Car Rental in St. Maarten

darthnomster

The Fodor's guidebook says to consider getting a one dat car rental in St. Martin for about $25.

Has anyone done this? How crazy is driving on the island?

We'd like to explore the island, maybe spend some time at a nice beach, and get a good lunch.

Darthnomster we have rented a car in St. Maarten and drove around the island. If you want to rent a car just get off the boat and ask people that work their were can you rent a car. I know that they have some rental car company their at the cruise port. Some car rental company need to bring you were the cars are some of the car rental company do not have their cars their but you can drop off the car at the cruise port. And driving out there is ok but remember the person how was driving is nuts. If you do not have kids with you might want to go to Orient Beach. If you want to go jewelry shopping they have some nice jewelry shopping their.

• 3 weeks later...

Returned a couple of weeks ago from a 7 day on the NCL Sun. We made prior arrangements for a car with Coastal (near the dock).

I have to give them a big thumbs up. I was paranoid about the insurance and the huge deductibles. At Coastal I was able to buy enough insurance to get the damage deductible down to $100. The last thing I wanted was to have an accident in another country (and this is two countries!) and get into a mess.

We rented the Hyundai Accent sedan. It was about $45 for the day, and with the extra paranoia insurance it came to $98 (there were 3 of us--so we shared the cost). Also, they don't charge anything on a credit card, they just take an imprint of it, and you get that back after the car is returned. The car was brought to us, and the gentleman walked us around the car (looking for damage), and showed us the spare tire (yes, it had one).

The car was a 2011 with 8600 miles on it. :D The Accent is only a 4 cylinder, but she made it up the hills. We made a tour of the island, picked up a couple of geocaches, had lunch in Marigot, and made it back in one piece. We put gas in it and it was about $9 (after the conversion from guilders). We paid for the car in cash.

My cruisemates also rented from Coastal, but there were about 7 of them. They were supposed to get a van or something, but somehow it wasn't available when they arrived. So Coastal just upgraded them to a Ford Explorer. :)

The roads were challenging in some places. Have to really watch out for poor road conditions. The driving is on the right, like in the US, but things are in KPH, and so is your speedo. There are some narrow streets, and some situations where you will have to "thread the needle" between vehicles. There are roundabouts, too. Some areas have intersections where traffic merges into one lane down a street. My advice: patience and focus for the driver. Don't get all upset at the horns blowing at you--(the locals apparently don't like the tourists ;)), just watch yourself and be polite. You don't own the place; don't drive like you do.

Another thing: I own a Hyundai Accent. I have been driving since 1982 and have driven nearly 200,000 miles in an Accent. I know EXACTLY where it is on the road, and how wide it is. "Threading the needle" for me was no big deal. But if you go from a small car to driving an SUV on the island--well, you are going to need to really understand how big the vehicle is.

There are guys who are used to driving big vehicles and they should not have a problem. Not me. I was glad to have the Accent. I knew where the controls were, how big it was, and what it could do. Big advantage for me.

I was glad I did not have to drive on St. Thomas. That was really crazy. But on St. Maarten it was not as bad as I thought, and if I go again, I might just rent a scooter (yes, I ride).

The Fodor's guidebook says to consider getting a one dat car rental in St. Martin for about $25.

Has anyone done this? How crazy is driving on the island?

We'd like to explore the island, maybe spend some time at a nice beach, and get a good lunch.

Don't get the cheapest car. Go up a grade or so and get one with better safety features. You are only talking about $20 difference anyway.

I doubt you'll find anything for $25.00. The cheapest we have ever paid, everything included, was at least $75.00 - gas, taxes, fees, etc. There are always extra charges. :)

Having said that, you can rent a car and make a nice day of it. We have done so twice. Driving can be hectic, but DH grew up in the Caribbean and is used to the drivers/driving.

Be sure to secure your vehicle and do not leave anything inside. Rental cars are frequent targets for break-ins.

Traffic is congested as the afternoon wears on, so I'd advise you to get back to the pier area no later than 3 (well, depending on when you depart, of course).

There are 5 rental car booths at the pier, including Hertz, Budget and 3 local operators including Coastal. There is a self-service (now) gas station 5 blocks from the pier. Some operators give you an empty car and you add the gas you think you will need at the station; others give you a full tank and you only replace what you used.

Always take the insurance; your US insurance is meaningless here. And never leave anything in the car.

The new roundabouts at most intersections have made things more difficult for the tourist driver - more options as to where to go then the old system of roads joining at intersections.

Getting back to the pier from Maho can be iffy in the PM because of congestion and drawbridges. Orient on the other hand is much more consistent in terms of time - no need to allow double the time, just an extra 5-10 minutes.

Last trip last month, Hertz charged $45 for a Corolla with 12K on the clock + insurance, tax and a $9 "fee". Plus gas used which we paid at the station.

<snip>

Always take the insurance; your US insurance is meaningless here. And never leave anything in the car.<snip>

My VISA card covers all insurance except for Liability, which I always purchase. For me it has been an additional $5 per day.

Call and check what your Credit Card covers on St. Maarten.

gary

For those of you who have rented a car in St. Martin, did you pay a port charge? One company's quote included a $15 port charge (separate from taxes and no insurance is mentioned) but this is not listed on any of the other companies' web sites. I'm just trying to compare the bottom line price for the available companies.

For those of you who have rented a car in St. Martin, did you pay a port charge? One company's quote included a $15 port charge (separate from taxes and no insurance is mentioned) but this is not listed on any of the other companies' web sites. I'm just trying to compare the bottom line price for the available companies.

Coastal has a port charge. But being able to walk to the rental booth was worth it for me.

And yes, there are $25 cars advertised. But they are little Diahatsu things that I don't trust.

• 2 years later...

We just cruised on the 7/27/13 Oasis to the Eastern Caribbean, and once again rented a car in St. Maarten at Arthur's with no problems http://www.arthurscarrental.com. We have used them for 4-5 times over the years. They are located a short walk outside the cruise terminal. They are a little cheaper than the majors ($50 for a compact) because they avoid the port charges, and they provide a friendly, local touch.

Hertz is good if you prefer to stay with a name brand. They have a good reputation with frequent island travelers. I rented with a local named Michael who runs Unity car rental when I stayed a week on the island. Michael met me at the airport, though my my plane was three hours late. They aren't allowed to have offices at the airport so he drove me about a mile away to their office where he took an imprint of my credit card. I paid with cash at the end of the week. I think it was $220 total for the week, which included liability insurance. I didn't need it, but I have read from others that if there is an issue, Michael will work with your credit card company on the insurance.

Driving on the island is the same as any congested spot in the US. The horn honking is more commonly used as a greeting to other people the drivers know than a complaint about your driving. We learned that after talking to locals. I completely circumnavigated the island a couple of times that week and felt very comfortable driving. The thing to know is that petty theft from rentals is common so leave NOTHING in the car while you aren't in it. And don't think things can't go missing if you step away for a second. They can and will. If you buy something, don't leave it in the trunk if you stop anyplace else. Take it with you so that you have it when you sail away.

Ask the rental agency what to do at the beach. Michael preferred us to leave doors unlocked so that anyone casing the car won't damage the locks. The spare tire had its own separate lock as well as a GPS locator on it. Apparently those get stolen all the time.

That sounds like it will ruin the fun, but if there's nothing in the car to steal, you will have no issues and not worry about it.

• 3 months later...
I just booked on-line with Coastal yesterday and got an email asking to provide a phone number so they can call and get a $15 deposit. The $15 is not a big deal, but I'm not comfortable giving my credit card # over the phone. Is this normal practice??

They don't have a secure website where you can give them your credit card information? I understand why they need a deposit at the pier. So many cruisers plan a couple of different activities and then decide at the last minute what they actually feel like doing. Tour guides and car rental agencies have to turn customers away and then the original person who booked their service just doesn't show up and they have to absorb the financial loss.

• 2 weeks later...
We just cruised on the 7/27/13 Oasis to the Eastern Caribbean, and once again rented a car in St. Maarten at Arthur's with no problems www.arthurscarrental.com. We have used them for 4-5 times over the years. They are located a short walk outside the cruise terminal. They are a little cheaper than the majors ($50 for a compact) because they avoid the port charges, and they provide a friendly, local touch.

Hello anyone with recent car rental experience on St. Maarten. We rented Nov. 28 from inside the gate for $75 total plus gas from Sun Than, but the others were all price fixed at $82. The car was brand new and they said we scratched the bumper. I prefer an older vehicle. We would like any info on Arthurs or others outside the gate, and their pricing. Any advice? Thanks.

Hello anyone with recent car rental experience on St. Maarten. We rented Nov. 28 from inside the gate for $75 total plus gas from Sun Than, but the others were all price fixed at $82. The car was brand new and they said we scratched the bumper. I prefer an older vehicle. We would like any info on Arthurs or others outside the gate, and their pricing. Any advice? Thanks.

Arthur stood us up. Can't recommend Arthur's.

We're always had good luck with Arthur's, but I think the small rental agencies suffer from people who reserve a car and then don't show up to rent it. Once they know you are reliable, my experience is that they treat you like gold. I would email Arthur's (the owner's name is Alberto) and get a quote. Tell him the type of car you want. Establish a little trust. They are a family business and have been there for ever. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

We're always had good luck with Arthur's, but I think the small rental agencies suffer from people who reserve a car and then don't show up to rent it. Once they know you are reliable, my experience is that they treat you like gold. I would email Arthur's (the owner's name is Alberto) and get a quote. Tell him the type of car you want. Establish a little trust. They are a family business and have been there for ever. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I was surprised by Arthur. But not "pleasantly".

Arthur needs to come up with new excuses when he stands people up. Actually sending an email instead of just saying he did will help his cause as well.

Arthur stood us up. Can't recommend Arthur's.

Arthur's stood us up too. We were waiting and waiting for him and he never came to open up his shop even though he knew we were to met him at a certain time.

We now use Coastal Rent a car by the pier; we have used them 3 years in a row and will use them on our next cruise in March. Never had a problem with them, they provide good service and clean cars.

Arthur's stood us up too. We were waiting and waiting for him and he never came to open up his shop even though he knew we were to met him at a certain time.

We now use Coastal Rent a car by the pier; we have used them 3 years in a row and will use them on our next cruise in March. Never had a problem with them, they provide good service and clean cars.

The day we got stood up by Arthur in 2012 we had asked for directions to his place while walking past the Hertz and Coastal rental area inside of the port. The Hertz guy said that they hadn't seen Arthur and the Coastal guy agreed. They said his shop was closed when they were at their lot beside his place just a few minutes before. We wanted to check for ourselves because we had reserved and confirmed so we thought that Arthur deserved to have our business. Well the shop was indeed closed and no explanation given on the door or through the gentlemen at Hertz or Coastal.

Fast forward to the end of the day. As we were going over the car with the Hertz employee Arthur came and introduced himself and said that someone in his family had died the day before. Why wouldn't have he called the Hertz or Coastal guys and asked them to put a sign on his window instructing us to go to one of those shops to rent a vehichle? He said that he emailed me and explained the situation. No email was ever received.

I didn't post about it when I returned until about a year later when I read that he had actually done the exact same thing to another cc member prior to doing it to us. He actually even told us that he only had two cars rented on the day he stood us up and said that often cruisers reserve cars that they don't end up renting. In other words it wasn't worth his time to open that day. Fair enough. I get that. A sign on the door or a phone call to Hertz or Coastal indicating that would have been better than to stand us up and then lie as to the reason why.

We rent from Tripple A when on land vacations and wanted to rent from a local company near the port for cruises but it just didn't work out for us and that is how we found Hertz and since then we have rented from them while visiting on a cruise stop. Like you my sister rents from Coastal and has always been happy with thei cars and service that they have received.

OK OK...I understand you have some complaints about Arthurs/Alberto, but I'm going to give him/them a chance because all of those companies inside the gate are price fixing. And I will be honest about the experience, good or bad.

OK OK...I understand you have some complaints about Arthurs/Alberto, but I'm going to give him/them a chance because all of those companies inside the gate are price fixing. And I will be honest about the experience, good or bad.

Why would you be anything but honest? That wouldn't be very helpful now would it.