How "Suite" it is . . . Or is it?

My wife and I are booked on the 1/14/06 Jewel of the Seas in a Grand Suite. This is the first time for us in a suite. We are doing it mainly because we really enjoyed having the balcony on our last cruise on Navigator. Great for a morning breakfast or pre-dinner drink. The balcony in the JOS suite seems to be twice as large as NOS (at least according to sq footage posted on website).

I see mention of suite "concierge service" on the RCCL website. I assume this means we have access to the concierge lounge for continental breakfast, etc. Are there other amenities?

My wife and I are booked on the 1/14/06 Jewel of the Seas in a Grand Suite. This is the first time for us in a suite. We are doing it mainly because we really enjoyed having the balcony on our last cruise on Navigator. Great for a morning breakfast or pre-dinner drink. The balcony in the JOS suite seems to be twice as large as NOS (at least according to sq footage posted on website).

I see mention of suite "concierge service" on the RCCL website. I assume this means we have access to the concierge lounge for continental breakfast, etc. Are there other amenities?

I´ve been in GS 1552 on the Jewel twice. There are lots of pics on my website (see link in my signature) of the room and the ship itself. I´m sure by mid June there will be more as I´m booked for my third end of May. (1552 was already booked so I have 1554 this time).

I can´t compare to NOS as I´ve never been on the NOS.

Staying in a GS you´ll have access to the Concierge lounge. There is coffee, tea, hot chocolate, water (not botteled) and Orange Juice 24/7. During the morning hours they have breakfast and in the afternoon / pre-dinner they serve hour deuvre (sp?) and complimentary bar service is available too.

They´ll deliver some goodies to your cabin every afternoon like chocolate covered strawberries, vegetables with dip, pastries, fruit plate, cheese plate, etc. It´s something different every day. I think the coffee in the concierge lounge is the best on the ship. Never tried the breakfast as I lways went the one floor up and got something from the Windjammer to the cabin (greater selection and just one floor up).

The bathroom is huge also. It has a double sink and a bathtub. Lot´s of storage there also. You can seperate the bedroom from the living room by a curtain.

Anything else you´d like to know?

I second the motion that Madfor has said...(Hi Gunnar!!!) The Grand Suite is exquisite.

Our friends had the Grand Suite next to our cabin and they loved it. Very nice size and big balcony too. The Concierge Lounge is just accross the Atrium and very handy for all your needs. We loved the gourmet coffee and the evenings are fantastic. You will even like the view when the ship is under way.

ROSS

Thanks madforcruising!! Those pictures are excellent. Really gives me an idea of what to expect. I never rely on what RCCL puts on the stateroom website - too generic. Your help very much appreciated.

Sparky

I must concur. My fiance and I have been in the Jr suite (Radiance and Enchantment) and the GS (Brilliance) and there is no comparison. The GS is very large and set up very nice. We are in one on AOS (03/06/05). I liked having the espresso machine in the concierge room. Would grab a cup for my fiance and me every morning and would also grab a few free drinks in the evening. You will love it.

Mark

I am enioying this thread. We will be staying in OS 1600 on the AOS in June. I'm sure the perks are probably the same for all suites. Anyone know the differences in the GS and OS ? Mdmourges maybe you can get a peek at OS 1600 while you are on the AOS. :)

We have had GS's on many different ships, most Radiance class, but never the Jewel.

I love the lime body wash and the lighted make up mirror. In the morning I would always throw on my robe and slippers (come with the suite), dash into the lounge and grab a great coffee and a goodie for a balacony breakfast.

I think having a doorbell is just too fun!

I don't remember soda any time but the cocktail hour.

I enjoy having the internet terminals in the Consierge lounge and the DVD's to use.

Prefer GS over OS. Better layout. It is wonderful having your bed by the windows.

Soda is locked up between continental breakfast and pre-dinner snacks. We love the GS, started booking it when my daughter brought a friend, but we cant go back now - too spoiled! One of these days, though, I would sure like an OS.......

I have a GS booked for my 4/8 sailing of the Brilliance. Should I bring my laptop or are the computers in the lounge sufficient? Also-do we pay the same amount for computer access in the lounge or do we get a discount??

For those booked on a Voyager series ship, there is a great website to explore the different rooms and public spaces. Here is the link.

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/onboard/virtualtour/10/10NV.html

You don't have to try hard in losing track of time when you're browsing through this site. It's very informative and gives great images of the areas you are interested in. Enjoy! :)

We traveled with friends on the Jan. 2 sailing of the Radiance and we two couples each had a GS. They had traveled quite a few times earlier on RCCL, so they were members of the "club" while we weren't. They had ordered some hors d'ouevres for the first night, I think...nearly every night afterwards, they had some sort of canapes in their room, but we never got anything!

I figured it was because they were members of the Club, but I keep reading here where every GS suite seems to get the canapes. Sooo, were we cheated? Not that I needed them, and I really don't care - just wondering.

Judy

Madforcruising,

Great pictures! Great site! It is very generous of you to put so much effort into sharing with others. We have booked a GS on the Navigator in July to celebrate our daughter's high school graduation. This is also our first time in a suite and our first time on RCCL. (I still don't get why Celebrity Captain's Club has no carryover to RCCL.) This thread has contributed a bit to our pleasant anticipation. I do have a few questions regarding the GS if you could indulge me.

- What additional tipping is customary in a suite, if any?

- Is the mini bar complimentary at all?

- What is your favorite part of having a suite?

Thanks in advance! :D :D :D

All I have to add is We stayed in Cabin 1552 on the Jewel this past September. Our next cruise will be in a GS. We throughly enjoyed the cruise!

Happy Sailings:)

Yunker, there is a carryover of sorts now. As of the beginning of the year, you are the same level on each line: For example, if you are an Elite Celebrity member, you will be entitled to all of the Diamond level perks of Royal Caribbean (which includes access to the Concierge Club even in an inside cabin). You can't combine cruises across brands, so if you have 8 cruises on RCCL and 3 on Celebrity, you will only be Platinum on RCCL and whatever the first Captain's Club level is.

judyinar -

We were on the same cruise as you were on the 2nd of January in a GS - we never made it to the meet and mingle. We didn't get treats in our cabin either! I was disappointed. We loved the room, loved the concierge lounge and the DVDs available to check out. Since we were traveling with our little ones, El allowed us to take drinks and treats back to our room. He was great, but as I understand it, just filling in for someone else for the week. I would get a GS again in a heartbeat. The extra room was great and Lili was a wonderful cabin attendant.

We have so far only done the GS level and it is as I feared once you have had it there is nowhere to go but up. The conciege lounge is a great feature besides the roominess of your suite. Besides the Expresso brought to me in bed each morning by my sweetie we also enjoyed the afternoon / evening get together we have had with others over cocktails. You actually have a slow down time to meet folks and get better acquanted then in the normal hustle onboard. Also a great Conciege is worth their weight in gold as anyone who has had Maritza can attest! :cool:

Kevin

I've heard people rave about a couple fo the concierges, but what do they do to earn such praise? I know they get you priority tender tickets and Ice show tickets, but what else? I'm planning to book a couple spa appointments. Should I go to the spa when we board, or ask the concierge to handle it? While he/she be able to secure better spa times? TIA!

Yunker310, the standard tip is $5.75 pp per day, for your cabin steward, in a suite. The mini bar is just the usual stuff in the fridge, no alcohol, and it is not gratis. You do get glass ware but this is hit or miss. I think the consierge lounge is the best part of having a suite. Add tipping the consierge to your list of additional tips.

Murphy, we have not used the consierge much for bookings. Their hours on duty have been limited and it was just easier to do it ourselves. A friend's husband had a heart attack on our last cruise and the consierge was invaluable to her. He helped make all the arrangements and provided a land line for her to use. Others use the consierge for booking everything from rental cars to tee times. The most we have used the consierge was to email the Loyalty Amb for an appointment and to check on the policies of a certain resort for a day pass. As far as the spa, just tell them you are in a suite and the appointment book will have vacancies.

On our last Serenade cruise, the consierge lounge was so full that they opened the Hollywood Odessey as an overflow lounge. That was great! MUCH better than the original. Real bar, super bartender, good music, nice canapes..our favorite part of the entire cruise.

We never used the Concierge to book anything, but I guess it was just the extra "pampering" you get. He would welcome us by name - get us drinks, etc. Basically made you feel special (and for the extra you pay for a suite, I guess they should!;) ).

Archived