Is it true?

On our first cruise we had an OV, and our second cruise we were upgraded to the Penthouse Suite (the upgrade fairy called, we had booked an interior on this cruise, and for a total of $300 were upgraded to the Penthouse Suite). It's funny, because with that balcony experience under our belts, we now tell ourselves when we first start planning the cruise that an interior cabin will be fine, but we have ended up booking a balcony!

In the long run, you don't really spend a huge amount of time in your room, however, I think we are now balcony snobs! Continental breakfast on the balcony every morning, and sitting out there in the afternoon reading and getting sun, made our last cruise absolutely amazing!

Firm believers that any trip is what you make of it.

Yes, I generally subscribe to this theory also but as claustrophobia issues are at stake, we must have a balcony. We sailed our first cruise in an inside and we will never go back - drove us crazy not knowing where we were, what the weather was like, etc. Have also sailed OV and enjoyed it, but lately balconies have been our cabin of choice. We need the "extra room", even though it is not inside space, per sé.

If I won a cruise but it was an inside, I couldn't accept it. Make of that what you will.

This is a highly personal issue and everyone is different, hence the different answers in this thread.

For us, a balcony is a must. Once we experienced sitting out on the balcony watching the ocean, the port activities once we returned from shore, etc., we'll pass up cruises if we can't get a balcony. We live in a Carnival home port but, until this last year, the ship didn't have balcony cabins, so we travel to other homeports where we can sail with a balcony.

Is it true that once you have a balcony you will never want to go back to a ocean view or inside cabin? DH and I have been on a small handful of cruises having completely enjoyed ocean view cabins, but now we have a very eventful cruise planned this Dec; I will have graduated from nursing school, turned 40 and it's Christmas after all. With all that being said we're upgrading! :D But will we be "disappointed" on future cruises should we book an ocean view again? Are we cursing ourselves? :o OF course we always have the philosophy that even a bad day at sea beats a good day at work. Firm believers that any trip is what you make of it.

Not true for me and sister. We've had every kind of cabin except the owners suite and we almost always book Inside Gty. It's nice when they upgrade us, but we are never disappointed when they don't.

Even when we've had a balcony cabin we rarely use it. I would always prefer to be out amongst people than holed up in my cabin.

Archived