How to order off-menu?

Debbers

In the recent thread on lack of clotted cream, a post mentioned that Grills passengers can order things that are not on the menu. Sounds tempting! Does that apply only to QG passengers, or can PG passengers do that, too? What items have you successfully requested? Was it embarrassing?

Thank you.

In the recent thread on lack of clotted cream, a post mentioned that Grills passengers can order things that are not on the menu. Sounds tempting! Does that apply only to QG passengers, or can PG passengers do that, too? What items have you successfully requested? Was it embarrassing?

Thank you.

I assume that it works in PG and there is no embarrassment involved, merely speak to your waiter or the maitre d' and it is sorted. I had Foie Gras and Steak Tartare. You can choose anything. If they have it you will get it, if not you won't.

Thank you.

PG passengers can order off-menu as well. We saw that they had wheeled out the Crepe Suzette trolly one night, although it was not on the menu. When we asked we were told that someone had requested it. We said we'd like some as well and they said absolutely.

No it wasn't embarrassing. As long as you give them notice I imagine they wouldn't say no to anything.

Only the Grill passengers can order off menu, however in Britannia at dinner there re alternatives you can order.

Shrimp Cocktail for appetiser, then choose from steak,salmon, or chicken for entree.

Your waiter should tell you this the first night, but 95% do not mention this (I do not know why unless it means more work for them if you order the alternatives)

Another item not mentioned to those on their first cruise is that the bottle of wter on the table is not "free" open it and the first person using it has to buy it!

On my Nov cruise I found that the waiter did not seem to understand when I asked for one of the alternatives, instead of the listed entree. He kept telling me "not on menu"

Your waiter should tell you this the first night, but 95% do not mention this (I do not know why unless it means more work for them if you order the alternatives)

I don't think that it makes a jot of difference to their workload, but I imagine that they don't mention it as it is clearly stated on the menu each night.

You can order off menu in PG. You do need to give them notice. We would ask the day before we wanted something and there was never a problem. many people in the dining room were doing this. Our waiters always did it with a smile and we never felt uncomfortable asking:)

Pam

Last time we were in QG (on QE2) one table requested and got roast sucking pig! I actually had to be careful what I ate as, if our waiter noticed that I seemed to particularly enjoy something (eg mushrooms or spinach etc) I would automatically find it served at all future meals! This also happened in my cabin breakfast. What a strain having to remember not to eat too much of one particular fruit or face a mountain of it the next day!! What service. What a trip. Cant wait to see if its as good on the Victoria.

Last time we were in QG (on QE2) one table requested and got roast sucking pig! I actually had to be careful what I ate as, if our waiter noticed that I seemed to particularly enjoy something (eg mushrooms or spinach etc) I would automatically find it served at all future meals! This also happened in my cabin breakfast. What a strain having to remember not to eat too much of one particular fruit or face a mountain of it the next day!! What service. What a trip. Cant wait to see if its as good on the Victoria.

That same thing happened to me both on the Britanis and various RCCL ships and I never, at that time, had anything more than either an inside cabin or an ocean view. I never ate anywhere other than the main dining room. I just happen to think that paying attention to detail is called being a good waiter no matter what dining room you are in.

I don't think that it makes a jot of difference to their workload, but I imagine that they don't mention it as it is clearly stated on the menu each night.

Your right it is on the menu each evening, and how can it make more work for the waiters, they just take your order and bring it too you, more work for the chefs maybe, but then im sure they have it too hand anyway

Thank you.

We never had problems ordering off menu in either PG or QG. Caviar, however is free in QG, but will cost you in PG. We always have an intermezzo(sorbet)as a pallat cleanser between App & Entree. Please give a days notice for things such as Foi Gras or Sweet Breads.

Only the Grill passengers can order off menu, however in Britannia at dinner there re alternatives you can order.

Shrimp Cocktail for appetiser, then choose from steak,salmon, or chicken for entree.

Another item not mentioned to those on their first cruise is that the bottle of wter on the table is not "free" open it and the first person using it has to buy it!

On my Nov cruise I found that the waiter did not seem to understand when I asked for one of the alternatives, instead of the listed entree. He kept telling me "not on menu"

Crikey, Mrs. Jimsgirl, I didn't dare order anything off menu in Britannia (Nov 27 thru Dec 18). :eek: -Cheers, Salacia

Crikey, Mrs. Jimsgirl, I didn't dare order anything off menu in Britannia (Nov 27 thru Dec 18). :eek: -Cheers, Salacia

Do order the intermezzo(sorbet) after the appetisor. You do need to let the waitstaff know when you sit for the first night. They probaly can't do it the first night(which they can in the Grills)This is probably due to the fact how busy it can be. There should be no reason for them to refuse, as we did it the 3 times we were in Brittania. if they refuse bring it firmly(but politely) to the Maitre D.

• 4 weeks later...

What are your favorite things to order off menu? What did you see others order that looked interesting?

We've been upgraded to QG, and although won't be ordering anything like a suckling pig, fine dining is one of our favorite activities, so we're excited.

We'll definitely request the intermezzo.

Just remembered a time in PG on QE2: I love cherries in desserts and, having enjoyed cherries and ice cream one evening (simple but yummy), I asked if I could have the same the next night and was told no as it would mean opening a big tin of cherries and the rest wouldnt get used up!! Oh well...........

Do order the intermezzo(sorbet) after the appetisor. You do need to let the waitstaff know when you sit for the first night. They probaly can't do it the first night(which they can in the Grills)This is probably due to the fact how busy it can be. There should be no reason for them to refuse, as we did it the 3 times we were in Brittania. if they refuse bring it firmly(but politely) to the Maitre D.

Keithm , I thought that you liked me, and here you are telling me to do something that will most likely get me "keelhauled" for being difficult.

Given that I had trouble getting shrimp cocktail, and then was refused two crepes when only one was "allowed" I so not think I would dare to do as you say.

Read on one review that now you have to order your desert when ordering the main meal, not after entree as in the past. Wonder who decided on that?

Lynn

What are your favorite things to order off menu? What did you see others order that looked interesting?

We've been upgraded to QG' date=' and although won't be ordering anything like a suckling pig, fine dining is one of our favorite activities, so we're excited.

We'll definitely request the intermezzo.[/quote']

We often order off menu and we do see things other people have ordered and think that looks nice.We like lobster thermodor,beef Wellington ,a good curry and crepe Suzette of course !!

When on QE in Dec the sommelier brought the menu for the next day each evening after our meal so we could select a wine to have available at the next evening's meal. One evening I didn't really see anything and our waiter told us about the alternatives we could order. The waiters we also very helpful telling us what they felt were the best items on the menu. They were usually spot on based on your personal taste. Naturally if they said the lamb was the best but you don't like lamb, the next best was also very good. That went for all courses. We had to order dessert on that trip due to a noro virus outbreak. My first experience with that and although the freedom to serve yourself was not available , they did a wonderful job. 14 days and we never got ill by following the Captain's orders. And I don't think it took anything away from my experience on board.

We order off menu all the time on cruises. We will be going on the QV and Cunard for the first time soon. We will speak to the Matre'd the first evening which is what we usually do. Then we work out nightly what we want for the following evening. Basically we eat fish plain pan fried or grill and steam vegetables most evenings, with sometimes a salad. Our request are modest and healthy.

On both our QM2 visits we were in the QG. Caviar every night. They also called for our special requests not sure if this is a QG only thing. We pre ordered raw oysters and oysters rockfeller. beef tenderloin for two. Like they said if they have it just give them a days notice or at least by breakfast time.

See you on board gardenbunny

Kathy

You may like the Spa selections on the menu. They are always healthy and very tasty.

Gardenbunny, on my QM2 voyage last November/December, the MDR staff was working at a hectic pace (from my personal observation that was due to understaffing). I didn't want to make the waiters work even harder by ordering off menu, so I tried the spa selection for a simple entree. I very much enjoyed the spa selection for entrees such as broiled chicken breast. But the dessert items that I tried on the spa menu were over-sweetened with sugar substitues and composed mostly of gelatin, which I found neither healthy or tasty- but perhaps I just ordered the wrong desserts. No matter; I certainly didn't starve and I lost two pounds :) But I do agree with you that the Spa Menu is definitely worth trying. Cheers- Salacia

... 14 days and we never got ill by following the Captain's orders...

Hi gardenbunny. I'm very happy that you didn't get sick, and that you followed instructions from the Captain.:)

I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that those who became ill were sticken because they did not follow the Captain's orders; sometimes even following orders won't stop a virus. I've heard that even captains get sick sometimes. -S.

We were on QM2 in January and ordered shrimp cocktail off menu a couple times in Brittania. The waiter was very reluctant to bring it - saying that he was not sure and that it might take a while. We have not had that problem in the past. They are so rushed now with less staff any special order slows them down.T

Archived