Warning about gift vouchers

Scorpio1411

Sorry I don't quite understand your reasoning. Are you saying that as a Gold Portunus Member, I should have got my 10% off the bottle of Bubbly I ordered yesterday for my son in law's birthday? He is on Arcadia on the World Cruise. I am NOT on a cruise. So how do I claim my 10%?

Mike

If you worked for P&O or were an affiliate or got a promo code or an introductory email or a discount voucher or had earned reward points etc and you got a discount off your purchase then asked P&O to place a gift voucher on his account for the bottle (because we're talking about gift vouchers) and he's already a Portunus member, then the discount would have been worth double.

If on the other hand you wanted him to save 10% then you would have given him the money so he could have used it and saved the 10% on his account, but then you would have had to give him the full cost of the bottle instead of saving 10% if you bought the gift voucher ..........

Example

Bottle of Champagne costs £50

£50 voucher, costs you £45 because you used a promo code (getting 10% off) to buy it with.

£50 credited to on board account

Portunus member buys champagne for £50 but gets 10%

gold Portunus discount

£50 bottle of champagne cost £40 (double discount!!!) = not good business!!!

Confused.......... you will be, but it's not your age this time, it's your rationale;)

I cannot see the problem.

Your relatives paid £100 for a voucher which got you £100 of goods or services on board. You got what they paid for, no more, no less. You got a loyalty cashback on everthing you paid for out of your own pocket.

Can't see anything wrong with that.

You go to reception on the last night of the cruise. Can I have a statment of my account?

Certainly, here it is, you have a balance of £850.

Ok, I have a gift voucher for £100 I had forgotten about, can I use that?

Certainly, we will credit your account with it.

Your balance is now £760.

Would you be happy with that?

Brian

I am with Jeanlyon and Rosebaskets on this.

The gift voucher was paid for by another person. Whether that person is a Portunus member or not is immaterial, as they aren't on that cruise and are not spending money which is theirs. When they do spend money, which is theirs, then they are obviously entitled to their Portunas discount when on a cruise, whatever % that is.

Some want it all, even for, at the most a meagre £10.

I am with Jeanlyon and Rosebaskets on this.

The gift voucher was paid for by another person. Whether that person is a Portunus member or not is immaterial, as they aren't on that cruise and are not spending money which is theirs. When they do spend money, which is theirs, then they are obviously entitled to their Portunas discount when on a cruise, whatever % that is.

Some want it all, even for, at the most a meagre £10.

I agree. What's £10 in the context of what you paid for your cruise? On the other hand, some people are never happy unless they have something to fuss and fret about, and many of them sail with P&O!

[/b]

I agree. What's £10 in the context of what you paid for your cruise? On the other hand, some people are never happy unless they have something to fuss and fret about, and many of them sail with P&O!

Denarius, the actual amount of the voucher was never actually stated. What the OP was aiming to do, I think, was warn people that if you are given a gift voucher you have to forfeit your Portanus discount whereas if their parents had given them the cash in their hands, it would have been worth a bit more as the discounts would have kicked in.

P&O get the money in hand for the gift voucher early and then don't have to give discount for that much of the onboard spend. I don't think the OP was fussing or fretting about it; just giving us the heads up about it. :o

[/b]

Why do you have to resort to being nasty and horrible????? And where are you getting £10 from - I never mentioned the price of the voucher? And I've already apologised if people think I'm causing a fuss about nothing. As I have already said, I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE MONEY, IT'S THE PRINCIPLE. :rolleyes:

Denarius, the actual amount of the voucher was never actually stated. What the OP was aiming to do, I think, was warn people that if you are given a gift voucher you have to forfeit your Portanus discount whereas if their parents had given them the cash in their hands, it would have been worth a bit more as the discounts would have kicked in.

P&O get the money in hand for the gift voucher early and then don't have to give discount for that much of the onboard spend. I don't think the OP was fussing or fretting about it; just giving us the heads up about it. :o

Thank you Cruiser.

Why do you have to resort to being nasty and horrible????? And where are you getting £10 from - I never mentioned the price of the voucher? And I've already apologised if people think I'm causing a fuss about nothing. As I have already said, I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE MONEY, IT'S THE PRINCIPLE. :rolleyes:

Scorpio1411

I would not worry about about posters like that, it appears that being unpleasant is their raison d'être :D

Cb

[/b]

Oh, diddums. We are thin skinned.

If you think that the above relatively mild comment is "nasty and horrible" you have obviously led a sheltered life. :)

This post is, in my view, trivia blown out of all proportion. Not really something that needed to be aired in every cruise forum going - or at least three that I am personally aware of.

This post is, in my view, trivia blown out of all proportion. Not really something that needed to be aired in every cruise forum going - or at least three that I am personally aware of.

The fact that it is being so hotly discussed on 3 forums would suggest to ME that it is of concern to many.

Cb

It would seem that P&O apply a gift credit to your account the same way as they apply OBC to your account which would explain why your Portunis discount does not kick in until after you have spent both your OBC and gift credit.

I get a discount on my purchases where I work, if I buy a gift card for someone I do not get a discount. However if I use a gift card to pay for purchases I do get my discount, so a £100 gift card would buy me £110 worth of goods as I get a 10% discount.

I think P&O should apply gift credit to your account in the same way as they apply a cash advance because that is what is is. In many cases it may well be a small amount but it could make quite a difference if you qualify for a 10% discount and have been gifted £500. That £50 would buy a meal for two in some of the alternative restaurants,quite a few drinks or something nice from the shop.

The fact that it is being so hotly discussed on 3 forums would suggest to ME that it is of concern to many.

Cb

Or that one person has turned a minor dissappointment into a personal crusade by posting what is essentially the same post on every forum of which they are a member?

Or that one person has turned a minor dissappointment into a personal crusade?

I think that your 'one person' has raised a very good matter and under no circumstances will I ever buy a person a PandO Gift Voucher.

How many more are 'now aware' of the underhanded practice?

Mike

I think that your 'one person' has raised a very good matter and under no circumstances will I ever buy a person a PandO Gift Voucher.

How many more are 'now aware' of the underhanded practice?

Mike

Well i'm cruising with P&O for the first time this summer , so have nop such worries like the OP , so if any one wants to buy me a P&O gift voucher it'd be happily received ;) lol

Well i'm cruising with P&O for the first time this summer , so have nop such worries like the OP , so if any one wants to buy me a P&O gift voucher it'd be happily received ;) lol

In the interest of research, I vote that Rum Rat buys you a £500 gift voucher, with the utmost confidence that it will not affect your Portunus discount (which you won't be entitled to anyway) and we can put this little disagreement to rest :D

In the interest of research, I vote that Rum Rat buys you a £500 gift voucher, with the utmost confidence that it will not affect your Portunus discount (which you won't be entitled to anyway) and we can put this little disagreement to rest :D

oh okay then , i'm willing to be the guinea pig ;) lol

Archived