What would you consider a "must" on a HAL ship?

4cats1house

On the Maasdam last week, we heard the alarm for the muster drill and grabbed our life vests and headed out to our lifeboat station...imagine our surprise when we got there and were the only ones carrying our life vests. This was the first time in 27 cruises that we weren't required to take our vest with us....guess I'll have to pay attention to the directions next cruise.

this happened to me on the Veendam in August...halfway down the stairs and they told me to go put it back in my room lol

Mama didn't raise no fool;)

LOL. Thanks for the chuckle, Zookiebird. As for the vests, we found that out on our last cruise, on the Veendam....of course, we read it in the instructions. Quite a few people did not though. Getting closer folks. :)

Steamed: Thanks for your note. Wasn't aware of the Actief but am now really impressed by what looks like a terrific trip. Hope you have fair weather to fully enjoy the beautiful English countryside. You've given us another thing to add to our bucket list.:)

5088324225_e7f458cf08.jpg

Wang Wang ( often spelled Weng Weng )

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Top it off with Pineapple and Orange Juice

Add a splash of Grenadine and let the games begin!

looks so good!! should be called "hit the floor!"

Steamed: Thanks for your note. Wasn't aware of the Actief but am now really impressed by what looks like a terrific trip. Hope you have fair weather to fully enjoy the beautiful English countryside. You've given us another thing to add to our bucket list.:)

Oh, hey Zookiebird, the Actief is a mistake I made when I tried to put the Zaandam in here. I am not going to be on that ship in those ports. I don't know how to correct it, do you? Sorry for the mishap. :cool:

Amen to that! Some of the most enjoyable time is late at night or early in the morning, alone, in the Crow's Nest or at the stern on the Lido Deck.

Or standing by the rail at night and watching the moonlight hit the water. Just beautiful!!!

If it is an Alaska cruise, must have the Split Pea Soup on deck while in Glacier Bay. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D :D

I love pea soup, Tamaracboy. Have you ever had ANDERSON'S pea soup, in Bueltin California? Mmmmmmm, good. :p

All excellent suggestions, especially the candied ginger.

At the risk of being shot at, I say you must have some rough weather. To stand on the top deck and feel the sea spray whip into your face, to see the ocean around you covered in whitecaps, to feel the ship rolling and pitching in a full gale, shudder and lurch as she digs her bow into a wall of green water. Ah, makes you glad to be alive.

Then go back inside and curl up with a book in Explorations as the sea water beats against the windows.:cool: Just do not get enough of that and perhaps just as well.

All excellent suggestions, especially the candied ginger.

At the risk of being shot at, I say you must have some rough weather. To stand on the top deck and feel the sea spray whip into your face, to see the ocean around you covered in whitecaps, to feel the ship rolling and pitching in a full gale, shudder and lurch as she digs her bow into a wall of green water. Ah, makes you glad to be alive.

Then go back inside and curl up with a book in Explorations as the sea water beats against the windows.:cool: Just do not get enough of that and perhaps just as well.

Hmmmmmm :(

Who is the yum yum man:confused:

I wondered that too. Who knows? Please fill us in. It's making me hungry just thinking about it. YUM YUM :D

As you leave the dining room after dinner, you will see a cart with loads of little goodies on it. Such things as after dinner mints, candied ginger, dates, etc. The man who serves these little treats is The Yum Yum Man. The little treats are Yum Yums.

As you leave the dining room after dinner, you will see a cart with loads of little goodies on it. Such things as after dinner mints, candied ginger, dates, etc. The man who serves these little treats is The Yum Yum Man. The little treats are Yum Yums.

On our first Holland America cruise 9/23-30/2001--Maasdam--The Yum Yum guy was absolutely delightful--he also announced "Deener Time" with a little chime as he walked around the ship. My mom (now deceased) enjoyed his great smile and wonderful personality so much--whenever I think of the Yum Yum guy, that is the one I remember.

Archived