What did you bring that you totally DID NOT NEED?

On my first 20 cruises, I took duct tape. Never needed it, but brought it along just in case because my luggage was relatively cheap and old. Then I bought a brand new, mildly expensive samsonite luggage set. So, I didn't pack the duct tape. As fate would have it, on the very first cruise with my new luggage, my large case ripped apart at the seams due to a defect. Lucky for me, the pursers desk had a large roll of duct tape on hand. As it turned out, I still didn't need to pack duct tape after all, since some was available on the ship. Still, I can't help but think that my luggage ripped because I didn't pack the tape. Bad karma.

I always pack way too much clothes- especially because I wind up wearing a bathing suit and cover up almost all day, haha.

I pack 2 bags full of clothes.. for 5 days..

This next cruise I'm really downsizing.. 5 tops.. 5 bottoms.. a formal dress. And a bathingsuit and cover up.. Thats it!.. (and of course braws, undies, and jammies)

I always pack a miniature drugstore. Never can tell when we might need something. So for, FORTUNATELY, we've never had to use most of them. But, I'm still going to pack them,
Same here. Much better to take them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

We didn't need our powerstrip. Didn't need a blow dryer as one is supplied with each room.

Did use our clothes pegs for drying clothes on our balcony. Clipped items to the chairs so they would'nt blow away and they dry better outside.

Should have packed more casual clothes (cotton t-shirts, tops, shorts, capris) and not so many dressier type of clothes or shoes. Used: 1 pair of good quality comfortable sandals for all onshore excursions and ship, good quality flip flops for on ship, one pair of dressy shoes if you participate in formal nights, and shoes/boots for travelling especially in winter weather. I wouldn't recommend buying new shoes that you haven't worn yet. Or wear them before you go on your trip to make sure they are comfortable. Wore a pair of beach shoes for the beach which worked well in sand or water.

Bring your medications, and any other useful pharmaceutical items such as gravol, advil and creams for sore muscles, and sun burn, as the supply on board is basically nil.

I'm shocked , no pun intended, at the people that don't use a power strip. But I guess we bring a clock , and a travel fan. So there is 2 plugs.

I was waiting for my wife or husband remark but the MIL was priceless:p

On my first 20 cruises, I took duct tape. Never needed it, but brought it along just in case because my luggage was relatively cheap and old. Then I bought a brand new, mildly expensive samsonite luggage set. So, I didn't pack the duct tape. As fate would have it, on the very first cruise with my new luggage, my large case ripped apart at the seams due to a defect. Lucky for me, the pursers desk had a large roll of duct tape on hand. As it turned out, I still didn't need to pack duct tape after all, since some was available on the ship. Still, I can't help but think that my luggage ripped because I didn't pack the tape. Bad karma.

Exactly! Always take duct tape and never needed, but I'm scared to NOT take it! Therefore it is always in my suitcase.

Other items: wrinkle spray (who cares we're on vacation), febreze (okay I pack everything BUT the kitchen sink), too many clothes, too many shoes, plus I pack the large bottles of everything so I don't run out!!!

Okay, I'll ask.

What in the heck do you need a highlighter for?

Highlighting in the daily newsletter things you want to do. When we first started cruising, DH highlighted what he wanted to do in blue and I highlighted in green. We don't really do that anymore, we just wander around the ship and if there's something that catches our fancy we just stop and participate or watch! Still bring the highlighters though even though we don't use them anymore... sigh...:o

Okay, I'll ask.

What in the heck do you need a highlighter for?

It can be handy to highlight the activities of interest on the daily schedule or anything of interest in brochures, but not necessary because you can circle or mark them with a pencil or pen just as easily.

The place I find a highlighter handy is to highlight the route I want to take on a road map when renting a car in an unfamiliar place, but even then it is usually not necessary to bring your own because they often have one right there at the car rental place and will highlight the route for you.

I'm shocked , no pun intended, at the people that don't use a power strip. But I guess we bring a clock , and a travel fan. So there is 2 plugs.

We have never found any need for a power strip. We don't bring a clock or a fan or any other appliances that would need to stay plugged in all or most of the time. We use our phones for a clock/alarm clock, along with a laptop that is used very little, and ipods. None of these needs to stay plugged in all the time so we just rotate them around so that one is always charging. If we're not in the cabin (pool, dinner, whatever) we can leave two charging if necessary.

When we get ready for dinner I unplug any of the electronics so I can use the hair dryer and sometimes a curling iron.

Highlighting in the daily newsletter things you want to do. When we first started cruising, DH highlighted what he wanted to do in blue and I highlighted in green. We don't really do that anymore, we just wander around the ship and if there's something that catches our fancy we just stop and participate or watch! Still bring the highlighters though even though we don't use them anymore... sigh...:o

It can be handy to highlight the activities of interest on the daily schedule or anything of interest in brochures, but not necessary because you can circle or mark them with a pencil or pen just as easily.

The place I find a highlighter handy is to highlight the route I want to take on a road map when renting a car in an unfamiliar place, but even then it is usually not necessary to bring your own because they often have one right there at the car rental place and will highlight the route for you.

Gotcha! My eyes are getting so bad, this might come in handy for me!

I buy a new bathing suit, "little black dress", dressy flipflops (if there is such a thing:o, and a few new tops. Also, do the Crest home teeth-whitening, get a manicure and pedicure, and a fresh haircut/color. No wonder I come back from a cruise and my co-workers think I look SO refreshed!! It's probably all the preparation I did for the cruise, hahaha.

Great suggestions re: pampering before departure! Will try to make time for these, and hope to look great in the family pix :)

Archived