Need Seattle help plz

Linda&Vern

We will be cruising to Alaska on the Amsterdam May 13-27. I am looking for hotel suggestions for 2-3 days pre-cruise. Would like to be able to walk (or short taxi) to places such as Pike Place Market and the Space Needle. (Any other places that are must see?) Not interested in renting a car.

Also, there seems to be "public" transportation from the airport, but I am assuming the safest bet would be taxi to the hotel and also to the cruise port? I assume the cruise leaves from Pier 91? Any suggestions from you helpful CCers would be greatly appreciated.

I've tried the West Coast Departures and Roll Call sections without much success. Trip Advisor is giving me a headache! I had no trouble planning our trip last month to FLL, but SEA has me stumped :eek: at the moment! I need to get these things settled so I can start asking you "Alaska" questions! :o

We like the Seattle Marriott Waterfront and in fact just booked it for our Amsterdam cruise in June. It is close to Pike Place Market and across the street from where Celebrity and NCL Dock. Also near the Aquarium and some really good restaurants. We taxi from the airport and to pier 91 which is not far.

Barbara

Try the Airport Hilton. When we last stayed there in 2009, they had a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to downtown Seattle (right by Pike's Market). There was a cruise package that included the shuttle to and from the pier. It's a typical airport hotel, so nothing all that special, but it worked fine for our plans.

Light rail is now operating from SEA to downtown, if you can manage your luggage. If not, besides taxis, there are shuttles going to major hotels. I'd suggest staying in downtown and enjoying the city. It's hilly, but much public transportation is available, even a free bus in the core area. Convenient hotels are plentiful... what's your budget?

You will love the Amsterdam we took that cruise in 2008. I would check for any specials for Red Lion on 5th Ave, Monaco, Alexis hotel or Westin hotel. There is also a Springhills which is part of Marriott chain that is in a good location and all are walking to Pike Place.The Marriott waterfront is nice but lots of stairs if you walk up to Pike's Place but that hotel and the Edgewater hotel are great location on the water (Marriott across the street) but would think during cruise season those might be higher since closer to Pier. We are on Westerdam this year.. looking forward to it :)

Before my Amsterdam cruise last August, I stayed at the Hilton in downtown Seattle. It was a very nice hotel, close to Pike Place. And I awoke to see my ship waiting for me! Service was very, very good.

It was an easy cab ride from the airport, and an even easier cab ride to the pier.

Last August we got a good price for 3 nights at the Pioneer Square Best Western. Not a lot of glitz, but quite adequate. We walked everywhere from there. One of the best activities we did was the evening Argosy Locks Cruise.

In 2008 we stayed at the Inn at Harbor Steps before sailing on the Oosterdam to Alaska. It was three blocks from Pike Place Market. They included a breakfast buffet and afternoon wine, cheese, and nibbles. We enjoyed our stay. It was a bit unconventional due to multi-levels. We like to walk so it didn't bother us, but everything was up or downhill in Seattle. The art museum had a decent restaurant which wasn't far from the hotel. Of course, Pike Place Market had several restaurants. We ate in one, but of course I don't recall the name of it. Transportation to the cruise port was available from the hotel for a reasonable price.

In 2009 we stayed at the quality inn near the Space Needle. It was a 5 minute walk to the Space Needle. From there you can catch the monorail to downtown and walk to Pikes Market. Seattle is a very walkable city. The hotel also provides a shuttle to the cruise ship. I would grab a cab at the airport.

Before my Amsterdam cruise last August, I stayed at the Hilton in downtown Seattle. It was a very nice hotel, close to Pike Place. And I awoke to see my ship waiting for me! Service was very, very good. It was an easy cab ride from the airport, and an even easier cab ride to the pier.

Thanks Ruth ... was the Hilton address 1301 6th Avenue? And am I correct that the cruise port is Pier 91?

HAL does use the new Pier 91 -- no hotel near there.

Several times we have stayed at the Sheraton Downtown.

But this summer we are going to stay at the Marriott Waterfront -- within walking distance of Pike's Market.

We have used AlreadyThereTownCar several times -- costs just a few more dollars than a taxi -- clean, comfortable.

Thanks Ruth ... was the Hilton address 1301 6th Avenue?

That sounds right. It was very near the freeway exit.

The cab pulled up, and before I knew it, a doorman was there getting my bags, and helping me along. He stayed nearby while I checked in, and my luggage was brought up with me.

Same doorman came for my luggage the next morning. He asked if my stay was satisfactory (as did the person at the desk), helped me out, and hailed a cab for me. I didn't have to do a thing! :D

As I said before, service was excellent.

And am I correct that the cruise port is Pier 91?

You sure are!

Thanks KK and Ruth and everyone! At least I have a starting point now. For some reason I can't grasp the layout of Seattle the way I usually can do for a new city. With your help I can now start to plot the best plan for us. Then I can start my annoying Alaska questions! ;) ;)

Thanks a bunch!

Personally, I love staying at the Fairmont Olympic. It's a grand hotel in the heart of downtown with superb service. Also, it's generally a HAL facility. On our last cruise we were met at the airport by a HAL representitive who arranged for our transportation to the hotel. On the day of departure we simply had our luggage taken to the HAL staging area from which we were transported to the ship and reunited with our luggage in our cabin.

If you want an excellent NW seafood dinner while you're in town, try McCormick's Fish House at 4th and Columbia.

Archived