48 Day Europe or 58 Day Pacific?-50thB'Day/25th Anniversary

glutenhab

We have narrowed our choices for a fall/2011 cruise to 58 days on the Zuderdam starting Nov 25, doing Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands & on up through Asia to Hong Kong or 48 days on the Rotterdam starting Sep 7/11 doing the Baltic, Europe, Black Sea & the Med. While they are very different experiences, we are excited about either. Our only concern with this one is how port intensive it is (10 sea days in 48). We are 52 & 49 and healthy & fit but want to relax a little as well. Normally we search out itineraries with as many ports as possible but this many has me a little worried. Our longest cruise so far was 14 days, & while we have travelled fairly extensively, most of these ports would be new to us & we wouldn't want to miss anything. Any thoughts?

As well, how does the Rotterdam compare to the Zuderdam? We have not yet sailed HAL but from what I have read here we should be happy with the on board experience. We like quiet & relaxing. I realize that in the end we have to go with our own wants but I am curious as to what you would you do if you were in our boat?

progress.gif

We have narrowed our choices for a fall/2011 cruise to 58 days on the Zuderdam starting Nov 25, doing Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands & on up through Asia to Hong Kong or 48 days on the Rotterdam starting Sep 7/11 doing the Baltic, Europe, Black Sea & the Med. While they are very different experiences, we are excited about either. Our only concern with this one is how port intensive it is (10 sea days in 48). We are 52 & 49 and healthy & fit but want to relax a little as well. Normally we search out itineraries with as many ports as possible but this many has me a little worried. Our longest cruise so far was 14 days, & while we have travelled fairly extensively, most of these ports would be new to us & we wouldn't want to miss anything. Any thoughts?

As well, how does the Rotterdam compare to the Zuderdam? We have not yet sailed HAL but from what I have read here we should be happy with the on board experience. We like quiet & relaxing. I realize that in the end we have to go with our own wants but I am curious as to what you would you do if you were in our boat?

progress.gif

Sorry....Zaandam

Gosh, I dont know what I'd do if i were in your boat but I'd love to be in either one! :-)

I'd probably choose the Med one, but I have a thing for the Med :-) You could always decide which ports can be "light", meaning, you can do little in them, or decided to skip them, etc. I know it would be hard though, because how can you choose! If you've already been to some that could help you decide as well if you wanted to make some ports relaxation days.

Either way, you have got a great "problem" on your hands :-)

Boy what a tought decision.

Do I wish i had your problem. I would probably lean towards your South Pacific one. It can be a long flight so this way it's worth while.

The Med (which I love) is great. The Baltics are gorgeous. and you're right. It is very port intensive and you will be quite busy. Some of the ports are not as intense (Tallin for example) but, it is still a busy schedule.

I would gladly do either, but would probably do the first one as it's more 'different'.

You might also want to take a look at some of the reviews on the board on the two ships. You're going to be on for a while, so that might impact your decision as well.

I'm sure you will get lots of input on your very interesting dilema :)

either way - it sounds fantastic. congratualtions and happy cruising:):)

Either cruise is great, but I would choose the South Pacific/Asia cruise.

Although I love the Baltic, the itinerary is intense. It's totally exhausting. Add the Med to the mix, and you have a recipe for disappointment. You will not be able to keep up the pace that you would feel compelled to do. Ten sea days is just not sufficient to recouperate.

The South Pacific itinerary would have more of a balance of sea/port days. There's a chance to rest.

Another thought is the long trip to Australia. Personally, I think it's better to do this flight when you're still young enough to handle it. I'm heading that way soon, and now I'm sorry that I didn't cruise this area of the world when I was stronger. I'm dreading the flights.

Now, as to the ships. I have 129 days sailed on this Rotterdam, and have loved the ship dearly. But, all of my time there was before the changes of a year ago. Since then, the reports have made me wonder if I would still enjoy the ship as I once did. There are constant problems which would impact on basic comfort, and 58 days of it would be terrible.

The Zaandam is essentially the same size as the Rotterdam, so it's equal there. The Zaandam is a beautiful ship, and I found it most comfortable. The music theme carried out throughout the public rooms is interesting and attractive. It's fun to discover a new interpretation even many days into the cruise.

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time! You really can't go wrong.

Appreciate the input & looking for me. Please chime in, as we have to decide very soon.

So far it looks like the South Pacific is leading since obviously the vote by Ruth (the Cruise Sleuth) counts as 3.

Thanks for the advice Ruth!

Archived