want for the following evening. Basically we eat fish plain pan fried or grill and steam vegetables most evenings, with sometimes a salad. Our request are modest and healthy.

Different ships/cruise lines diferent rules, even on Cunard, that which you can do in QG and PG is "not available" in Britannia, and it is Britannia on Cunard that is the subject of this thread.

Even in Britannia, different waiters react differently to a request no matter how politely you ask. Which is why some passengers have trouble while others with experienced long time Cunard waiters have no problems at all.

Pris993: you will be well-satisfied, I assure you. DW and I enjoy similar fare and have it, presented with silver service, exactly to order, in QG. You are also welcome to give the chef free reign to produce complete meals of Indian, Moroccan, Indonesian, French, or ANY :)other cuisine. A day's notice is all that is required. The result is excellent and served with great finesse.

Enjoy!:)

Hi gardenbunny. I'm very happy that you didn't get sick, and that you followed instructions from the Captain.:)

I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that those who became ill were sticken because they did not follow the Captain's orders; sometimes even following orders won't stop a virus. I've heard that even captains get sick sometimes. -S.

Absolutely did not mean to imply that at all! One can always be an innocent victim. I was only making a point that the Capt kept everyone well apprised of the situation several times a day on the intercom and always reminded everyone to follow good personal hygiene . You could tell some passengers were not pleased with the situation, but it was visible to see all the extra work it makes for all the staff. They were constantly wiping everything on the ship.

What are your favorite things to order off menu? What did you see others order that looked interesting?

We've been upgraded to QG, and although won't be ordering anything like a suckling pig, fine dining is one of our favorite activities, so we're excited.

We'll definitely request the intermezzo.

We loved ordering Foie Gras & Sweetbreads. We always give them a days notice when venturing off menu. The Scotch egg(for lunch)was rather amusing. Surprisingly, being British registered, you'd think they knew how to prepare it...hard boiled egg wrapped in Irish sausage, bread crumbs, quickly deep fried. The one I got was as big as a baseball(actually got 2 of them!)Tasted fine, but portion control(amount of sausage)was quite off. Ordering in Britannia it gets harder to venture off menu. I've heard that if you get a waiter you had before(especially if you tip them well)they may be much more willing.

Gardenbunny, on my QM2 voyage last November/December, the MDR staff was working at a hectic pace (from my personal observation that was due to understaffing). I didn't want to make the waiters work even harder by ordering off menu, so I tried the spa selection for a simple entree. I very much enjoyed the spa selection for entrees such as broiled chicken breast. But the dessert items that I tried on the spa menu were over-sweetened with sugar substitues and composed mostly of gelatin, which I found neither healthy or tasty- but perhaps I just ordered the wrong desserts. No matter; I certainly didn't starve and I lost two pounds :) But I do agree with you that the Spa Menu is definitely worth trying. Cheers- Salacia

And it's more healthy. We'd order selections mainly at lunch.

And it's more healthy. We'd order selections mainly at lunch.

I didn't go as far as a salad but I did make a point of having the fish for lunch everyday. It did seem to be better than the fish that was served at dinner.

I thought one light meal a day would be a good thing.

I hate to ask this but can all of you specify you category. B, BC, PG, QG

Thanks

Kathy

Approximately 85% of QM2 is Britannia Category. Britannia category includes cabins designated D through A, the exception being Britannia Club which is comprised of AA cabins.

PG and QG are Grills category.

Not sure if that answers your question frankathy...were you asking us to specify the category we book? -S.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend was on a transatlantic in the Queen's Grill on board QE2.

He was asked if he had any special requests:

"Well what have you got?"

"We have everything Sir"

"In that case I'd like Jugged Hare for dinner tonight"

It was duly served up!

I specially ordered Beef Wellington for dinner one night on QE2, only to find it on the regular menu anyway the next night.........

We have never had a problem ordering "off menu" in the MDR (Brittania). As I am allergic to seafood and quite "fussy" I often ask for what I "fancy". I have always had my request granted as long as I gave reasonable notice. Don't think you can sit down and order whatever you want. If you do you are being unreasonable! In any case the food is fantastic!:D

We have never had a problem ordering "off menu" in the MDR (Brittania). As I am allergic to seafood and quite "fussy" I often ask for what I "fancy". I have always had my request granted as long as I gave reasonable notice. Don't think you can sit down and order whatever you want. If you do you are being unreasonable! In any case the food is fantastic!:D

Sounds reasonable to me. We basically get established with the Matre'd the first night and request a special order of some sort of fish the following night. We will most likely try the salmon the first night. Because of religious reasons we don't eat mixed items, i.e., no shell fish, no meat with fish, no butter so generally order fish simply pan fried or grill with steam vegetables. Have done this on the 6-7 cruise lines we have traveled on over the years. We will be on Cunard for the first time and from your experience would seem we can do the same. Thanks for sharing your experience. We have also had good experience on other lines requesting only whole grain items for dietary needs, even in the Lido. It seems the cruise lines are quiet response to those who are fuzzy about what they eat and how it is prepared for health and religious reasons.

Partial quote

Sounds reasonable to me. We basically get established with the Matre'd the first night and request a special order of some sort of fish the following night. We will most likely try the salmon the first night. Because of religious reasons we don't eat mixed items, i.e., no shell fish, no meat with fish, no butter so generally order fish simply pan fried or grill with steam vegetables.

copied from http://www.cunard.com/How-to-Book/General-Voyage-Information/

If guests have special dietary needs, Cunard must be advised at time of booking or, at the latest, six weeks before sailing. Every effort will be made to comply with such requests.

We've had tablemates (Britannia restaurant) who made prior arrangements for special meals for religious or health reasons, and they were quite pleased with the accomodation. Perhaps the key is to communicate requests well in advance? Cheers, S.

Partial quote

copied from http://www.cunard.com/How-to-Book/General-Voyage-Information/

If guests have special dietary needs, Cunard must be advised at time of booking or, at the latest, six weeks before sailing. Every effort will be made to comply with such requests.

We've had tablemates (Britannia restaurant) who made prior arrangements for special meals for religious or health reasons, and they were quite pleased with the accomodation. Perhaps the key is to communicate requests well in advance? Cheers, S.

Thanks for the information. We have been cruising for many years, because our requests are very simple we have found there is no reason to make advance requests. We simply ask to have food prepared plain without sauces, without butter, no shell fish, no cheese or dairy and this is better communicated on the spot. Based on what others have said here I am sure we will be fine on Cunard. A few words with the Matre'd the first night and reviewing the menu the night before daily generally works just fine. If we don't find anything on the menu that works we simply order fish the night before grill or pan fried with steam vegetables. This is very easy for the cruise lines to do.

Thanks for the information. We have been cruising for many years, because our requests are very simple we have found there is no reason to make advance requests. We simply ask to have food prepared plain without sauces, without butter, no shell fish, no cheese or dairy and this is better communicated on the spot. Based on what others have said here I am sure we will be fine on Cunard. A few words with the Matre'd the first night and reviewing the menu the night before daily generally works just fine. If we don't find anything on the menu that works we simply order fish the night before grill or pan fried with steam vegetables. This is very easy for the cruise lines to do.

If you speak to the head waiter in charge of your section and explain your requirements, he will come each evening with the next day menu so that you can make your selection, this will then be specifically prepared for you in accordance with your wishes. It is only the first evening that there is a difficulty as they have had no notice. They do this regularly so it will not be a problem for them. If you do speak to the Maitre d', he will merely put you in contact with the head waiter to arrange things.

If you speak to the head waiter in charge of your section and explain your requirements, he will come each evening with the next day menu so that you can make your selection, this will then be specifically prepared for you in accordance with your wishes. It is only the first evening that there is a difficulty as they have had no notice. They do this regularly so it will not be a problem for them. If you do speak to the Maitre d', he will merely put you in contact with the head waiter to arrange things.

Thanks, yes you are correct generally the Head Waiter takes care of everything.

There's such a great selection and so much food on the menu served for dinner in Britannia, I couldn't ask for more food.

There is just one request I make for a certain item off menu , and I do get it.

Of course ,I make sure that I tip the table waiter for this service.

There's such a great selection and so much food on the menu served for dinner in Britannia, I couldn't ask for more food.

There is just one request I make for a certain item off menu , and I do get it.

Of course ,I make sure that I tip the table waiter for this service.

And what is this particular off-menu item?

Archived