Glouster/Boston

pizzadog

Posted this question to our roll call, then figured out it would be better placed here. We are on the Eurodam in October, Canada/New England. I notice that we are only in Glouster from 7 a.m. 'til 3 p.m. which doesn't seem to leave a lot of time to see Boston. Has anyone done this trip? We would like to do the Freedom Trail walking tour but don't know how much time we have. How long does it take to get from Glouster to Boston? Does the ship provide a bus and is this actually a tour that one pays from. Why Glouster?

Hello,

I can help a little in that I know you can take the T which is a subway right into Boston

from the Gloucester station. Not sure how long it might take, probably 30- 45 minutes.

We love Gloucester, in fact we try to vacation there every summer. There is a beautiful beach called Good Harbor Beach but will be too cold for that. Also many great seafood restaurants within walking distance. Enjoy your day there!

I would strongly suggest a ship's tour or hire a driver in advance.

By the time you are permitted off the ship (not sure if it will be tender or dock), arrange to get public transportation and get to Boston, you will not have much time left to actually walk the Freedom Trail before you will have to think about heading back.

I would estimate it is about 40+ miles distance.

If the ship is to sail at 3:00 P.M., that means all aboard at 2:30.

For people who love the sea and sailing just to see the very famous Gloucester Fisherman Statue dedicated to the memory of those who have gone down in the sea is worth the port stop.

It is a working class fishing city with down to earth, really nice people.

If you wish to tour away from there, I'd be very surprised if HAL doesn't offer a tour to Salem, Home of the Witches :). The Salem Witch House, House of Seven Gables, Nathaniel Hawthorne was born in Salem..... lots of history. A bus from Gloucester to Salem would take about 35 minutes depending upon traffic on Route 128. You'd have time to see more going there than going to Boston.

While Boston is a wonderful place to visit, there's actually far more history in the Salem/Marblehead area and it's less than 30 minutes away. Gloucester and Rockport are interesting to see but Salem and Marblehead had roles in US history before Boston was even founded. They are not just about the witches. The Peabody Essex Museum in Salem is one of the best museums in the Boston area. The East India Trading Co. was in Salem so it was the major port for ships to/from Africa and the Far East.

The Peabody Museum is one of only a few museums in the country displaying the Chinese Forbidden City Art. It is an outstanding musuem very well worth visiting.

We have attended a number of special event there and it's always a treat.

Marblehead quibbles with Beverly as to which is the Birthplace of the U.S. Navy.

Marblehead "Old Town" is absolutely charming and the harbor there is one of the prettiest small harbors loaded with sail boats and cabin cruisers (and Yacht Clubs) you'll ever see. When Old Ironsides was floated out of Boston for the Centennial, they sailed her to this harbor..... and we were there to see that gorgeous site. :) "Old Town Marblehead" is called that as there are a number of homes dating back to the 1700's. The streets are narrow and winding and one on top of the other. Owners are restricted by Historical Society as to any changes they can make. They are all well kept and in the summer bursting with pretty flower gardens.

I agree with the above posts. I am from the greater Boston area and while Boston is a wonderful city to visit, by the time you get there from Gloucester you won't have much time to enjoy the city.

I would enjoy the Gloucester area and then try to get to Rockport, spend time walking around visiting the beautiful art galleries and shops. The weather should be perfect in October. Time permitting Salem (like stated above) is also a great place to visit and wander around in. It would be a very relaxing day with much to see.

In order to really enjoy Boston you'd need more time. Although Gloucester is only about 45 miles/minutes from downtown you never can count on the traffic. I would allow at least an hour each way. Once you get there you'll be thinking about getting back on time ~~ The Freedom Trail alone would take up a big chunk of your time. Not only are you walking the Trail but there are so many interesting things along the way that it could take much longer than expected if you really want to see everything. You could spend the whole day in the North End alone! (Paul Revere's House, Old North Church etc.).

Boston is a wonderful city but I'd plan to visit when you have more time.

While Boston is a wonderful place to visit, there's actually far more history in the Salem/Marblehead area and it's less than 30 minutes away. Gloucester and Rockport are interesting to see but Salem and Marblehead had roles in US history before Boston was even founded. They are not just about the witches. The Peabody Essex Museum in Salem is one of the best museums in the Boston area. The East India Trading Co. was in Salem so it was the major port for ships to/from Africa and the Far East.

Eli and Cotton Mather, two of the men who were behind the Salem witch trials are buried in Boston just off of Boston (public) Gardens. My family, the Joys, had a home next to the old North church in Boston. Cotton Mather wanted the property. Our family was threatened with being witches if we did not leave the area. They then moved to Berwick, ME. to avoid persecution.

I agree that Salem and Gloscester have a lot of history, Boston has a lot more to offer. Just the time there will be short.

This is not a criticism of anyone but for the benefit of those who wish to do travel /tour research, the correct spelling of the port is Gloucester. I've seen many variations in this thread and that could cause confusion.

(It is properly pronounced "Gloss -ter".

Archived