What would you consider a "must" on a HAL ship?

4cats1house

Must eat escargots, baked brie, and when available in the Lido, the Thai Basil Chicken.

Must stand on deck with a cup of coffee early in the morning, overlooking the wake, and give thanks for being so blessed.

Must savor the look of the cabin when we return from dinner, with the bed turned down and the lights "just so" :)

Must accept that at today's low prices for cruises (generally speaking) I can't expect the food in the MDR to be as it was in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

Must get one of those little croissant-textured cinnamon/raisin Danish-type things every morning they are available in the Lido, and some of the wonderful sweet butter, and give thanks again.

Must seek out cinnamon ice cream in the Lido (flavours change every day)

Must drink a cup of complimentary cappuccino in the main dining room (breakfast lunch or dinner).

Must try a chocolate breakfast croisaant (then "work it off" in the gym!)

Must try a cold fruit soup at least one night as an appetizer.

Must try daily team trivia (check daily schedule) which always draws a fun crowd.

do the full ships tour if offered [ its not just galley/bridge ] and le cirque......they are trying to have cabins ready circa 1130 which requires a better disenbarkation [ worked fairly well noordam past dec, but may be a work in progress on some ships ]

Take the time late one clear night to find a quiet dark spot (on top of the Crow's Nest always worked for me) and spend some time gazing at the heavens. I am not a particularly religious man, but that is as close to the Almighty as I can get in this life.

Must do the iPod art tour of your HAL ship. You can download it at home onto your iPod from HAL's website or borrow an iPod with the art tour already downloaded from the librarian at Explorations Cafe.

Must unpack as soon as luggage arrives and send clothing out for pressing.

Must dress for dinner.

Must meet friends for pre-dinner cocktails at 7pm in the Ocean Bar.

Must take frequent bubble baths in the jacuzzi tub.

Must have Continental Breakfast delivered as a wakeup call.

Must have GF pancakes for breakfast in the MDR

Must do Karaoke in the Crow's Nest.

Must stay up late chatting and drinking in the Crow's Nest.

Must take a late-night walk around the ship and enjoy the artwork with nobody around.

Must get a haircut & color in the spa.

Must have a Banana Daiquiri with a shot of Bailey's.

Must take catnaps on the verandah.

Must take the stairs.

Must remember cabin steward's, bartender's and wait-staff's names - and use them frequently.

Must not think about work.

Must attend all parties.

Must avoid the showlounge & movie theatre.

Must throw an impromptu sailaway/cocktail party.

Must have dinner in Pinnacle on MCD night.

Must order the Lamb.

Must have clothing laundered at end of cruise so that I can bring clean clothes home.

Must spend too much money.

Must pack during the afternoon of the last day so I can enjoy the last evening w/ my friends.

Must avoid the gangway on disembarcation day.

Must not cry on the way home.

:)

OP from Saskatchewan, not sure where in the province you are from but my mother lives in Northern SK and she woke up to -42 degrees celcius (with the wind) this morning so I think a "must have" would be nice and hot weather for you!

I must have a great time and enjoy my suite.

I must enoy the coffe machine in the Neptune Lounge and Noro not on board, I must use the thermal spal this time.

I must get to more things and I must win at bingo :p

Where do I sign up for these low prices? Mine are still sky high.

I think that's because generally you get to do the more exotic, longer itineraries than we do :) My first HAL cruise was 7 days to Alaska in 1994, and to save money I went with the "inside share" -- where HAL would assign me a female roommate who also wanted to share an interior cabin to save money. It was around $1900 for 7 days IIRC. I lucked out, didn't get a roommate, AND got moved to an OV cabin. BUT it could have been an inside, sharing with a stranger :eek: Wouldn't do that now.

The last couple of years I've paid the single supplement, and still paid less for a 7 day Alaska cruise than I did in 1994. But the single supplement most certainly affects the total cost.

I think that's because generally you get to do the more exotic, longer itineraries than we do :) My first HAL cruise was 7 days to Alaska in 1994, and to save money I went with the "inside share" -- where HAL would assign me a female roommate who also wanted to share an interior cabin to save money. It was around $1900 for 7 days IIRC. I lucked out, didn't get a roommate, AND got moved to an OV cabin. BUT it could have been an inside, sharing with a stranger :eek: Wouldn't do that now.

The last couple of years I've paid the single supplement, and still paid less for a 7 day Alaska cruise than I did in 1994. But the single supplement most certainly affects the total cost.

That is outragous for a 7 day cruise. I'd like to get a smokin' deal like we hear about all the time. I mentioned to a friend that I didn't want to take a 12 day Celebrity cruise to the Caribbean because it was too expensive. She said "yeah, it would probalby be $2500 for you". I said I'd jump on that price...it's was $3600 for a low outside cabin. Good luck to them selling at that price.

Archived