need experience from suite cruisers w/non suite family

nunk

We recently booked a 14 day r/t to Hawaii on the Sapphire. We've booked a suite (our first time in a full suite and on Princess!) for hubby and I and a nearby inside cabin for our 3 kids. Here's the ?:

On our booking, we had to put my husband and son in one cabin and myself in the other cabin with our girls since my oldest will only be 17 at the time of sailing (missing the cruise required age of 18 to book a cabin). Obviously we know that we don't have to sleep that way, but what, if anything, will that mean for our suite "privileges"? I was looking forward to having breakfast in Sabatini's most mornings and wonder if my hubby and son will be in there without me! :eek: ...and are our other kids out of luck for the entire trip?

Seriously, if anyone with any experience of the "suite life" and "non-suite family members" could share I would appreciate it!

Nicole

We recently booked a 14 day r/t to Hawaii on the Sapphire. We've booked a suite (our first time in a full suite and on Princess!) for hubby and I and a nearby inside cabin for our 3 kids. Here's the ?:

On our booking, we had to put my husband and son in one cabin and myself in the other cabin with our girls since my oldest will only be 17 at the time of sailing (missing the cruise required age of 18 to book a cabin). Obviously we know that we don't have to sleep that way, but what, if anything, will that mean for our suite "privileges"? I was looking forward to having breakfast in Sabatini's most mornings and wonder if my hubby and son will be in there without me! :eek: ...and are our other kids out of luck for the entire trip?

Seriously, if anyone with any experience of the "suite life" and "non-suite family members" could share I would appreciate it!

Nicole

We have the same situation coming up on the Ruby.....please help! :D

I'm thinking since 5 won't fit in a suite that they may extend the suite priviledges to myself since they won't allow 3 children under 13 to stay in a cabin by themselves. I'm hoping to work something out with the Captain's Circle rep or the Purser.

I can give you my experience which actually was on the Sapphire last year. My wife and I were in a PH and we brought my 89 year old father and mother, along with my 89 year old father in law and my 75 year old Aunt. They were all in balcony cabins. The Head waiter in Sabatinis would not bend the rules and let me bring them at all. I finally went to the head Matri D and asked him permission to bring them for at least one breakfast. He was very gracious but firm in telling me that he would allow it for one day and one day only. We had a wonderful breakfast that day and they still talk about it. From what I understand, this was a rarity to get this and I was grateful to be able to share the experience.

Bob

Boy! Aren't they silly!! I would try to keep from being asked. Take your husband to breakfast or dinner and say, "OH, these are my children," but don't volunteer anything. It's like if a policeman stops you and asks you, "DO you know how fast you were going?" You'd say,"NO." You sure wouldnt say "YES" because he can charge you with any speed and say you said you knew. Keep quiet people. I do notfeel like you're trying to beat the system here. On the other hand there is no difference in the food in any restaurant on Princess ships except for Vivaldi and the specials.

Boy! Aren't they silly!! I would try to keep from being asked. Take your husband to breakfast or dinner and say, "OH, these are my children," but don't volunteer anything. It's like if a policeman stops you and asks you, "DO you know how fast you were going?" You'd say,"NO." You sure wouldnt say "YES" because he can charge you with any speed and say you said you knew. Keep quiet people. I do notfeel like you're trying to beat the system here. On the other hand there is no difference in the food in any restaurant on Princess ships except for Vivaldi and the specials.

The one problem with taking others to Sabatinis for breakfast is that they have a list of names of the suite passengers. And they check your name against the list before allowing you in. No name on the list, no admittance without prior approval, which seems to be very difficult to get for guests.

The one problem with taking others to Sabatinis for breakfast is that they have a list of names of the suite passengers. And they check your name against the list before allowing you in. No name on the list, no admittance without prior approval, which seems to be very difficult to get for guests.

This is very true. They check that list religiously.....:):):)

Bob

If you are not paying for a suite, why should you receive the benefits of the suite, if they are going to do that why should people pay more for a suite, Sabatinis could get crowded and then it wouldn't be a benefit. You could book two suites. And your logic doesn't make sense and "ignorance of the law is no excuse."

On our booking, we had to put my husband and son in one cabin and myself in the other cabin with our girls since my oldest will only be 17 at the time of sailing (missing the cruise required age of 18 to book a cabin).

It is my understanding that if you are booked nearby in a suite, that the age 18 requirement for your daughter will not apply. Check again and see if they will not book it the way you really want.

If not, once onboard you can go to the Purser's desk and tell them the way it really will be.

Once you are officially in a suite, then you can join your husband for that breakfast. As others have pointed out, those not on the list as being in a suite cannot go to that breatfast.

We have the same situation coming up on the Ruby.....please help! :D

I'm thinking since 5 won't fit in a suite that they may extend the suite priviledges to myself since they won't allow 3 children under 13 to stay in a cabin by themselves. I'm hoping to work something out with the Captain's Circle rep or the Purser.

Please let us know what happens once you return!!

It is my understanding that if you are booked nearby in a suite, that the age 18 requirement for your daughter will not apply. Check again and see if they will not book it the way you really want.

If not, once onboard you can go to the Purser's desk and tell them the way it really will be.

Once you are officially in a suite, then you can join your husband for that breakfast. As others have pointed out, those not on the list as being in a suite cannot go to that breatfast.

I didn't even think to ask the agency about this since I assumed the rule of booking at age 18 would supersede all circumstances. I suppose I should check into this. I would prefer to have my name on the suite so there are no issues to deal with once we set sail!

Thanks for the advice and keep it coming...........

Please let us know what happens once you return!!

I didn't even think to ask the agency about this since I assumed the rule of booking at age 18 would supersede all circumstances. I suppose I should check into this. I would prefer to have my name on the suite so there are no issues to deal with once we set sail!

Thanks for the advice and keep it coming...........

Please do have your travel agent book you all in the correct rooms. There is NOT a problem since you are traveling with the "kids" and will be in a room very near by. We have done this on Princess in the past with our teens, and had no difficulty. Just have your travel agent put every one in the proper room, and mark "no upgrades" so the kids are not moved away from you.

Ginger

Please do have your travel agent book you all in the correct rooms. There is NOT a problem since you are traveling with the "kids" and will be in a room very near by. We have done this on Princess in the past with our teens, and had no difficulty. Just have your travel agent put every one in the proper room, and mark "no upgrades" so the kids are not moved away from you.

Ginger

Thank you for the info Ginger! I will call today and make sure this is corrected. Hope there will be no issue.

Check out Princess.com here: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/before.jsp

Age requirements

Passengers under the age of 21 years must travel in a stateroom with a passenger 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. We are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each passenger agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any passenger in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all passengers under their supervision.

As long as there is someone in the stateroom 16 years or older in the younger children's cabin, it's no problem when a family group is traveling together in different staterooms.

Check out Princess.com here: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/before.jsp

Age requirements

Passengers under the age of 21 years must travel in a stateroom with a passenger 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. We are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each passenger agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any passenger in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all passengers under their supervision.

As long as there is someone in the stateroom 16 years or older in the younger children's cabin, it's no problem when a family group is traveling together in different staterooms.

This is what I needed...thanks! I wish my travel agency would have known that when I originally booked it!

Archived