Dress Code - Grand Palace - Bangkok

nonrev1

I have received conflicting information on the dress code for the Grand Palace. I know that you need to wear pants and women can wear skirts below the knee, but someone just old me they read that you had to wear long sleeves.

Can someone who has been there tell me if this is accurate? I am sweating just thinking about it! :)

Thanks!

Hi,

It's already ten years ago that I visited the Palace, but I remember that they were very strict. I had a long dress on, but with short sleeves (but shoulders and upper arms were covered) and I was OK. But a young lady in our group had on pants that didn't cover the whole of her legs (3/4) and she had to wear a sarong. She got very angry because her pants were as long as my dress, but they would't let her in without wearing the sarong. Hope this helps

Regards,

Sonja

I spend a considerable amount of time in Asia and the Middle East for business. What I find VERY comfortable in both climates is a long wrap around skirt and a long sleeved, fragile cotton blouse. Cool, comfortable and readily available in Bangkok. The cotton in the GOOD stores is Egyptian and very, very cool.

The REAL bonus-IF you run into a squat toilet, that long wrap skirt is soooo much easier to deal with than slacks. Dropping your trousers on the floor to squat is just nasty, nasty, nasty. Been there, done that, will never do it again. Just take the wrap skirt off or hoist it to your waist and you are good to go (literally) any place in the world. Take lots of wet wipes.

So a dress or shirt that is slightly above the knees will not be OK for certain? In terms of tops, would a sleeveless top be OK as long as you had a shawl to drape over your shoulders?

Teva- style strap sandals are OK? My heels would be exposed but would have a strap across them?

Thanks, Nina

So a dress or shirt that is slightly above the knees will not be OK for certain? In terms of tops, would a sleeveless top be OK as long as you had a shawl to drape over your shoulders?

The skirt or dress must cover your knees. A shawl should be okay as long as it is secure and doesn't slip on/off your shoulders. IMO, it's easier just to wear a cool, short-sleeved top.

Archived