Dec. 21, 2012. Will you cruise or not?

jandjfun

I won't be cruising on that date.

I know this because I have a lot of work at the end of the year and never take December vacations. :)

The 2012 "end of the world" hype is moronic, just like all of the other "end of the world" predictions.

I predict the world will end on 3/25/11, so you'd better cancel those b2b cruises you got going there. :p

I am curious to see how many people have no qualms with cruising on this date. My sister said she wants to be cruising and I said no way. I want to be home with my family. Just in case:eek:. I don't even know that I believe all that is said about the end of the world, but I don't want to risk it either!

How do you feel about it? Would you cruise on that date?

This is a bunch of miscalculated woo-woo and new age hocum. Makes for good TV ratings and poor quality movies. The Mayan's had a cyclical way of viewing th eworld and when one phase of a cycle, short or long term, ended another began. Since these cycles were fixed, no need to change the dating system. The "discoverer" of the longest cycle, where several cycles converge, made numberous errors in trying to interupt the dating to conform with our calendar system and in effect was wrong and has been highly disputed by other Mayan "experts".

BTW, you will notice that the Mayan civilization/culture that created the cities and temples ended long before any of their cycles did.

so in answer to your question...I have no qualms about sailing in December 2012 or anytime.

my mom is on this rant that the world is going to end and the poles are going to switch and we're all gonna die. screw that, do you really believe the mayans, a civilization who ended up killing themselves off? i don't believe it, but as you said i would rather be home with my family *just in case*

Mayans are very much alive in Mexico now,

Mayan decendents you mean. But Mayan high culture and temples, beliefs, mores et. al. are long gone. What exists today is simply the life style of peasants adapted to current times.

There are still some who do ceremony's at the sites and temples.

1) I had no idea what your thread meant until I opened it

related to 2

2) I won't be cruising, but that's because I'm a teacher, and will likely still be in school....

I would easily be on a cruise on that date if I could... heck I'd move onto a cruise ship if I could! :D

interesting thread though

Well if endtimes are apon us, where better to be than the Lido!

Honestly, last year I spend a while way out in the bush in central Guatemala, and spoke to several different Mayan mystics/priests on several occasions, they said that the whole 2012 things was just BS to sell t-shirts! :):)

Mayan decendents you mean. But Mayan high culture and temples, beliefs, mores et. al. are long gone. What exists today is simply the life style of peasants adapted to current times.

They do allot more classical Mayan rituals and customs than most folks are aware of unless you are WAY away from traditional tourist spots in southern mexico and guatemala. Some of these have melded with catholisism, others are pretty close to the classic mayan beliefs.

My plan is to be on a cruise that week.

Preferably one where I can get to a Mayan ruin.

I just wish they'd come out with the schedule already!

I want to be on a mayan Excursion, standing atop a pyramid when the end of the Mayan Cycle comes...

Been telling my wife this for 3 or 4 years now.

(needless to say, she thinks I'm nuts)

Bill

[quote name='PhxRain'] I was listening to the radio the other day & they were talking about another "end of the world" date. So I listened just out of curiosity and they said it would be May 12, 2011!:eek: [/quote]

LOL! That's my 10 year wedding anniversary........wonder what that means? :rolleyes:

we did xunantunich last year. The guides said over and over again no one knows what brought the demise of the mayan civilization. His words, not mine. My husband thinks they all died from breaking their ankles/legs walking up and down the steps. :D He did say that it has been discussed that some fled from their homes, but that we should regard that as B.S. (basic speculation) he also said never forget that when the experts have a theory that that is also B.S. (basic speculation)....and i know from countless years of helping DS with science projects, a theory is just a guess. So i would be taking the Mayan facts with a very large grain of salt. The truth is....no one really knows.

Maybe the Mayan guy that was figuring out the calender finally got burnt out after calculated out 2000 years of calenders and said he wasn't going to do any more, or maybe he didn't cross train retired and there wasn't anyone there to take over.

The Mayan long count is almost 400 years long. This will be the end of the 13th cycle. Why the world ends after this one and not one of the previous twelve is never explained. My guess is [I]the world ending[/I] sells more books and movie tickets than [I]the count starts over[/I]. :D

Our guide at Chichen Itza told us that is was considered very special and reason for celebration to be alive at the end of a cycle/start of a new cycle.

Archived