Curfew For Teens???????

mikeblum

DOES rccl have a curfew for the teenages on board...i thought i read on a previous thread that it was 1am...is this true and is there one...we have been with rccl 9 previous times and did not realize that there was a curfew...we will be on the vos in 3 weeks which will make us diamond memebers of the c and a...

No, there was not a curfew. We just got back from our cruise on the Enchantment last week with our 17 year old son. One night he came walking in at 5:30 a.m. and the last night he came in at 6:00 a.m. which I was not too happy about! I wish there would have been a curfew on the ship.

We just cruised on the NOS with friends and there 12 year old and 17 year old....they came walking tinto the cabin at 3 am in the morning annd one morninng at 5 so there was no curfew that was being upheld by the cruiseline

We did the Mariner back in Jan and both my 13 and 15 yo were routinely out until 1:30 am. They came back as late as 2:30 once but after a bit of parental "counseling" they started to come back earlier. No fuss from RCL though.

Reltco

Teens coming in at 5:30 and 6:00 in the morning and the parents' thought it is the ship's fault because there was no curfew??!!?? You as parents should have set the curfew. Do you let them come home that late, or that early, at home? Granted there is no place for them to go but the ocean, but things still could happen, by them or too them. Remember they are still minors and you as parents are still responsible.

Good lord - 5 & 6 a.m.??? I couldn't stay up that late if someone paid me......well on second thought... What is there to do at that hour on the ship? I thought the teen clubs closed at some hour. I would imagine that there aren't all that many employees/crew out and about all hours of the night either. I agree, the parents are the ones that should be setting the curfews. I would be horrified if my son was coming in as I was getting up & ready for the day. Might have been his last cruise.

I am a teen and when i was on mariner in august there was no curfew and most kids were out till 4am every night and nothing was ever said. When i went on mariner for the second time during christmas i was walking thru the promenade at 5am to get to my room because i came up on the wrong side of the elevators nd was brought to the front desk by a security guard and was then told that because of me the curfew for all

teens was to be enforced for the remainder of the cruise and i also had to wait there so my parents could come and pick me up and i was told by the head desk person that if my name came up again with security that i would be kicked off the boat at the next port. But i wouldnt worry about the "supposed curfew" because 3 days later a group of about 20 teens were hanging out in the promenade at 4am including myself and that same lady

and security guard who told me i was to be kicked off just sat there and didnt say anything. Other then that i have never had any problem with the curfew.Personally i think a curfew should be and individual family issue and should not be mandated by a cruise ship.

But i wouldnt worry about the "supposed curfew" because 3 days later a group of about 20 teens were hanging out in the promenade at 4am including myself and that same lady

and security guard who told me i was to be kicked off just sat there and didnt say anything.

So basically after the front desk/security told you that if your name came up on the list again, you'd be kicked off the ship, you still proceeded to ignore their warning?:confused:

You've got to be kidding? Your parents had to come and get you from the front desk and after being instructed on the curfew rules you continued to break curfew? No respect for authority. This is the problem most cruisers have with teens - some cannot follow the rules, and obviously this set of parents couldn't have cared less either. What really gets me is that the parents and teens that do follow the rules end up being lumped into the same catagory as the ones that don't.

I am a teen and when i was on mariner in august there was no curfew and most kids were out till 4am every night and nothing was ever said. When i went on mariner for the second time during christmas i was walking thru the promenade at 5am to get to my room because i came up on the wrong side of the elevators nd was brought to the front desk by a security guard and was then told that because of me the curfew for all

teens was to be enforced for the remainder of the cruise and i also had to wait there so my parents could come and pick me up and i was told by the head desk person that if my name came up again with security that i would be kicked off the boat at the next port. But i wouldnt worry about the "supposed curfew" because 3 days later a group of about 20 teens were hanging out in the promenade at 4am including myself and that same lady

and security guard who told me i was to be kicked off just sat there and didnt say anything. Other then that i have never had any problem with the curfew.Personally i think a curfew should be and individual family issue and should not be mandated by a cruise ship.

Apparently not only did you show blatant disregard for the rules but your parents showed blatant disregard for them also. They also showed disregard for your safety and well being or they would have set "very strict" limits for you after being hauled out of bed at 5am to retrieve you. This is a clear picture of a teen and their parent(s) who just don't care about rules. And the sad thing is I think that the parent(s) doesn't care about their teen either. Very sad!!! :(

Cindy

I could care less whether there is a curfew or not...I don't let my son out that late at home so I don't know why I would on a ship. Now granted, it's because I don't like him driving that late. but..as the old saying goes, nothing good ever happens after midnight.

The cruiselines are in a tough situation,if they do enforce a curfew they get slammed about why are they picking on my kids,they were not doing anything at 3am just sitting around talking,and if they don't enforce a curfew,they get people complaining about kids running around unsupervised. IMHO it would only take a few families put off in a foreign port due to misbehaving kids to bring this problem to a head. These unsupervised kids parents, would be the first ones to sue RCI should there little angel get hurt, raped or killed while aboard the ship due to there lack of supervision.

I could care less whether there is a curfew or not...I don't let my son out that late at home so I don't know why I would on a ship. Now granted' date=' it's because I don't like him driving that late. but..as the old saying goes, nothing good ever happens after midnight.[/quote']

There's no substitute for good parenting!!! Nuff said.

No, there was not a curfew. We just got back from our cruise on the Enchantment last week with our 17 year old son. One night he came walking in at 5:30 a.m. and the last night he came in at 6:00 a.m. which I was not too happy about! I wish there would have been a curfew on the ship.>>>>

He did this twice in one vacation. Did you punish him?

I remember a couple years ago we went on vacation with a large group, and one evening one of the ladies didn't come to dinner. Her husband was kind of quiet about why, but she told us the next day that she'd been forced to stay in the room because one of their teens needed to be grounded. She told me (years later) that was the one and only time she'd ever grounded that particular child. She proved that she would do what was right, even if it meant that she (the mom) missed an event she really wanted to attend; the child learned her lesson. In the long run, it was much more valuable than a dinner.

I don't care if there's a ship-wide curfew or not. There is most definitely a curfew in my cabin, and it will be earlier than 1 AM.

teens was to be enforced for the remainder of the cruise and i also had to wait there so my parents could come and pick me up and i was told by the head desk person that if my name came up again with security that i would be kicked off the boat at the next port. But i wouldnt worry about the "supposed curfew" because 3 days later a group of about 20 teens were hanging out in the promenade at 4am including myself

I'm amazed that parents would allow their children to run around this late-- especially after receiving a personal warning from the cruise staff. In the wee hours of the night, when few people are up and around, it wouldn't take much for a girl to be raped in some dark corner. How well do teens really know all those new cruise friends anyway? I certainly wouldn't allow my daughters to be in such a position. I don't expect my girls to believe that anyone would hurt them -- it's part of being young and naive -- while they're teens, it's my job as a parent to be careful for them.

Interesting discussion. My kids are no longer teens, but you can bet we observed a curfew in this house and enforced it. Rarely were they permitted to be out after 1 a.m. and that was when they were at the high end of their teen years.

I'm not going to pass parenting judgement but I'm just dying to know...WHAT in the WORLD was your teen doing out until 5:30 and 6am???? Was this a 14 year old? Or a 19 year old? (Huge difference!)

P.S...I AM passing judgement while sitting here on my couch though....LOL!!! Just won't post my opinion here.

Lori, I agree that age does make a difference. A 17 year old should have a later curfew than a 13 year old. Still, where and what were these kids doing that late? I may be the mother of a 23 year old but I'm not brain dead - I still remember being a teen ager and I know what kind of trouble can be had when there is no adult supervision.

We will be cruising with my 17 yr old DD and her 18 yr. old friend at the end of the month. We've already established a few rules--we must eat dinner together every night, same curfew on ship as at home, pre-set spending limit for on ship (using their own money I might add). Basically the same rules as at home with the exception of being able to roam the ship freely during the day, walkie talkies and check in times apply though. It's not that I'm super strict, it's just that even good kids are tempted to misbehave in the right situations so my feeling is --let's not tempt them!

Wow! When I read about kids wandering in at 5 or 6am I was stunned! My 15-year-old's curfew will be Midnight when we sail in June. I suppose if there's something special going on I might up it to 1am, but that's the absolute latest. I want him to have a great time, but I agree with Cindyrella: the same rules that apply at home will apply on the ship. And, should he break curfew, I'll go looking for him, and what could be more embarrassing than having Mommy Dearest drag you back to your cabin?:D

Laurie

Archived