Why pre-paid gratuities?

minn0315

When you choose MTD, you have to prepay your tips, as you may not have the same servers everynight. It's for YOUR convenience...so you're not trying to divy up tips to a zillion different folks at the end of the cruise.

If you do traditional dining, you can still pay your tips in cash at the end of the cruise as you'll have the same waitstaff nightly.

Be aware that the pre-paid tips will take care of your room attendant, too!

We actually like the pre-paid tips. We always do traditional dining, but it's just easier to not have to worry about having the right cash at the end of the cruise. We always tip the suggested amount or more anyway so it's not that big of a deal.

I heard once on here that they were doing it because of the increased number of Europeans going on cruises these days. Tipping isn't as ingrained in their culture as it is ours. So many of them didn't tip at all.

We don't like pre-paying gratuities. We like to tip for the service we get. If we get good service we tip very well,if not then we adjust the tips. Sorry, that's just how we feel.

Guess you won't be doing MTD then. Then you have the choice.:cool:

I love MyTime dining and have no issue whatsoever in pre-paying my tips. One less thing I have to take care of on the cruise. We always tip more than the recommended anyway, so now instead of taking all the cash for the tips we just add what we want to the prepaid amount and put it in the envelopes. Works great.

I do not understand prepaying tips 3 months early. Charge them to my sea pass on the first day, no problem. If I called a restaurant for reservations and they told me I had to prepay the tips when I make the reservation, I would go somewhere else!

I do not understand prepaying tips 3 months early. Charge them to my sea pass on the first day, no problem. If I called a restaurant for reservations and they told me I had to prepay the tips when I make the reservation, I would go somewhere else!
You could make the same argument about pre-paying your meals, entertainment, etc. three months in advance. It's the way the cruise line payments are set up.

The drop box is NOT for tips. If you choose the cash method, the envelopes are left in your cabin, you add cash and hand out the last evening in the MDR. Leave the envelope on the bed for your cabin steward when you go to dinner that evening.

You can get extra envelopes at Customer Service and your end of cruise survey get deposited in the drop box...it is well marked.

We had My Time Dining at the Oasis of the Seas and went to our assigned dining room each evening and had the same table and the same 2 waiters (waiter and assistant I guess) every night.

I don't mind paying in advance for the gratuities as it makes our seapass account at the end much less.

Prepaid tips also improves the cash-flow picture for RCCL, as they are using your money for 10+ weeks prior to your cruise.

I don't pay them with my final payment. I go back and pay them about 10 days before sailing. Less cash to drag with us.

The drop box is NOT for tips. If you choose the cash method, the envelopes are left in your cabin, you add cash and hand out the last evening in the MDR. Leave the envelope on the bed for your cabin steward when you go to dinner that evening.

You can get extra envelopes at Customer Service and your end of cruise survey get deposited in the drop box...it is well marked.

Exactly!

Perhaps a dumb question, but can the tips be paid afterward when you settle your account. I received a stateroom credit when I booked that I planned to use to pay tips, specialty restaurant charges, drinks, etc.

I want to use that balance against charges incurred on board, then pay any difference I owe with my credit card when settling up.

Am I thinking right? First time on RCI, but this is how things were done on Disney. Your guidance is appreciated...Thanks!

Perhaps a dumb question, but can the tips be paid afterward when you settle your account. I received a stateroom credit when I booked that I planned to use to pay tips, specialty restaurant charges, drinks, etc.

I want to use that balance against charges incurred on board, then pay any difference I owe with my credit card when settling up.

Am I thinking right? First time on RCI, but this is how things were done on Disney. Your guidance is appreciated...Thanks!

If you are not doing my time dining, you can elect for prepaid trips while you are on the cruise. If you are doing my time dinning, then you are charged at the time you sign up for MTD. If you wait until you are on the cruise ship, then you have a chance that you will nto get MTD.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear with my question:

Doing traditional dining...not My Time Dining. Am I correct to presume gratuities can be charged against my stateroom account, and the credit I got when booking? I want to charge my tips to my stateroom account...at the end of the cruise, not before I receive good service (horse before the cart).

Thanks!

If you eat at a lot of the specialty dining venues pre-paid gratuities are not a good choice. I used to always do MTD (which I think is great)...however I find that I eat at specialty dining all but maybe just 2 nights out of a week. I just can't see doing pre-paid gratuities anymore in my case....so I now just stick to traditional dining with no pre-paid gratuities and tip as I go to whom wait's on us that evening in whatever venue we dine in.

Archived