Alaska cruising

englishgal

We are cruising to Alaska this May and wondered if anyone had been who uses a wheelchair/scooter. I SOOOO want to see a whale, so any suggestions on which trip to go on and where? We will be on P&O Arcadia, but are willing to book our own trip if the ship does not do them.

Thanks for any help anyone can give to us.

I think Alaska is one of the easiest places to cruise in a wheelchair or scooter. We used Orca Enterprises for our whale watching tour in Juneau. They will send a lift equipped mini van to the ship if you need that (I did not). The ship is especially designed to allow for access to the boat. The tide was out when we were there and they provided two crew members to assist with getting the chair down the ramp so there was no danger of a runaway. We probably saw 25 or 30 whales. We also saw whales while cruising in the inside passage. In Skagway we took the White Pass scenic rail tour which has accessible cars with lifts. We also did the evening wildlife expedition through the ship that went from Skagway to Haines. You have to be able to transfer to a school bus (about 3 steps) to do this tour. It was fabulous. About 200 bald eagles, more than a dozen seals, and five of the biggest bears I have ever seen. In Juneau we took a scenic boat tour which was OK but if I was going back I would try to find an accessible totem tour. Our cruise also went to Glacier Bay which was fabulous. We also took an Alaskan tour before the cruise and it was accessible as well.

Thank you so very much for this information. It all sounds super. I can just about manage three steps with my husbands help, so am making notes of all your suggestions. I would not have thought that I would be able to do the railway, so thanks again for that you have made my night.

Joan

We are cost conscious and wanted a balcony cabin (only a few were accessible) so we chose to take the last cruise of the season in September. We cruised on the Island Princess. For the land tour we flew into Anchorage and then to the train to McKinley and Denali lodges. We took a bus from Denali to the Copper River Lodge (steps again and like you I needed my husband's help). After Copper River we took another bus to Valdez where we took a ferry across Prince William Sound to Whittier and boarded the Island.

We are cost conscious and wanted a balcony cabin (only a few were accessible) so we chose to take the last cruise of the season in September. We cruised on the Island Princess. For the land tour we flew into Anchorage and then to the train to McKinley and Denali lodges. We took a bus from Denali to the Copper River Lodge (steps again and like you I needed my husband's help). After Copper River we took another bus to Valdez where we took a ferry across Prince William Sound to Whittier and boarded the Island.

How was the weather during your cruise? I ask because we will be cruising Alaska in September this year.

Our weather was fine. We did need our coats at times as it was colder. On the bus transfer from Denali to Copper River it was snowing at higher elevations. It was beautiful but we were glad we were lower than that. Several days it was cloudy but it only rained one time - after we had finished the Evening Wildlife Expediation in Haines. We had what is called a "frog strangler" rain in Skagway as we reboarded the Island. We were able to see Mt. McKinley while on the Tundra Wilderness tour.

We are cruising to Alaska this May and wondered if anyone had been who uses a wheelchair/scooter. I SOOOO want to see a whale, so any suggestions on which trip to go on and where? We will be on P&O Arcadia, but are willing to book our own trip if the ship does not do them.

Thanks for any help anyone can give to us.

I second recommendation of ORCA whale watching in Juneau -- Captain Larry is fun and makes sure you get to see the whales. I did it using a scooter -- when you make arrangements with them, they tell you that their pay area is upstairs -- there is an elevator to it, or you can just send someone up to represent you -- then you can scoot down to the pier area without use of a van -- some friend of mine combined it with a trip to Mendenhall Glacier thru them -- ask about it.

Try to book train ride (life) through cruiseline as it is limited.

Be prepared for rain in Alaska -- it's sort of horizontal in nature and comes on hard. And, don't be put off by ramps getting on and off -- they change with the tides (sometimes rather high), but staff is always more than willing to help you with a push in the back or someone holding you back. Enjoy. It's a wonderful cruise.

Leaving from Seattle? Loved Hyatt Hotel (HC room) and asked concierge for accessible tours via phone beforehand -- one for city including "Needle dinner", tour of city and Pike's, and an all day one with lift for Mount Ranier. Make the most of it and see it all. Vicki

Thanks everyone again. We are going in May. as I said. It is a 72 night cruise from England on P&O Arcadia. I am so looking forward to it. We have an accessible cabin with a balcony, so that will be great when we are just cruising. I am looking forward to the whole cruise, but Alaska will be the highlight I am sure.

P&O released their shore excursions today, so I booked the train in Skagway,and the whale viewing trip in Janeau. I also booked for my dear husband to go salmon fishing in Sitka (tender port, so I stay on ship) and for him to kayak in Prince William sound. It is his birthday then and he deserves a good present. Thank you for your advise, much appreciated. When P&O excursions come back online I will look what else they have, but managed those before they closed the site down.

We're going on Holland America's Amsterdam the end of May on a 14 day r/t out of Seattle. I use a wheelchair fulltime and will be going ashore at Sitka! I'm now going to call and get it in writing. I did not take all those courses in Russian History to miss their capital there! I understand the tender is very easy there and due to normal tides and not rough seas or common bad weather.

Any more info on the whale cruise out of Juneau? My husband lives for those. OK, so we both have great binoculars. :) And I'm taking a lightweight but warm waterproof parka and pull on waterproof pants in case of rain. I found out how cold wet corduroy slacks could be in Istanbul one November.

Lookup Orca Enterprises in Juneau. Capt Larry is awesome! Used him in Sept and we saw a bunch of whales. They'll pick you up in a wheelchair accessible vehicle. I called them from Ketchikan when our itinerary changed and had no issues being booked on a later tour

Thanks Moto. Sounds like the perfect tour for him and me.

This is a bucket list trip for us and there is no way I'm missing the good stuff because of tenders. It's why we nixed our normal Celebrity line. I had 3 different people in their sales office assure me the Summit had the tender escalators. So much for lunch with old friends in Newport and we get informed after they left to meet us and we had priority tender tickets. Trust them again? Yea and I have a summer place on the dark side of the moon... So off to HAL.

Alaska was one of my bucket list places also. I'm going back again soon! It's my favorite cruise i've done!

Northern- Saw your the same level injury as I am in another thread. Another excursion I recommend is a floatplane in Ketchikan to misty fjords. If you have someone able to lift you into the plane. My brother picked me up and carried me up a ramp and into plane. They also picked me up in a wheelchair van which NCL setup thru the flight company.

Hello motor racer

Did you book the sea plane yourself or through the ship? I did manage one in Hawaii with the help of the pilot and my husband,( I have put a little more weight on since then though!!) booked this ourselves.

Which company was the sea plane with and did you get a window seat!!

Hello motor racer

Did you book the sea plane yourself or through the ship? I did manage one in Hawaii with the help of the pilot and my husband,( I have put a little more weight on since then though!!) booked this ourselves.

Which company was the sea plane with and did you get a window seat!!

booked thru the ship after the deadliest catch tour was canceled. We flew with Tusquin Air in Ketchikan and everyone has a window seat. It was pretty easy to get in they have a good size ramp that they use

Afraid a sea plane is out. My hubby would try it but I refuse to let him anymore. I've put on a few pounds and he's got 12 years on me. This is especially difficult to get through to doctors. They seem to think spouses are patient lifters.

I have heard of a helicopter that picks people up in their wheelchairs using a special lift. If anyone has clues to where that is please let me know.

P&O released their shore excursions today, so I booked the train in Skagway,and the whale viewing trip in Janeau. I also booked for my dear husband to go salmon fishing in Sitka (tender port, so I stay on ship) and for him to kayak in Prince William sound. It is his birthday then and he deserves a good present. Thank you for your advise, much appreciated. When P&O excursions come back online I will look what else they have, but managed those before they closed the site down.

You are going to love the train trip ..... it is wonderful. Take a jacket though as it was the coldest day we experienced in the whole month we had in Alaska. Think it got doen to 9 deg and that was in July.

Skagway it delightful .... but then we were VERY lucky to see it PRE CRUISE .... a very different little town with cheaper prices too. Such a shame that cruisers miss seeing these lovely little towns as they really are. Sitka is also very pretty, such a shame you don't get to see it. But hope they have a documentary of it on board .... do get to see that if they do.

Prince William Sound is spectacular. Your husband will enjoy every single minute of it .... make sure you take loads of photos, it really is a photographers paradise!!

Alaska was the most amazing place.... we got up as far as the Arctic Circle and the flowers are out of this world. Colours you will not see elsewhere too.

ENJOY:)

Afraid a sea plane is out. My hubby would try it but I refuse to let him anymore. I've put on a few pounds and he's got 12 years on me. This is especially difficult to get through to doctors. They seem to think spouses are patient lifters.

I have heard of a helicopter that picks people up in their wheelchairs using a special lift. If anyone has clues to where that is please let me know.

Juneau is where the Helicopter tour is.

• 2 months later...

Archived