Best Non-Drowsy Seasick Med?

Tennessee_Holly

What's the best NON-DROWSY, hardly any side effect medication to prevent seasickness?

The reason I ask: I went on a cruise last year and had a patch (scopomaline patch) that I used behind my ear. I didn't get seasick but I was so woozy, drowsy and a bit dizzy that it was hard to keep on the go and I just felt awful (even though I made myself have a great time and keep on the go - was just so tired). Not sure if it's related but, sitting in the sun even for a little bit made me feel nauseated, I had a very dry mouth and I broke out into a rash - like I said, not sure if it's related but I've never had that happen before.

I don't want to feel like a Zombie again! :eek:

What do you recommend? I've read a little on ginger pills, but want something stronger to take just in case.

Bonine and non-drowsy Dramamine are the same drug (Meclizine).

Most NCL ships have these available at the reception desk, but best in my opinion to take one Bonine in the morning before boarding and daily at least for a couple of days onboard. If they don't give you side effects, I would just keep taking them, even the last day.

Ginger is effective for mild motion sickness, but we use Bonine. It is once a day and no side effects that we noticed. Others in our group turned green on rough sea days, but we were great.:)

Were the others in your group taking Bonine as well?

Bonine and non-drowsy Dramamine are the same drug (Meclizine).

Most NCL ships have these available at the reception desk, but best in my opinion to take one Bonine in the morning before boarding and daily at least for a couple of days onboard. If they don't give you side effects, I would just keep taking them, even the last day.

Good to know! Some drugs are just too strong for me and make me feel worse so I wasn't sure about Bonine.

What's the best NON-DROWSY, hardly any side effect medication to prevent seasickness?

The reason I ask: I went on a cruise last year and had a patch (scopomaline patch) that I used behind my ear. I didn't get seasick but I was so woozy, drowsy and a bit dizzy that it was hard to keep on the go and I just felt awful (even though I made myself have a great time and keep on the go - was just so tired). Not sure if it's related but, sitting in the sun even for a little bit made me feel nauseated, I had a very dry mouth and I broke out into a rash - like I said, not sure if it's related but I've never had that happen before.

I don't want to feel like a Zombie again! :eek:

What do you recommend? I've read a little on ginger pills, but want something stronger to take just in case.

This is exactly what happened to one person in our group on our last cruise, using the patch. I felt so bad for him. I think he would have been much better sticking to over the counter meds. It has turned him off cruising.. sadly.

Bonine, Less Drowsy Dramamine, and Meclizine have the same active ingredient, but if you are very sensitive to the stuff, you can buy Rugby brand Meclizine in 12.5 mg's. The other brands are 25 mg's.

With or without the medication, you may experience some wooziness after you are back home, and the Meclizine helps with that.

Edited by swedish weave

I've cruised enough that Ginger caps are good for me, but I have used Bonine in the past, no drowsy and I could still drink with it (moderately of course)

We have some pretty big swells going into Bermuda years ago... like 20 ft and we were on a Tiny ship w/ old propulsion (sp?) (The original Pacific Princess for Love Boat tv show that Princess sold later that year... back in like 2001 or 2002) lots of people sick, some even flew home after arriving, we were just fine (Hurricane Kyle around the area)

I think Bonine is a miracle drug! It saved me on the the last cruise (which was my first cruise). I was beyond sick one day and it worked extremely well - yes, I do experience some drowsiness with it the first few days, but that seems to wear off. It is a must-have on any cruise I take (and I have one coming up!!)

prescribed by doctor

transderm

I place on bum because behind the ear messes with my lymph nodes (at least my head thinks that it does)

But the OP said that is what they used, described all the symptoms and asked for something else.

I am very suseptible to seasickness... have tried everything you can think of.. some work some dont... but the ones that worked tended to cause me drowsiness... I watched an old Myth Busters show on dizzyness and seasickness... they came to the conclusion that Ginger tablets were the best... I have started using those for the last 6 or so cruises and have had NO seasickness and no side effects... I am hooked on Ginger... you can pick them up at most discount pharmacies... I start taking two a day for about a week before the cruise..and then all through the cruise... have had no problems

good luck

Is there any reason that you could not use both the Ginger tablets as well as the bonine or the scopolamine patch. I get sea sick backing out of the drive or even using a float in the ocean. I don't want to be miserable.

I take a bonine at night and ginger tablets in the morning starting the day before the cruise. I also have sea bands if the waves are over 30 feet. I've never had the patch (too many side effects) but I'd ask the Doctor before combining it with anything else.

Edited by peg013

Non-Drowsy Dramamine and Bonine work great (I can't recall a preference) I was given the patch by a nurse I had met on a ship when I was very sick once- no side effects and it worked. However on my next trip I was prescribed the patch by my doctor and I experienced blurry vision, so I wouldn't reccomend it anymore. Especially after reading how so many other had side effects too.

I am very suseptible to seasickness... have tried everything you can think of.. some work some dont... but the ones that worked tended to cause me drowsiness... I watched an old Myth Busters show on dizzyness and seasickness... they came to the conclusion that Ginger tablets were the best... I have started using those for the last 6 or so cruises and have had NO seasickness and no side effects... I am hooked on Ginger... you can pick them up at most discount pharmacies... I start taking two a day for about a week before the cruise..and then all through the cruise... have had no problems

good luck

Very interesting! I'm going to try this on my upcoming trip. Especially for my DH to be since he gets motion sickness sometimes and its his first cruise.