Fascination with captains,cruise directors,and maitre"d

icyfrost

On the first couple of pages on the princess forums there are lots of members asking is that captain on this ship or when is that cruise director or maitre'd on vacation and so on, why is this important? do they really make your cruise? I do not get it. Most of the cruises i can't remember half the names or faces i just enjoy the cruise for what it is.

From reading here, people are fascinated with flat-screen televisions.

So, why not who the cruise director is?

It's been pointed out in another thread that the CD is responsible for the Patters. On a recent Sapphire cruise, the Patters were not available for delivery at night (for the next day) and that information that could have been included (and was on other cruises) was missing. This may not mean much to everyone, but some people plan their next day by the patters left in the evening.

Late delivery of the Patter is much more likely to be caused by problems in the print shop than by anything the CD has or has not done.

It's been pointed out in another thread that the CD is responsible for the Patters. On a recent Sapphire cruise, the Patters were not available for delivery at night (for the next day) and that information that could have been included (and was on other cruises) was missing.

Late delivery of the Patter is much more likely to be caused by problems in the print shop than by anything the CD has or has not done.

We were on the Sapphire Dec 22 and Dec 29th and the Patters arrived on time each and every night. I had them by 9 or 10 pm each night. Not one problem.

I tend to think caribill is right and that there may have had problems with the print shop.

On the first couple of pages on the princess forums there are lots of members asking is that captain on this ship or when is that cruise director or maitre'd on vacation and so on, why is this important? do they really make your cruise? I do not get it. Most of the cruises i can't remember half the names or faces i just enjoy the cruise for what it is.

You've received a lot of good reasons why some cruisers ask who will be on board their cruise. None I've seen base booking decisions on who'll hold those positions. People are simply, and justly, curious to know what kind of experience they might expect.

None, however, evinced attitudes of "fascination" or "importance". Maybe you used those terms just to wind people up?

I've noticed that the Captain can really dictate the attitude of the crew, but other than that, I could care less who the Maitre'd and Cruise Director are on my voyage.

I do my own thing anyway and rarely pay attention to the Cruise Director. :D

You've received a lot of good reasons why some cruisers ask who will be on board their cruise. None I've seen base booking decisions on who'll hold those positions. People are simply, and justly, curious to know what kind of experience they might expect.

None, however, evinced attitudes of "fascination" or "importance. Maybe you used those terms just to wind people up?

so what you are saying is that people will base what kind of experience they will have because of who is on the ship? I expect to have a wonderful cruise regardless and no i don't think that the reasons here are good as you say, my .02 cents. No there are no attitudes of importance on this discussion but over the years in reading you will notice that others indicate how disappointed they are that so and so is not on their ship.

icyfrost - I have never been disappointed with any Princess crew. Some were much better than others but I go for the cruise.

Having said that, I remember a Grand cruise where two young folks went overboard from the balcony. It was after mid-night and the Captain handled this experience so well. It finally did have a good outcome, he never gave up and both were rescued. It made for a long night but his handling and communication to all of us "confined" and "accounted for" was very special.:):)

Only one other person has become special to me - Genneroso Mazzone. Never cared before and probably won't again unless he is on MY ship:D

I did not think I cared either until taking a cruise on the Golden to Hawaii. Everyone onboard we interacted with were friendly, helpful and never snotty. The cruise director (david cole) called our room one morning near the end of the cruise and asked if we would like to meet with the captain personally, for some passenger feedback. We of course agreed and were met by the captain and hotel manager in the piazza for a half hour of really good questions about service and an overall opinion about the ship and crew. That kind of care and concern was felt ship wide. I agree with other posters stating that the captain controls the temperament on the ship.

Since I normally don't find out who any of the staff are onboard until princess sends out those emails before your cruise (which aren't always correct anyway), I honestly couldn't care less who the Captain, CD or Maitre'd are. If I kept track and didn't like the ones onboard, it would be too late to do anything about it anyway as the emails come after final payment date.

I can honestly say I have never in 40 cruises cared who the upper staff onboard was going to be. I know it does mean a lot to some passengers, we just don't happen to fit into that category. ;)

so what you are saying is that people will base what kind of experience they will have because of who is on the ship? I expect to have a wonderful cruise regardless and no i don't think that the reasons here are good as you say, my .02 cents. No there are no attitudes of importance on this discussion but over the years in reading you will notice that others indicate how disappointed they are that so and so is not on their ship.

If you remove the word "base" and replace it with "be informed", the answer is yes. To each his/her own.

Why do you care?

BTW - Interpret to your heart's content, but it's not good form to put words in another person's mouth. :rolleyes:

Since I normally don't find out who any of the staff are onboard until princess sends out those emails before your cruise (which aren't always correct anyway), I honestly couldn't care less who the Captain, CD or Maitre'd are. If I kept track and didn't like the ones onboard, it would be too late to do anything about it anyway as the emails come after final payment date.

I can honestly say I have never in 40 cruises cared who the upper staff onboard was going to be. I know it does mean a lot to some passengers, we just don't happen to fit into that category. ;)

me neither

Archived