Rome port day while others embark/disembark

Netta7

We are taking a 17 day trip later this year on the Noordam that is a combination of a 7 day and 10 day cruise. Our port day in Rome (8:00-5:00) while be the same day the 7 day cruise disembarks and the 10 day cruise starts.

We are trying to plan our Rome tour excursions and prefer not to use the HAL excursions. We are wondering how the ending/starting passengers will impact our port day. We completely understand the rush for flights, etc. Will we be held until on board later because of this? Similarly and tips we should know for getting back on board? Any advice on how much time we will really have in Rome given the changeover on the ship would be most appreciated.

Netta7

Disney cruise 1999

Windjammer Legacy 2007

Princess (CB) 2008

I don`t think you should be. You should be in priority ( at least I would like to think so ) - just check with your TA or HAL or mark it as disembarkation on your own. on a b2b, you should have special instructions and you shouldn`t be influenced by the others.

but it will be mobbed, so I would get off in a hurry or wait a while. your choice. enjoy Rome and your cruise.

If your departure time is 5 PM, you'll need to be back on the ship by 4:30 at the latest, which means leaving Rome around 3 or 3:15 (to give you a little pad). Given that, I'd get off as early as possible and get into the city to maximize your touring time. Several key sites are open quite early - St. Peter's, for example, is open at 7 AM. If you get off the train at Roma San Pietro, you'd have a fifteen minute walk to St. Peter's, so even the earliest train won't be too early.

We did this in Barcelona aboard the Noordam last summer, same scenario with a 7 and 10 day B2B. It worked just like any other port day. We got off early, spent the day in the city and got back around 3:00. No one even questioned us getting off and the ship had just been cleared. When we got back we just went around the check-in line and showed our key cards to those HAL employees near the gangplank and went through security check-in as usually.

A day or two before the turn around you will get a letter in your room that will give some details on the process.

Kirk

Archived