Dangerous Tunis stop?

Netta7

Has HAL ever gone to Ajaccio? I wonder what HAL's substitute would be? I read something that implied HAL needed a scheduled non-EU stop for tax reasons?

Looking forward to peace everywhere.

What other ports are scheduled on this cruise you are considering?

We found Carthage to be quite disappointing...nothing like Ephesus, Pompeii, or even Olympia. (We did the 20 day collectors' on Noordam). The only plus was that we could "say" that we'd been to Africa. (Unfortunately, this ticked off our world traveller daughter so much that she's leaving February 1st to spend 5-6 months there!) I'd have been happy to visit a port in France, or maybe Sardinia? Not sure if Gibraltar is within range?

I've never heard about the EU tax thing...........and I'd love for someone to explain it, if possible.

From the photos I've seen, I imagine Carthage is a lot like Troy. There's not a lot to be seen, but for some (like me) it's the mere idea of being at the place that has such legendary history. When I visited Troy, many on our tour were disappointed. I found it sublimely uplifting to visit the storied location of the Trojan war. But then I was reading the Iliad and Odyssey (abridged versions of course) by the age of 10, and studied the Aeneid in depth in college. :o

Clearly it's not everyone's cup of tea....but I can't wait to get there!

Has HAL ever gone to Ajaccio? I wonder what HAL's substitute would be? I read something that implied HAL needed a scheduled non-EU stop for tax reasons?

Looking forward to peace everywhere.

Yes, we stopped there last summer on the same cruise that stopped a Tunisia.

Kirk

From the photos I've seen, I imagine Carthage is a lot like Troy. There's not a lot to be seen, but for some (like me) it's the mere idea of being at the place that has such legendary history. When I visited Troy, many on our tour were disappointed. I found it sublimely uplifting to visit the storied location of the Trojan war. But then I was reading the Iliad and Odyssey (abridged versions of course) by the age of 10, and studied the Aeneid in depth in college. :o

Clearly it's not everyone's cup of tea....but I can't wait to get there!

I haven't been to Troy but at most of Carthage there is not a lot to see. The Baths have the most intact ruins. The Romans did an excellent job of laying Carthage low. To me it was a little like Olympia but even less. It does help if you are a history buff (which I am).

Kirk

If they only visit Euro countries, then they have to add 15% (or more now?) to any onboard purchases. If they visit a country like Croatia then they do not.

Ajaccio is in Majorca, Majorca, Minorca all belong to Spain so yes, they are in the Euro zone. Greece too. Suspect that is why so many cruises who visit Greece also visit turkey.

If they only visit Euro countries, then they have to add 15% (or more now?) to any onboard purchases. If they visit a country like Croatia then they do not.

Ajaccio is in Majorca, Majorca, Minorca all belong to Spain so yes, they are in the Euro zone. Greece too. Suspect that is why so many cruises who visit Greece also visit turkey.

Ajaccio is in Corsica which belongs to France. Still the EU though. I wonder what the ships will do this summer? Looking at western Med cruises, it seems that most cruise ships do not stop at non eu countries.

Ajaccio is in Corsica which belongs to France. Still the EU though. I wonder what the ships will do this summer? Looking at western Med cruises, it seems that most cruise ships do not stop at non eu countries.

Yes, Bonnie, you are correct. Ajjaccio is part of France. Corsica is of course and they are big with Napolean statues and such. They are of course part of the European union.

We have been to Gibraltar and it is a very nice place. They use the GB Pounds so I am not sure if they are in the European union or not.

Archived