Formal wear...long or short? What's the majority?

momof4girls

We were denied entrance to the main dining room!! Can you believe that??

LOL!!

Jan

2pqvnkm.jpg

It's because there were no sequins. If you had sequins on them, they would have been elegant.

The Freedom was actually dressier than I expected but lots of VERY VERY short dresses (how do these girls walk on stairs? Actually the answer is- you see their undies...) but there were definetly people in full length (but slender, not puffy ball) gowns. A few brides in wedding dresses (one wore hers both nights. Get to use that dress 3 times!) Many woman in black slacks with sparkly tops on- like I said sequins appear to equal elegant.

On our recent Legend cruise, ladies wore everything from formal gowns down to nice sundresses and everything in between. As far as the men, we saw them dressed in a Tux, Military uniform, suit and tie, dress pants, shirt and tie and some just in nice pants and shirt.

Thanks for including the men in this one. I have always seen dress attire for the women but nothing really for the men.

Thanks girls! I bought it for my rehearsal dinner and have only worn it once since then. I'm really looking for a good excuse to break it out!

On regular nights, if I wear nice sundresses will I feel over dpressed??

P.S. sorry for being a thread stealer :(

I've worn both long formals and cocktail dresses. Cocktail dresses are easier to pack and take up less room. I also have a black tea length chiffon skirt and beaded top(s) to wear. For dinner in the MDR, I wear a sun-dress or casual dress (It makes me feel good), and I've never felt out of place or over-dressed.

i wear sundresses/cocktail dresses every night and never feel out of place ( i also keep them on all night ) i get good use out of the dresses..i always buy so many because they are too cute then never have a place to wear them! so if you like the look or its comfortable go for it everynight!

I have 2 formal dresses I plan on bringing on this cruise, as well as 2 cocktail dresses. I can't wait to wear them either. One is my sisters Prom dress (love the back) and the other is my sisters bridesmaid dress she wore for my wedding.:D Both are long formal gown/dresses.

My last long cruise I wore one long formal dress and the next formal I wore a cocktail dress, seen here.

resized.jpg.2adc1509c4fb4a8b7da62ad84bf4a644.jpg

583860052_resizedreddress.jpg.e65641b8eca1c94bd5204f3284ff3ef7.jpg

Since I'm notorious for waiting until the last minute:o, I plan on buying my dress this weekend for our "formal night" dinner. I know that some cruise ships are much more formal than others, but I still was curious...

What do the majority of the women wear? Are they in longer gown-style dresses or shorter cocktail-style dresses? I'm so torn between the two.

How does your man like you to be gussied up? That's all that matters!

We have two formal nights on our December cruise, and for one of them, my whole family will be going all out - Tuxedos on my husband and sons (24 and 19), full length evening gowns for my daughter (22) and myself - we're celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and my 50th birthday on this cruise, so we're going to go all out! Get a family portrait done, drink champagne, and maybe even take a full family formal attire dive into the pool to cap off the evening! I wonder if I can arrange a ships photographer to capture that?

KC

We have two formal nights on our December cruise, and for one of them, my whole family will be going all out - Tuxedos on my husband and sons (24 and 19), full length evening gowns for my daughter (22) and myself - we're celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and my 50th birthday on this cruise, so we're going to go all out! Get a family portrait done, drink champagne, and maybe even take a full family formal attire dive into the pool to cap off the evening! I wonder if I can arrange a ships photographer to capture that?

KC

Ahhh - I'm a photographer and I would die to take that shot. Maybe I need to book another cruise...hehe.

KC

I'm sure you could, but also any passing person I'm sure would be glad to take a picture for you with your camera. Unless you're wanting it done with a DSLR or something. If my husband and I were on your cruise, I'd offer to do this for ya with our DSLR and email or mail it to you. When are you goin?

I'm sure you could, but also any passing person I'm sure would be glad to take a picture for you with your camera. Unless you're wanting it done with a DSLR or something. If my husband and I were on your cruise, I'd offer to do this for ya with our DSLR and email or mail it to you. When are you goin?

December 11, on the Conquest - I think that would be a great shot, and so in keeping with our admittedly madcap family! Now the only question is, what would the cruise rental tuxedo store think of water logged tuxes . . . <g>?!

KC

KC

I would soooooo take this photo for you!!!! FYI the ships photographers DO take appointments. Just have to find the right one.

Heck I'd like to try it myself!

Have a blast on your cruise, it sounds like you will!

Jan

NOT:rolleyes:! I dress for what I want to wear...and DH and DS(16) wear what I pack for them on elegant nights.;) I normally wear a black cocktail style dress. DD(14) wears colorful shorter Prom style dresses (and you can't see her undies because Dad makes her wear her dance shorts under them.:D)

NOT:rolleyes:! I dress for what I want to wear...and DH and DS(16) wear what I pack for them on elegant nights.;) I normally wear a black cocktail style dress. DD(14) wears colorful shorter Prom style dresses (and you can't see her undies because Dad makes her wear her dance shorts under them.:D)

Luckily, I didn't marry a woman that was the center of HER universe.

(and you can't see her undies because Dad makes her wear her dance shorts under them.:D)

That is smart!

These girls all looked great dressed up standing outside the dining room, but we got flashed a lot as they went up and down stairs outside of the dining room!

It's usually not worse than a bathing suit, but in some cases we saw a lot of cheek!

Thats funny Jan, I can't believe they denied you access!

On our last cruise there was a HUGE man, and I mean very LARGE!! and he showed up in shorts on formal night. They tried to remove him, but he would have nothing to do with it. It got kind of ugly and they finally let him stay. It was kind of funny seeing those poor little waiters trying to 'convince' this big man to leave..

LOL!! On this cruise he'd probably prefer sweatpants and a tee as he is staying home with our four girls ;) Normally though, he just likes high heels and the clothing is optional. :rolleyes::p;)

Luckily, I didn't marry a woman that was the center of HER universe.

LOL...Luckily, I married a man who likes how I dress and doesn't try to change me into someone I am not. He also prefers that I purchase and pack his clothes as he likes what I choose for him.

LOL...Luckily, I married a man who likes how I dress and doesn't try to change me into someone I am not. He also prefers that I purchase and pack his clothes as he likes what I choose for him.

Lordy! I'd be in handcuffs and a speedo, chained to the radiator.

Archived