Which Rome trip with P&O do you recommend?

Jo and Rob

Mum and Dad are off on their first cruise in April and I have offered to do a bit of research on their behalf. They have never visited Rome before, want the security of a P&O trip but don't want to be on a trip where they have to stand for hours or do loads of walking as they are not as mobile as they used to be! The trips haven't been released yet but any advice would be really appreciated.

many thanks

We did Rome on Your Own -

We had transport to the Vatican from the ship where we were then able to catch a taxi to the Roman Forum / Colesseum. Can't remember how much but not expensive and there were plenty of taxis. We paid for a ticket at the forum so that once we'd had a look at this site (at our leisure) we went in to the Colesseum without having to queue. The price of the Colesseum was included. There were plenty of places to find a snack outside the Colesseum.

We then walked to the Vatican, but you can take a taxi back - and spent an hour or so at the Vatican - all at our own pace.

Very easy to do and you don't have to feel that you have to keep up with anyone else.

The coach picked us up very close to the Vatican - lots of places to sit and wait if you are in need of a bit of R&R -

Any more questions, just ask

You can do Easy Rome when you hardly get out of the coach but you do see most of the main attractions.

If your parents can walk any distance then the Rome on your own would be better. However Rome is a large city and the sights are well spread out. You have to be fairly confident to pick up taxis to move around.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

We have just done this trip on our cruise at Christmas. You get to see all the main attractions from the comfort of your coach with a guide pointing out what is what. The only time we stopped in Rome was at the colleseum (sorry about the spelling) where people could get out to take some photos. There were of course stops for the loo on the way and back. You could go in the morning or afternoon and it lasted for 5 hours. When we went it was called "Panoramic Rome". Hope this helps.

We have just done this trip on our cruise at Christmas. You get to see all the main attractions from the comfort of your coach with a guide pointing out what is what. The only time we stopped in Rome was at the colleseum (sorry about the spelling) where people could get out to take some photos. There were of course stops for the loo on the way and back. You could go in the morning or afternoon and it lasted for 5 hours. When we went it was called "Panoramic Rome". Hope this helps.

That's the one only I did not think I could spell panaraamicc:rolleyes:

If it is their first time in Rome and they are OK walking then Glories of the Gladiators is a good tour too. You see both inside and outside the Colloseum , a tour of the Forum and then dropped off in Piazza Navona for a couple or hours or so to do your own thing - lunch, St Peter's, Pantheon - all with easy walking distance. BUT it is a long all-day tour with a lot of walking.

If it is their first time in Rome and they are OK walking then Glories of the Gladiators is a good tour too. You see both inside and outside the Colloseum , a tour of the Forum and then dropped off in Piazza Navona for a couple or hours or so to do your own thing - lunch, St Peter's, Pantheon - all with easy walking distance. BUT it is a long all-day tour with a lot of walking.

Great advice, thank you everyone and keep it coming!

Whichever tour you choose, it's a very long day, as much as 11 hours including the journey there and back.

Rome in a day is impossible, IMO. If you can possibly do a land based holiday for a few days, then do it. It's the better option.

We did Rome on Your Own -

We had transport to the Vatican from the ship where we were then able to catch a taxi to the Roman Forum / Colesseum. Can't remember how much but not expensive and there were plenty of taxis. We paid for a ticket at the forum so that once we'd had a look at this site (at our leisure) we went in to the Colesseum without having to queue. The price of the Colesseum was included. There were plenty of places to find a snack outside the Colesseum.

We then walked to the Vatican, but you can take a taxi back - and spent an hour or so at the Vatican - all at our own pace.

Very easy to do and you don't have to feel that you have to keep up with anyone else.

The coach picked us up very close to the Vatican - lots of places to sit and wait if you are in need of a bit of R&R -

Any more questions, just ask

Yes please more information would be great!

The excursions are now posted and nothing is mentioned about the Vatican. Do they have more than one drop off point? I imagine that they take you into the Centre of Rome and it says the pick up will be from the same coach park as they drop you off. Or is the Vatican right in Rome and that is why I'm getting confused?

Yes please more information would be great!

The excursions are now posted and nothing is mentioned about the Vatican. Do they have more than one drop off point? I imagine that they take you into the Centre of Rome and it says the pick up will be from the same coach park as they drop you off. Or is the Vatican right in Rome and that is why I'm getting confused?

The Vatican isn't in the centre of Rome - its about 30 / 40 minutes walk away (I think) --- I'm taking it that the centre is the Colesseum area but may be wrong!

When we did the Rome on Your Own the coach dropped us off by the Vatican - they park up in the bus station there. There was only the one drop off spot. It is about a 5 minute brisk walk to the Vatican Square. There are lots of small shops and cafes in that area if you want to have a rest / a snack at any time. You could spend the whole day at the Vatican bu expect to queue.

We chose to catch a taxi to the Colesseum area - must admit we hadn't done it before so were a little edgy but it was fine. The taxis are parked right by the entrance to the square and if you use a white one you are ok - they are the ones that are regulated re prices etc. We asked to be taken to the Colesseum and I think it cost about 8 -10 euros and were there in about 5 - 10 minutes maximum. Again the driver dropped us off right by the Colesseum.

We then went into the Roman Forum which is fabulous if you like your ancient history and this ticket gave us an entitlement to go into the Colessum later as well. It is better to buy the ticket at the forum first so that you can by-pass the huge queue at the Colesseum later and just walk straight in !

We then walked back to the Vatican - it took us about half an hour I think but it would be just as easy to catch a taxi back and then spend some time in the Vatican. We made sure it left us plenty of time to be back at our pick up point at the Vatican once again as we didn't want to miss the ship!

Some people chose to see far more sites but we have been to Rome a few times and picked the ones we wanted to see or revisit. It was a long day but there is always the option of sitting down and resting more. This trip would give your parents the opportunity to do things at their own pace.

Hope this helps

PS Forgot to mention - we also went armed with a good guide book and map just incase !!!

I have always done "Rome on Your Own". If you go down this route, I would suggest that you invest in a good guidebook and map well before you sail and plan your day before you go. Also that you start with the places furthest away from the pick up point and leave the ones close to it for last. That way, if you misstime your day you may miss your last planned visit, but you wont miss your coach. As an alternative to walking and taxis, the Metro is reliable and inexpensive, but watch your pockets as pickpockets are rife.

I have always done "Rome on Your Own". If you go down this route, I would suggest that you invest in a good guidebook and map well before you sail and plan your day before you go. Also that you start with the places furthest away from the pick up point and leave the ones close to it for last. That way, if you misstime your day you may miss your last planned visit, but you wont miss your coach. As an alternative to walking and taxis, the Metro is reliable and inexpensive, but watch your pockets as pickpockets are rife.

Hi Denarius - totally agree - looking back this is exactly what we did and made sure we did the sites that were the furthest away first and worked back !!! Must admit, the thoughts of the Metro frightens me ! Can't imagine using the Underground in London let alone Rome ;)

If you are going to do Rome on your own, here is a very good site, which shows where everything is. You can enlarge it and move it around. Click the places of interest, and see a panoramic view of each.

We will be in Rome on 4th Feb, going on RCI IOS to the med. We are going to do it on our own by train. Its approx 80 minutes from Civitavecchia, to the main Termini Railway Station in Rome, then 3 stops on Metro to Spanish steps, where we intend to start our tour. Then on to Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and from there head past the Vittoriano, Forum, and head to the Colosseum, we will spend most of our time in this area. Main Termini Train Station is only two stops on Metro from Colosseum. Will leave Civitavecchia early, get to Rome by latest 10am and leave between 3/4pm, ship sails at 7pm.

Did the Essence Of Rome trip from Ventura in in 2008, found it very hectic and fast paced, think it was 11 hour trip, so we intend to do it this time at our own pace. Giving the Vatican, St Peters and the Museums a miss this time, as we spent a fair amount of time there last trip.

Many years ago use to travel the underground in London to work each day, so Metro doesn't really bother me, will only be on for 3 stops at any one time.

Here is the link

http://www.italyguides.it/us/roma/rome/rome_travel/map_of_rome.php

http://europeforvisitors.com/rome/civitavecchia/civitavecchia-to-rome-by-train.htm

We were on Celebrity Constellation in October, we also didn't want to miss Rome and took an organised trip costing almost $100 each, on reflection after speaking to fellow cruisers on our return I wish we'd done it independently. The train from Civittavechia is cheap and regular and doesn't take any longer that the bus, once in Rome there are lots of open top hop-on hop-off buses at around 20 euro for the whole day. When we were there it was quite hot and we walked miles and miles so if your parents are not too mobile the tour buses are a good option, not sure what P&O do but I know Celebrity did a "do it on your own" type excursion where they took you to the city then left you to your own devices before picking you up again later, which would be a compromise between the two.

Whatever, don't expect to "do" Rome in a day. If you get to see two or three of the top sights you will be doing well. Also bear in mind that even in April it can be very hot. I was there last year at the end of April and in the city itself it was scorching. Wear good flat non-slip shoes and take a cover-up for St Peter's etc. Also, if I recall correctly, ladies are not allowed to wear shorts there.

Whatever, don't expect to "do" Rome in a day. If you get to see two or three of the top sights you will be doing well. Also bear in mind that even in April it can be very hot. I was there last year at the end of April and in the city itself it was scorching. Wear good flat non-slip shoes and take a cover-up for St Peter's etc. Also, if I recall correctly, ladies are not allowed to wear shorts there.

I think it is no bare shoulders or knees for men and women - hubby always wears a t shirt and trousers (over his shorts) and I take a scarf and skirt (to put on over my shorts !) The Vatican 'police' are very strict so you do need to cover up !

Archived