disembarkment for Canadian's at different ports

When we disembarked in Miami USA customs was a breeze, off the ship through customs and we were on our way. I have read that in Tampa on the last cruise day we have to get up and dressed to be able to be processed by USA customs on board at 6:30 in morning on board not like what we did in Miami, then wait for 4 hours to disembark. Are there any other ports that Carnival has USA customs processing like Miami?

I have booked a cruise out of Tampa for this Oct. and if i can not change the cruise, i'm going to appear at 6:30 am with the head thingy with the green sparkley dingle balls on springs.... since I am an alien, i should look like that at the unforsaken hour on last day of holidays.

The requirement at some ports for the early immigration check is because of lack of personnel at that port. Immigration comes on board because they don't have 2 lines to go through when you get off the ship.

They do the same thing here in San Diego.

I have booked a cruise out of Tampa for this Oct. and if i can not change the cruise, i'm going to appear at 6:30 am with the head thingy with the green sparkley dingle balls on springs.... since I am an alien, i should look like that at the unforsaken hour on last day of holidays.

Go for it. Border security jus loves immature wiseasses.

We disembarked from a Vancouver to San Diego cruise and never came face to face with any US customs or immigration officials. The customs form was left in our cabin which we filled out and had at the ready we were never called to meet with anyone on the ship when we got off we collected our bags handed the customs form to a HAL rep and exited to the parking lot. My wife and I both looked at each other and commented on the lack of US customs presence.

When we disembarked in Miami USA customs was a breeze, off the ship through customs and we were on our way. I have read that in Tampa on the last cruise day we have to get up and dressed to be able to be processed by USA customs on board at 6:30 in morning on board not like what we did in Miami, then wait for 4 hours to disembark. Are there any other ports that Carnival has USA customs processing like Miami?

The only other port I can vouch for is Fort Lauderdale... we got off the ship the same as everyone else. Have sailed from Tampa as well... and customs there was certainly a pain in the butt.

This is interesting. I remember back in 2000 on the Sensation out of Tampa, we Canadians and I believe any non US citizens had to gather early in the theater to clear US customs, then again off a Celebrity cruise in Tampa in 2002, same thing was done. I dont remember doing that on my first cruise in 1999 ( Miami ), or any other time since those two Tampa cruises. I just thought that maybe procedures had changed, but I guess it is a Tampa thing. Disembarking in Miami and Fort Lauderdale was quite easy, and only difference was we had a separate line to go through once off the ship and inside the terminal, which is expected. Still this would not stop me from cruising out of Tampa.:)

On the seven day Glory Cruise to Atlantic Canada and New England, when we came into port in Portland Maine we had to meet customs early to get cleared. It becomes a real pain when even one foreigner doesnt go it as it holds up the rest of the ship from disembarking... as least it did in our case.

Yup, we cleared through Tampa on our last cruise - never again as it was such a pain the @ss unless it's a fantastic deal or awesome ports. We woke our American friends when we got through the line, and they had enough time to eat, get off the ship, shop for groceries and come back to the port before we were even off. Annoyed the poop out of me to see everyone else walk off while we were sitting there for hours.

I can't remember which other port was like that - maybe Galveston? We've disembarked from Port Canaveral, FLL, MIA, TPA and Galveston, so one other of those.

Go for it. Border security jus loves immature wiseasses.

It is all about having a sense of humor, you be our shoes at 6: 30 in morning, we have already gone through customs to enter the USA... already shown our passports about 5 times to Carnival before we board the ship, and it is a closed curcuit cruise.

When in Miami we filled out the form on board and just walked a seperate line, They did not look at form, they took form and said have great day. We left the ship with everyone else.... and be able to sleep just like everyone else

Sounds like an 'isolated' Tampa thing - but I definitely am not impressed. I truly do NOT want to get up early on disembarkation day to stumble around somewhere at the ungodly hour of 6:30 am to show someone my passport? Really now - I do need my beauty sleep! :D:D (and I am pretty cranky 1st thing in the morning!)

It is all about having a sense of humor, you be our shoes at 6: 30 in morning, we have already gone through customs to enter the USA... already shown our passports about 5 times to Carnival before we board the ship, and it is a closed curcuit cruise.

When in Miami we filled out the form on board and just walked a seperate line, They did not look at form, they took form and said have great day. We left the ship with everyone else.... and be able to sleep just like everyone else

Sounds like an 'isolated' Tampa thing - but I definitely am not impressed. I truly do NOT want to get up early on disembarkation day to stumble around somewhere at the ungodly hour of 6:30 am to show someone my passport? Really now - I do need my beauty sleep! :D:D (and I am pretty cranky 1st thing in the morning!)

I agree - not a nice thing to have to be up and sitting in a room somewhere at 6:30 am on the last day of vacation. I didn't know about this when I booked our cruise on the Legend. Now that I know, I will not sail from Tampa or any other port that uses that procedure the next time.

Archived