Passports

Vettech30

We were all set to get passports until it dawned on us that the only island that we are visiting outside the US is Bermuda. (April 28 cruise to Bermuda, st Thomas, st maarten,puerto rico). Would you waste your money on a passport?

Yes.

We were all set to get passports until it dawned on us that the only island that we are visiting outside the US is Bermuda. (April 28 cruise to Bermuda, st Thomas, st maarten,puerto rico). Would you waste your money on a passport?

For the cost, YES. Why play the Vegas game?

Yes because it is not a waste. And St. Maarten is not in the US. Plus, you never know if a Carnival-esque situation could go down and that ship is rerouted to a foreign port and you need to fly home from there.

Why not get your passport?

Yes because it is not a waste. And St. Maarten is not in the US. Plus, you never know if a Carnival-esque situation could go down and that ship is rerouted to a foreign port and you need to fly home from there.

Why not get your passport?

My dad always argues with me for the what if game and I have always wondered on this one. Would the US seriously refuse entry into the US for say 25% of the people on a cruise ship that don't get a passport? That can easily be 500 people. He thinks someone special would have to happen with customs or the US would be front page news with a disaster.

I, always get a passport. I figure if I break a leg and don't get back on that boat how will I get home or to the next port. A passport is pretty much the only universally accepted form of ID. That and with enough cruises, one each year, I figure it only adds $14 onto the cruise price.

It depends on how much "peace of mind" is worth to you. Technically you do not need a passport to take any closed-looped cruise (a cruise that begins and ends at the same US port). However, it is my understanding that if you for some reason miss your ship at one of your ports, you would have to acquire a passport before re-entering the US. This would entail going to the nearest US Embassy and enduring a lengthy application process. You would incur additional expense to expedite your application plus hotels, etc.

That being said, I am taking a cruise next month and two people in my party are traveling without passports. I'm not happy about it but some people are very stubborn when it comes to paying for a passport.

My dad always argues with me for the what if game and I have always wondered on this one. Would the US seriously refuse entry into the US for say 25% of the people on a cruise ship that don't get a passport? That can easily be 500 people. He thinks someone special would have to happen with customs or the US would be front page news with a disaster.

I, always get a passport. I figure if I break a leg and don't get back on that boat how will I get home or to the next port. A passport is pretty much the only universally accepted form of ID. That and with enough cruises, one each year, I figure it only adds $14 onto the cruise price.

It might be more of a hassle to get home, but I don't think they would not let you. Thats what the consolate is for. If I was going more aboard than Mexico or the Caribbean I would probably get the passport. and insurance.

I would not consider it wasting money to get a passport. Any time you travel out of the US you should have a passport (even if you may not NEED it). Both of my kids have had one since they were about 3 and even though we don't travel out of the US much, it gives me much more piece of mind knowing that where ever we go, we can get home.

Oh they wouldn't refuse entry...they would just require you to prove citizenship. Which can be awfully hard when you are in a foreign country. It certainly would not happen overnight. You could be stuck spending days (weeks!) there as opposed to those that flash their passport and are home.

in case of a medical emergency were time is a major factor, a passport could literaly save your life.......................

you probably don't buy trip insurance either..........., we booked a cruise after final payment on dec3, had to cancel dec 11, due to an inlury.

there are ways to save money, these two items are not one of them..........:eek:

What's the big deal about getting a passport? Is it because Americans don't like traveling out side of the border? Most Europeans and Asians I know have them.

And Canadians. ;) That is because there is no loophole around it for the rest of us... :rolleyes:

Other than the cost, why would anyone not want a passport?

The what ifs are just too numerous : as stated, illness, injury, but what if you run afoul of the authorities? What if you become a crime victim? My passport is a little like my security blanket, even though it may be wishful thinking, and I avoid those places where being a US citizen might not be such a good thing.

Archived