New Visitor to this Forum - Dress Code Question

Hi Everyone, I am new to RC and looking to book a cruise on the Independence of the Seas. I have previously cruised with Cunard & P&O and I was wondering if the dress code on RC is similar or on par with them? I love dressing up, what woman doesn't and I want to make sure I don't look out of place with my evening dresses.

We are looking to go on a 10 night cruise, how many formal nights would there be?

I look forward to hearing from all you cruisers :)

You'll have 2 "formal" nights...cocktail dress or gown is most appropriate. You'll probably have 2 "smart casual" nights....and the rest will be "casual"....capris, sundress, skirt, slacks, etc... are fine on casual nights. Smart casual is just a small step up....I think most women are more "smart casual" everynight, anyway....we do like to look good!

For men, suits and tux will be the majority on the formal evenings. On the other nights, most men are in docker-style pants and gold/polo shirt. On smart casual night, some, but not all, will wear a jacket.

IMHO you'll be just fine. I've seen everything from glorious gowns to simple cocktail dresses on formal nights. Even on the more casual nights, if you want to go dressier, then go! They really are not stringently particular, as long as you aren't in shorts and flip flops. I'm sure you'll be beautiful and you will LOVE RCCL. Enjoy you cruise!

Thank you for your promt reply, much appreciated. I love wearing long dresses and looking for an alternative to the Cunard. Do you think I would look out of place if I wore a long dress on a 'smart casual' evening?

No, you will not look out of place in a long dress.

Thank you for your promt reply, much appreciated. I love wearing long dresses and looking for an alternative to the Cunard. Do you think I would look out of place if I wore a long dress on a 'smart casual' evening?

Let's think of it another way. YOU paid for the cruise so wear what you want which makes you happy! If someone gets their nose out of joint that is THEIR problem, not yours. Dress up, feel glamorous and above all, have a really great time!

You will not be out of place wearing long dresses any night. My daughter loves to get dressed up and wears long dresses almost every night. She wears formal long dresses on elegent night and less formal long dresses on the smart casual nights. The other nights she will wear long sundresses. IMHO; it is up to you as to what you wear and enjoy wearing whatever it is. I wear dressy pants and a dressy top on smart casual nights and formal evening dresses on the elegent nights. Wear what makes you happy and have a fabulous cruise on RCCL.:)

The ones who smuggle booze.....the ones who hog chairs......I'd say about 25-40% of the women on any given cruise do not like to dress to the nines.:(

What makes you think that just because someone does one think you disapprove of, that they must do everything you disapprove of??

Pretty poor logic. :rolleyes:

FYI, I use rum runners, but wear a dress to the MDR almost every night.

Thank you all for your responses

I am looking to book a cruise on The Independence of the Seas in the next couple of days. I am really looking forward to cruising with RC and can't wait to wear all my lovely dresses - everynight lol x

I'm on vacation to, but I like to take pride in my appearance especially in the evening, when dressing for dinner, if thats being on 'display' I'm fine with that.

And you have every right to dress as you please, don't look down at us who prefer to dress casual. :eek:

i am new to rccl and am now worried about the dress code. I'm assuming it is only for certain rest? The most formal the dh will get is khaki shorts! Is this acceptable on smart casual nights? What does mdr mean?:confused: THank u

MDR=Main Dining Room...and no shorts in there at dinner. Maybe you can talk him into a nice pair of docker style pants. But, you dont have to be formal ..some people on this board voice there opinions pretty loudly,but I usually wear a nice pair of black pants and dressy top and nice jewelry. I have taken fancy dresses when I was younger,but, I cant wear the shoes that make those outfits pop any longer, so I like to wear the dressy pants. If you can talk your hubby into a pair of Dockers and nice shirt, he will be fine. But, no shorts allowed! You can eat at the buffet at night instead. I sometimes do that too!

The ones who smuggle booze.....the ones who hog chairs......I'd say about 25-40% of the women on any given cruise do not like to dress to the nines.:(

I DONT smuggle booze and I DONT hog any chairs. But, I dont get all dressed up like I use to either. But, I dont mind those of you that do and it wont ruin my cruise if you dont like how I dress! :D

What is the dress code standard for men? Is a tuxedo required for formals? For semi formal do I need a jacket, shirt and tie? Thanks

No, and No.

It will range from a tux to a sport coat with no tie.

Semi-formal has been dead on RCCL for over a decade. On non-formal nights the majority of men will be in khakis or slacks and a polo shirt, a few will have a sport coat.

You will also see jeans on non-formal nights and they are also within the dress guidelines.

No, and No.

It will range from a tux to a sport coat with no tie.

Semi-formal has been dead on RCCL for over a decade. On non-formal nights the majority of men will be in khakis or slacks and a polo shirt, a few will have a sport coat.

You will also see jeans on non-formal nights and they are also within the dress guidelines.

Thanks very much

Archived