Belize

ksjserv

We are long time cruisers. One of the ports on our next cruise is Belize City. Any suggestions on what to do other than snorkel or scuba. We are seniors and would just like to take in the sights and/or shopping, restaurants and try their local beer. Is it safe to go around by yourself or best to have a tour guide.

We are long time cruisers. One of the ports on our next cruise is Belize City. Any suggestions on what to do other than snorkel or scuba. We are seniors and would just like to take in the sights and/or shopping, restaurants and try their local beer. Is it safe to go around by yourself or best to have a tour guide.

stay on the ship.

I fourth that motion. Belize City is one of the few places I have traveled to that I didn't feel comfortable( outside the secured marina area). It just had a real strange "vibe". If you do venture out I would use a excursion booked through RCCL.

Check out the Ports of Call boards for Belize to see what other people have done. Most would recommend a tour, as the area is not really developed for tourists.

The tender ride is about 20 min. One time we took the tender and a torrential rainstorm developed out of nowhere. We arrived at the port area totally drenched (only some areas were covered).

The immediate area where the tender drops you off has a few shops (Diamonds Interntl is there, I think). Then there are 6ft high fences that keep the area separate from the town. You can walk into the town but there is not much to see and the vendors can be persistent.

What a shame that people post thing like others have. This a wonderful port if you take the time to really find out. You CAN go out the back gate and shop. Yes, they are aggressive but at least they are local artist not the faux crud in the port shops.

The land outside the city is really interesting. There is a LOT of Mayan culture in Belize. I have taken several wonderful tours there. Go ahead and take a tour with the cruise line or on shore. (Still prefer the cruise lines here) I recomend the Altun Ha and old river tour or Lamaini and new river tour. Go ahead and have a good time. You will make what you want out of this port. DO visit the Belize board for some more great ideas.

I agree with the posters that say stay on the ship. We (foolishly) took a cab to a "beach" to relax for the day. As we drove to the beach (long drive) we saw the condition of Belize City (looks like any other third world city, very run down), we saw people with machine guns on the side of the road and in other vehicles. The driver said they were police, but didn't look like it. The "beach" was actually a man made marina. Gas and oil streaks in the water. Bad day all around. The only positive we could take away from it was that the kids got to see how some people in the world live and really appreciated what they have here in the US.

You will be fine leaving the port area but just have an idea where you want to go before hand. Go check out one of those tourist books from the library. I don't know why everyone is so paranoid about leaving the "tourist trap" port area? Also, most ports have 6 foot fences or walls with guards around them. Just walk up to Port Everglades and try to get in without cruise documents...

You will be fine leaving the port area but just have an idea where you want to go before hand. Go check out one of those tourist books from the library. I don't know why everyone is so paranoid about leaving the "tourist trap" port area? Also, most ports have 6 foot fences or walls with guards around them. Just walk up to Port Everglades and try to get in without cruise documents...

I would recommend booking a tour in this port. It is really not a strollable type of port stop. Where are they going to go when they leave the port area? Please offer suggestions.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1055.html

if the OP is at all interested in Mayan ruins, I heartily recommend Lamanai. It is my favorite of the three sites I've visited. Yes, it's a full day, which is why I strongly recommend going with the ship's tour. But it's tremendously interesting.

As for Belize City itself, all I saw was the port area, and what was visible from the bus heading up the Northern Highway. What I saw definitely looked Third World. But I only saw a sliver of the city, so I really can't say if there is anything there worth seeing.

When the tour bus dropped us off at the port after the tour, I was set upon by several vendors during the six-foot walk from the bus to the gate. But "no thank you" did the trick for each one. Within the gates of the port area, I felt no pressure, and was comfortable. So, if the OP has a hankering to step ashore, just to say they've been there, they might just want to tender over, browse the port shops, and tender back to the ship.

Wow, I am surprised so many people have said stay on the ship. i will be in Belize on the 24 of Feb and think I am going to to a city tour from a local cabbie, if no one hears from me by mid March send HELP.....lol

Wow, I am surprised so many people have said stay on the ship. i will be in Belize on the 24 of Feb and think I am going to to a city tour from a local cabbie, if no one hears from me by mid March send HELP.....lol

We are "old salts-in our 60's. We booked the tram ride of the area thru RCCL and enjoyed it very much, HOWEVER! after the ride, we hightailed it back to the tender to the ship! The tram guide cautions you to stay in the dock area, don't ventureoff by yourself. The tender is a pain and if we ever go back to Belize we will have a wonderful day enjoying our ship! My advice is only my own opinion. Enjoy your day whatever you may decide!

I think it is the way the OP phrased the question. They don't want to scuba or snorkel; that is probably the main attraction in Belize. We met some frequent cruisers onboard once and they picked the itinerary specifically because they wanted to scuba dive at the barrier reef.

The OPs are seniors who want to know if "...it is safe to go around by yourself". I think they got appropriate answers: book a tour, or stay on the ship. Blunt, but appropriate advice for this port. If you look for 'things to do' in Belize City, not much comes up. It is a beautiful place but you have to get beyond the gates. Way beyond.

If and when they actually finish the pier there that's been under construcion for the last few years, then people will feel better about not tendering, even though you will be outside of town with nothing to see except a fenced off port area LOL. If all a person wants is a port where there are bars, restaurants and vendors claiming they handcrafted their made in China souvenirs all within the shadow the ship, then maybe Belize isn't the port for them. Most ports, you do have to venture out a bit though, so not sure why Belize gets more of a bad rap than any other place.

We like Belize. Yes, it is "third world" but it is trying to be better. Remember it is a fairly new country and has had problems with hurricanes and the lack in the last few years. We have done excursions from the ship and have enjoyed them. Our first was the Lamanai ruins (IMO my favorite excursion ever) and last week did the Wildlife Adventure to the zoo and ride down one of the rivers. Very enjoyable and informative. I know reports are scary, but change the name Belize with NYC, Houston, LA, or any large city and they sound the same to me. Go with an open mind, knowing that it is not America. I think it is safer and nicer than Jamica.

We hired a private tour (not from the ship) when we went to Belize... we used one of the cave tubing companies we found both here and on TripAdvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g291968-d645066-Reviews-Cave_Tubing_with_Vitalino_Reyes-Belize_City_Belize_District.html

It was great! My youngest was 5 years old when we went, and they keep the tube groups small and safe.

I'll even dig up pictures...

11434_1246172483589_1507726387_30674450_5809569_n.jpg

11434_1246172803597_1507726387_30674458_2665038_n.jpg

11434_1246173003602_1507726387_30674463_4437543_n.jpg

The tour was very enjoyable.

Belize City itself? Meh.

Belize is known as a ecotourist's wonderland. Pristine rainforests and hiking and stuff.. with some of the best snorkeling and scuba in the world... it's not known for it's wonderful cities, though...

I would recommend booking a tour in this port. It is really not a strollable type of port stop. Where are they going to go when they leave the port area? Please offer suggestions.

It is strollable. There is a whole town outside the port area with real stores, restaurants, ect. Not the "made for tourist" stuff. Most of the locals are very friendly. Just use common sense like anywhere else..

Also, I wouldn't really trust the US governments warnings..

We hired a private tour (not from the ship) when we went to Belize... we used one of the cave tubing companies we found both here and on TripAdvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g291968-d645066-Reviews-Cave_Tubing_with_Vitalino_Reyes-Belize_City_Belize_District.html

It was great! My youngest was 5 years old when we went, and they keep the tube groups small and safe.

I'll even dig up pictures...

11434_1246172483589_1507726387_30674450_5809569_n.jpg

11434_1246172803597_1507726387_30674458_2665038_n.jpg

11434_1246173003602_1507726387_30674463_4437543_n.jpg

The tour was very enjoyable.

Belize City itself? Meh.

Belize is known as a ecotourist's wonderland. Pristine rainforests and hiking and stuff.. with some of the best snorkeling and scuba in the world... it's not known for it's wonderful cities, though...

Your kids are adorable . . . and the cave tubing looks awesome! I'll have to remember that, if I ever find myself on a ship stopping at Belize again.

To tie this back in with the OP's question, do you think this excursion would be suitable for senior citizens?

Your kids are adorable . . . and the cave tubing looks awesome! I'll have to remember that, if I ever find myself on a ship stopping at Belize again.

To tie this back in with the OP's question, do you think this excursion would be suitable for senior citizens?

Well... on that particular cruise... I had my mother and mother-in-law... Both are in their early to mid 60s... but they are "active" 60s.

27704_1412764648289_1507726387_31053445_8043231_n.jpg

It is strollable. There is a whole town outside the port area with real stores, restaurants, ect. Not the "made for tourist" stuff. Most of the locals are very friendly. Just use common sense like anywhere else..

Also, I wouldn't really trust the US governments warnings..

the US governments warnings are for your protection.:rolleyes:

We went on the Mayan pyramid tours and they were great. You could do a personalized taxi tour (arranged ahead of time) if that was what suited you. We also just hung around the 'port' area and ate some and drank a few to relax. Good shopping & bargining inside the 'compound'. Go just outside the fence and talk with the local vendors there. I felt very safe there. We brought back some nice carved dolphins and next trip I'll try and find some more matching ones. Use your head and don't stray too far and you should be fine. Nice port, but the options are limited.

I visited Belize just last week and had made arrangements to do an excursion. Something recommended by many online. My son got up late and with the tendering time, we just got into port too late. We missed the trip and walked around the port. My son wanted to venture out on our own excursion which we do in every port, and I told him no ,because of the things I had read. I didn't feel "safe" in Belize and refused to go. That night at dinner our tablemate was telling us that on his excursion they had to wait while they took the DEAD BODY out of the road (someone had been shot) and throw it onto a truck!!!! Some things are best to be missed!!

do an excursion thru your trip...Altun Ha is a GOOD ruin site easy to get around...DEFINITELY worth seeing...do a ship-sponsored excursion...dont stay on the ship.

last month with a fren of mine (husbands were cave-tubin with independent tour) we went to Lamani with the ship that was quite the trip...NEVER felt unsafe at all....my only worry was that the guys would make it back to the ship in time!--ALL WAS GOOD!!!

Archived