Hawaii Shore Excursions

mllewis48

Help Appreciated,

My wife and I have been long time crusiers with HAL and have planned a 14 day Hawaiian Cruise this fall on the Oosterdam. We are looking for Shore Excursion suggestions as we want to make this trip very memorable. Our ports are, Hilo, Honolulu, Nawiliwili Kauai, and Lahaina. I plan to do some research but would appreciate any help from anyone that has done this trip. We do know that we want to do the Arizona Pearl Harbor visit.

Thanks, and if you wish email at mlewis21@insight.rr.com.

Mike and Linda

Mike and Linda, we loved the Ocean Center on Maui along with the Tropical Plantation tour but when we go back we will probably just rent a car and go to the Ocean Center on our own so we have more time to spend and then spend the rest at the little shops that are close to the pier.

On Honolulu, we celebrated our 40th Anniversary at Paradise Cove luau and I booked Deluxe Seating directly with P.C. and we loved every minute and will do it again when we go back.

Nawiliwil, we took the shuttle that goes to the shops very close to the pier and looked thru them and then walked along the beach to the Marriott Resort and had a great afternoon with lunch and drinks and I put my feet in the surf just to say I did-didn't have my swimsuit on so just my feet.

In Hilo, we had a lousy tour with HAL that combines the Mauna Loa nut factory which was great with a little rundown Nani Mau(sp?) Garden. The tour bus arrived late and broke down at the Falls that was at the end of the tour.

Mike and Linda, we loved the Ocean Center on Maui along with the Tropical Plantation tour but when we go back we will probably just rent a car and go to the Ocean Center on our own so we have more time to spend and then spend the rest at the little shops that are close to the pier.

On Honolulu, we celebrated our 40th Anniversary at Paradise Cove luau and I booked Deluxe Seating directly with P.C. and we loved every minute and will do it again when we go back.

Nawiliwil, we took the shuttle that goes to the shops very close to the pier and looked thru them and then walked along the beach to the Marriott Resort and had a great afternoon with lunch and drinks and I put my feet in the surf just to say I did-didn't have my swimsuit on so just my feet.

In Hilo, we had a lousy tour with HAL that combines the Mauna Loa nut factory which was great with a little rundown Nani Mau(sp?) Garden. The tour bus arrived late and broke down at the Falls that was at the end of the tour.

I once took a great helicopter tour, think it was out of Lahaina. We went over and through the valleys, and over to Molokai. There was even a tape done on the flight (tape = long time ago). I highly recommend flight-seeing at least once, so long as heights don't bother you.

Lahaina is also a great little place to just walk around, absorb the atmosphere, shop (usually I hate shopping, but it's kind of fun here), check out the banyan tree.

If you want to go to Pearl Harbor, I suggest you get up and out very early, take a taxi, and be there before the crowds. That will leave you time for other things. The Bishop Museum is interesting.

HAL should have a tour out to the Polynesian Cultural Center. This is a long tour, but well-worth it. I would not recommend trying it on your own, as you risk not getting back in time.

Kauai offers The Grand Canyon of the Pacific. You need to get there before the fog rolls in, though. I also liked the tour out to the Blue Grotto. There is some walking here, from the boat up to the actual grotto.

Hope this helps.

In Hilo, we did a private tour with Rickystours.com. You can check this out on the Hawaii threads as many on CC have done his tour. We enjoyed the tour.

In Maui, we did the HAL tour to the Ocean Center and Iao Needle - very enjoyable.

In Nawiliwili, we did something similar to what Cruising Bob described.

In Honolulu, we took a city bus to Waikiki Beach, walked on the beach but since we'd been to there before we did not stay too long as it was very crowded. So we returned to the port, shopped at the Aloha Tower and had Mai Tais at one of the upstairs bars.

Oahu---definately the Arizona.

Kauai---great place to take a helicopter ride as it's the only way to see most of the island. Or rent a car and drive around---it's easy to navigate this island since the roads mostly hugging the ocean. But the "highway" doesn't go all the way around the island. It's about a 3-4 hour round trip to head north or about the same to head south and drive up the Waimea Canyon (that includes a few short stops each way). The canyon isn't always fogged in in the afternoon, just depends on the day.

Maui---the Aquarium is fantastic. Haleakula mountain is also a great site to see---even in the middle of the day.

The Big Island---from Hilo, a trip to Volcano National Park would be my choice. You may not see active lava, but the drive through the park is pretty impressive.

We've been twice. The first time we did the 'biggies"--Pearl Harbor, Volcanoes Nat'l Park, Maui Ocean Center, and Glass Bottom Boat. Both times we also went to Kona, but that has been eliminated now.

The second time we took the Little Circle Island tour, Tsunami museum, Ulalena Theater show in Lahaina, Fern Grotto tour, the Waterfalls--can't remember the others.

We took ships tours because DH didn't want to bother with renting cars, and driving, especially in Honolulu.

We enjoyed all of these too. I have some mobility issues, and these tours were very doable for me.

We love this itinerary, and are booked again for 2012.

Pat

One place that would be a great place for you to get many of your shore excursion answers would be in the Ports of Call section right here on CC. Every excursion under the sun that is in Hawaii will be discussed there. All activity levels and all interests. Great place for lots of info.

ENJOY your Hawaii cruise--we have done the R/T. from San Diego and we have also done the POA that is strictly Hawaii. Loved the islands. Guess that is why we make a yearly trip to Hawaii for a land vacation!!! (Except 2011, because my husband was hospitalized just two days before we were to leave--should be there now!)

Archived