2 night "Taste of France"..Dec 2011

QM2 fan

Anyone done one of these? Thinking of booking it just to show the kids the QM2..

Is there a formal night?Can you go anywhere on the Cherbourg stop? Any top tips???

It is a 2 night party cruise. There is no formal night. I did one this year and it was ok but the passengers were not the normal people that Cunard attracts. If the deal was right I would certainly consider doing it again. If I remember correctly I got over half of my fare back as on board credit. Cherbourg is ok, a nice port with bars and restaurants/cafes on the harbourside. There are excursions to the D-Day beaches and cemeteries, which are very moving, there might even be a 10 or so hour trip to Paris :eek:. No tips really other than to enjoy yourselves.

Thanks Cap'n....may I be so bold as to ask what cabin you were in? We've only been offered a measly 20USD OBC,and even possibly, nil OBC....depending on who I speak to....We usually travel QG or PG,but with the kids we are thinking of Britannia..

Thanks Cap'n....may I be so bold as to ask what cabin you were in? We've only been offered a measly 20USD OBC,and even possibly, nil OBC....depending on who I speak to....We usually travel QG or PG,but with the kids we are thinking of Britannia..

I was in steerage in an in hull balcony, fabulous. Deck 4, 5 or 6 towards the bow, so near to the Commodore Club. Only been in the grills once on QE. Fabulous luxury but I can do it more often down below on the cash that I save.

With prices being charged I think you might look at a 5 day on QE in May for £499 vs your 2 day at £329. Give more of a flavour of Cunard although it is not QM2. However on April 14, a TA on QM2 with one night in NYC and fly home for only £679. Very tempting

Well QM2 is the one as the kids have heard all about it, but we are limited by school terms etc...eldest is in the middle of GCSE's so can't take any time off....wish I could see the pries you are getting though-I haven't spotted anything that cheap! We paid £2,250 each for QG cabin 9007 (just a few steps from Commodore club!) in Sept last year...

Well QM2 is the one as the kids have heard all about it, but we are limited by school terms etc...eldest is in the middle of GCSE's so can't take any time off....wish I could see the pries you are getting though-I haven't spotted anything that cheap! We paid £2,250 each for QG cabin 9007 (just a few steps from Commodore club!) in Sept last year...

email me on jmc at jmclondon dot com

You might be better booking nearer the time. I still have the emails Cunard sent me with offers on for the 2 nighter last November.

At the moment Cunard's website gives from £599 for a balcony cabin.

In May the Cunard email gave the lead price of £353 and onboard credit of between $150and $400.

In August their email gave a 2-4-1 offer of A3 balcony was £650 now £325.

Hi,

I did this same trip in July '08.

I went with complete novice cruisers and was extremely worried about the impression they would get from a 'party cruise'.

Our paperwork gave the dress code as; first night-Informal, second night-optional Formal/Casual. Now bear in mind that our first night was also the last night for those doing NYC-Cherbourg, so their documentation gave that night as Casual, and our second night was the first night for those boarding in Cherbourg, so for them it was also Casual. My worst fears were confirmed in the Kings Court after boarding when the dress code appeared to be 'Benidorm at Glasgow Fair Fortnight'.

However, come evening(s) everything changed. It turned out to be one of the dressiest cruises I have been on. To the extent that my friend (and his wife) thanked me for convincing him to take both a suit, for the Informal, and a dinner suit, for the Formal/Casual. On the second night every male, from 5-95, (bar one) followed either the spirit or the letter of the Formal dress code (the one was wearing jeans so didn't, theoretically, even meet the Casual requirements).

In port my friend and I did a tour of the Normandy beaches while the women 'emptied the shops'.

Top Tip: Do not expect a relaxing two days!

Regards, Colin.

Hi QM2 fan

I took one of these two night voyages on QM2 almost three years ago. On that occasion my parents, friends and myself stayed on board the ship in Cherbourg (on a later trip on QV that included Cherbourg amongst other ports, I did explore the town).

Although a few of the things I would expect to see on a longer voyage were unavailable/closed there was still afternoon tea in the Queens Room, the Spa was open, and new passengers could get a taste of the greater things to come on a longer voyage.

The first night was "elegant casual". However, we did have a "formal night" (the second evening) of a sort, this was billed as "optional formal" as there were many passengers who joined the ship in France for the start of their transatlantic crossing via Southampton. Therefore that evening approx 90% of passengers were dressed formally and the others were dressed "elegant casual" as this was their first night.

The "send off" from Cherbourg was amazing, it seemed the whole town turned out to Queen Mary 2 depart.

Pictures of this sailaway, of the vast crowds and the many boats etc that chased QM2 out of Cherbourg harbour are available via the link below under "QM2 Cruise" with 198 photos.

There are pictures of Cherbourg under "QV Cruise".

I hope you have a great time, Bon Voyage!

Hi,

I too did this trip in November last year for someone's birthday. The ship is lovely, 2 nights is very short and you won't get the best from her for certain - but if the price is right I would recommend it.

There is a fantastic submarine museum at the port (largest retired nuclear submarine in the world that is available for public tours) and an amazing aquarium too - they discount to Cunard passengers who show their room keys!

Book it! :)

Cheers,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I did the 2 day trip last year, no formal nights, but still enjoyed it.

My friend and I got an A4 cabin for about £628.00 with $200 OBC each so it was a party cruise for us.

I am on QE in January 2012 so not lookin at this trip but they are doing one in October I am tempted by if they right offer comes along. :)

I did the 2 day trip last year, no formal nights, but still enjoyed it.

My friend and I got an A4 cabin for about £628.00 with $200 OBC each so it was a party cruise for us.

I am on QE in January 2012 so not lookin at this trip but they are doing one in October I am tempted by if they right offer comes along. :)

The October prices are showing lower than the December ones on Cunard's website.

Archived