MSC Club

BoBayBrin

Sorry for interrupting your explanations but how does 93 night points plus 43 bonuses points add up to your 137 points? Shouldn't it be 136? They do end up getting things right but it's really not easy for them ;)

IF You look hard you'll see a 6 night cruise listed, in fact I payed for a 7 night cruise and arranged to get off 1 day early. I disputed the additional point with them as I had paid for the night. This would have given me my 100th point and so give me a BLACK Card. As a compromise they transferred 1 point from my wife who had 102 points to give her 101 and me 100. hence the 1 point discrepancy .

Full marks for your observation

But the totals are in fact correct

Pete

PS i'm now up to 151 points

Edited by Skier52

Hi Pete ... I received a grid which also shows onboard spend against each cruise, as i suspected the spend for the last cruise is missing which probably explains the difference between the 85 that MSC say I have and the 92 that it should be.

Have asked them when the other points are likely to be put on so just waiting on their reply about it.

Hi Pete ... I received a grid which also shows onboard spend against each cruise, as i suspected the spend for the last cruise is missing which probably explains the difference between the 85 that MSC say I have and the 92 that it should be.

Have asked them when the other points are likely to be put on so just waiting on their reply about it.

Good luck with that, and here's to you getting that lovely Black card in

its nice box with a Gold pin in a felt purse, like the two on either side of this image

P1020493C.jpg

Pete

• 2 months later...
Beam ... Nice one ... :) Just 8 points off Black now after our latest cruise, mailed the club to make sure the points go on.

Hi Dave - keep a very close eye on your points allocation! I posted here (#38) that I'd made it to Black on my last trip. I was working off the points I'd been advised I had after my Aug sailing. I'd done 3 cruises in 2015 by then and each time the points hadn't been added correctly to my account. When I came back from my December cruise I added the points to what I had been advised - it came to 100. I checked my account online and found MSC were showing 94 points so I contacted them. They insisted that was the correct figure. I was gutted - I'd spent way over budget to make it to the 100 so I queried it. I've been going back and forward with them - I couldn't even engage here I was so annoyed about the whole thing. Finally, I received an email last week advising that I do, in fact, have 100 points, so Happy Days. I can now look forward to my champagne and chocs in a couple of weeks time (it would have been cheaper to buy them for the money I spent to get them 'complimentary' LOL).

Mairi, I now need to know what should I wear to the meal with the Captain (or his officers)? Is it lunch or dinner? I'm tempted to ask what 'upgrade' I'd be entitled to but I booked an aft cabin for the TA, having read Tim's wonderful account about his Juliette balcony, so I think an 'upgrade' would be a retrograde step :)

Thanks, folks, for the congratulations at the time of my original announcement - I can enjoy them now that the matter is finally resolved. A big thank you to MSC for doing the right thing, too!

Hi Dave - keep a very close eye on your points allocation! I posted here (#38) that I'd made it to Black on my last trip. I was working off the points I'd been advised I had after my Aug sailing. I'd done 3 cruises in 2015 by then and each time the points hadn't been added correctly to my account. When I came back from my December cruise I added the points to what I had been advised - it came to 100. I checked my account online and found MSC were showing 94 points so I contacted them. They insisted that was the correct figure. I was gutted - I'd spent way over budget to make it to the 100 so I queried it. I've been going back and forward with them - I couldn't even engage here I was so annoyed about the whole thing. Finally, I received an email last week advising that I do, in fact, have 100 points, so Happy Days. I can now look forward to my champagne and chocs in a couple of weeks time (it would have been cheaper to buy them for the money I spent to get them 'complimentary' LOL).

Mairi, I now need to know what should I wear to the meal with the Captain (or his officers)? Is it lunch or dinner? I'm tempted to ask what 'upgrade' I'd be entitled to but I booked an aft cabin for the TA, having read Tim's wonderful account about his Juliette balcony, so I think an 'upgrade' would be a retrograde step :)

Thanks, folks, for the congratulations at the time of my original announcement - I can enjoy them now that the matter is finally resolved. A big thank you to MSC for doing the right thing, too!

Well it varies from ship to ship whether it is an dinner or a lunch. More recently it has been lunch with numerous officers because there are so many and they use the other MDR not generally open to everyone. I just wear a nice day dress (but it has usually been warm weather). I'd say most people wear smart casual, smart day waer if it is a lunch and are better dressed if it happens to be dinner.

Good luck getting an upgrade. MSCLOVER from Brazil has often managed to get one, I never have but live in hope.......

The two I've been to have both been lunch time on a sea day. I just wore a shirt and tie with smart casual trousers. They were attended by some of the officers and the social hostesses and every effort was made to have a common language at any table. On my last cruise there was an English table , a German Table, a Turkish table and others that I was unable to find out the language spoken.

On my table we were the two native English speakers with an Italian sports journalist and two of the social hostesses who both had good English.

Pete

Well it varies from ship to ship whether it is an dinner or a lunch. More recently it has been lunch with numerous officers because there are so many and they use the other MDR not generally open to everyone. I just wear a nice day dress (but it has usually been warm weather). I'd say most people wear smart casual, smart day waer if it is a lunch and are better dressed if it happens to be dinner.

Good luck getting an upgrade. MSCLOVER from Brazil has often managed to get one, I never have but live in hope.......

Thanks for that, Mairi. You've posted about it before, I know and I'll probably go searching the site for other titbits now that the Black card issue is sorted! I've taken onboard (pardon the pun) what you've often said about the juices and smoothies in the spa. I'm a late-comer to smoothies, especially and have started making my own at home now, so that'll be my early morning port-of-call, so to speak, to get my daily vitamins and minerals dose!

I don't think I'd be too interested in an upgrade tbh. It would probably amount to the Aurea experience which could entail a cabin toward the bow like the YC and I'm really looking forward to my aft cabin with the large balcony. I have the premium allegrissimo pre-booked so I'm sorted. I don't even mind that I'm not in YC although I may have considered it had it been available to book. Unlike a lot who've experienced it I'm not so impressed with it that I can't enjoy 'steerage'. Even when I do cruise in YC, I still get an allegrissimo package as I spend most of my time in the main areas.

The two I've been to have both been lunch time on a sea day. I just wore a shirt and tie with smart casual trousers. They were attended by some of the officers and the social hostesses and every effort was made to have a common language at any table. On my last cruise there was an English table , a German Table, a Turkish table and others that I was unable to find out the language spoken.

On my table we were the two native English speakers with an Italian sports journalist and two of the social hostesses who both had good English.

Pete

Thanks, Pete. Believe it or not (and to my shame) I didn't even think of DH and what he'd wear - you've given me the male perspective, so to speak. I suppose us women think it's easy for the man. He's bound to have some nice trousers, shirt and tie whereas us ladies have to consider is the dress too dressy or not dressy enough LOL

Thanks, Pete. Believe it or not (and to my shame) I didn't even think of DH and what he'd wear - you've given me the male perspective, so to speak. I suppose us women think it's easy for the man. He's bound to have some nice trousers, shirt and tie whereas us ladies have to consider is the dress too dressy or not dressy enough LOL

And then we have to decide on shoes and other accessories as well....!

The discounts are great with MSC Club membership but sometimes they can be slow in crediting your card with points earned. On my last MSC cruise in June on the Poesia, they correctly credited me with the 11 points for an 11 night cruise but I've had to wait until last week to get the 7 additional points for my on board expenditures (thanks to the persistence of my TA). I have the Gold card but still have a long way to go to get the coveted Black Card with its automatic 20% cruise discount.

The 20@ is no longer automatic. I tried booking some cruises with MSC. I was told the 20% didn't apply to those sailings. MSC will tell you it is 20%. Unfortunately it isn't always so.

The discounts are great with MSC Club membership but sometimes they can be slow in crediting your card with points earned. On my last MSC cruise in June on the Poesia, they correctly credited me with the 11 points for an 11 night cruise but I've had to wait until last week to get the 7 additional points for my on board expenditures (thanks to the persistence of my TA). I have the Gold card but still have a long way to go to get the coveted Black Card with its automatic 20% cruise discount.

In my case I was awarded points for the onboard spend but not for the cruise itself :confused: That happened on 3 different occasions. The first time I noticed it was because I was due to make it to Gold so after that I always checked my account soon after a return from a cruise and, as soon as I saw points awarded I contacted MSC to advise that they had omitted the cruise points.

IowaChuck: Were there drinks packages or flights included in the prices perhaps which may have been the reason why 20% discount would not apply? I've noticed that a lot of the summer sailings have been priced here to include services such as inclusive drinks, flights and/or excursions - I haven't booked any but I have wondered if the discounts apply on these prices.

Hi Bea ... Discounts only apply to the cruise fare in the same way as they do when booking air and transfers, now if it was Carlsberg and not MSC you would get points for the cost of the holiday as well lol .... :D

Hi Bea ... Discounts only apply to the cruise fare in the same way as they do when booking air and transfers, now if it was Carlsberg and not MSC you would get points for the cost of the holiday as well lol .... :D

Morning, Dave........MSC don't do Carlsberg - well, not on draught which is what DH drinks! Even when we have the premium drinks package he still drinks the Heineken draught as he gets drunk if he drinks bottled Carlsberg on the ship lol.

I suppose that's fair enough that the 'inclusives' aren't discounted. I'm curious how you'll know you're getting the right discount if the price is inclusive, though :confused: I like transparency. Anyway, it won't impact on my current bookings. Both my imminent trip and the one in September on Divina were booked @ Gold card level so 10% discount without any 'inclusives' so the discount was clear.

Although I booked for next September with 10% discount I've actually done better than had I waited for the Black 20%. The fare is now €2239pp (YC). I got it @ €1789 on an Early Booking rate - I got 10% off that plus €400 OBC as I had a voucher :D

On the subject of points, I think that they should be allocated according to category of cabin, especially now that so many of the cruises have drinks packages included in the price which reduces the opportunity of accumulating points for onboard spend. Those paying for YC are paying far higher prices than those in Bella insides yet only get the same number of points for the cruise.

Edited by Beamafar

Hi Bea ... Princess have a similar system which gives more points for suites than Balconies, Outsides and Insides or they did because we got them for having a Suite two years running on our first two cruises.

Extra point or points for YC would not be a bad idea and as people are paying a premium for that category i personally see no reason why it could not be done, after all there are people who can afford to use the YC for every cruise so why not.

The only issue i see is would you then give extra for Aurea cabins?

Hi Bea ... Princess have a similar system which gives more points for suites than Balconies, Outsides and Insides or they did because we got them for having a Suite two years running on our first two cruises.

Extra point or points for YC would not be a bad idea and as people are paying a premium for that category i personally see no reason why it could not be done, after all there are people who can afford to use the YC for every cruise so why not.

The only issue i see is would you then give extra for Aurea cabins?

Royal Caribbean give DOUBLE points for Suites !

Pete

This is how Celebrity allocates points:

Inside/Ocean View 2

Veranda 3

Concierge Class/AquaClass® 5

Sky, Century or AquaClass Suite 8

Celebrity, Signature or Royal Suite 12

Reflection or Penthouse Suite 18

Stateroom Categories for Celebrity Xpedition

Club Points Earned per Night

Oceanview, Deluxe, Premium 5

Junior, Xpedition Suite 12

Royal Suite, Penthouse Suite 18

Seems a very fair way. IIRC they don't award points for onboard spend, though, unlike MSC.

The benefits are also different to MSC and not laid out in as clear a format:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/membership/captains-club-overview.

Black Card arrived in the post today. I'm all set now for my cruise on Preziosa on Sunday next. Flying out to Brazil on Friday - so, happy days! :D

Enjoy your champagne and chocolate strawberries, after your priority boarding !!!

Congratulations on joining the the top level of the club

Pete

Enjoy your champagne and chocolate strawberries, after your priority boarding !!!

Congratulations on joining the the top level of the club

Pete

Thanks, Pete, looking forward to all the new benefits :)