Very 1st cruise... Celebrations and questions? Please help!

Cor28

:) Good Evening folks,

First of all I would like to apologise in advance for the number of questions I am about to ask. This is my first post to this website and my first time on a cruiseship. So please be patient with me. I apologise if these questions have been asked MANY times before....

Anyways, We are joining the Ventura cruise on December 2nd 2011 at Barbados. This is a surprise for my boyfriends 30th birthday and also a treat for myself as I qualify from university with my degree in nursing around the same time. Not to mention our 4th year anniversary when we are away... So I guess this is quite a big event for us. I am really excited.

Well, typical women... I like to plan ahead.

Few questions if you dont mind taking the time to answer me it would be much appreciated.

First of all... Does anyone have any suggestions about making this trip as special as possible?? From excursions, meals, walks, etc?? (Thanks)

This one is a little cringey, but Would you suggest I contact P&O or Virgin (our agent) and request an upgrade?? Is this bad? I would love to pay for the better cabin myself but I am still a student and doing this on my own. :( Bit embarrassed asking this actually, but needs must :(

Can anyone give me an idea of how many outfits we require?? My partner will be taking his kilt?! Is this acceptable for formal nights? I have floor length dresses... Are these to much would you say on the ventura? I am so unsure.

What would you say would be ideal £££ wise? I need to plan both our spending in advance as this is a surprise for him. This is probably a difficult question to answer actually. I guess I mean for drinks etc. Is the cruise expensive??

I thank you so much for your time.

:)

First of all I would like to apologise in advance for the number of questions I am about to ask. This is my first post to this website and my first time on a cruiseship. So please be patient with me. I apologise if these questions have been asked MANY times before....

Anyways, We are joining the Ventura cruise on December 2nd 2011 at Barbados. This is a surprise for my boyfriends 30th birthday and also a treat for myself as I qualify from university with my degree in nursing around the same time. Not to mention our 4th year anniversary when we are away... So I guess this is quite a big event for us. I am really excited.

Few questions if you dont mind taking the time to answer me it would be much appreciated.

First of all... Does anyone have any suggestions about making this trip as special as possible?? From excursions, meals, walks, etc?? (Thanks)

You can buy a celebration package which gives you a bottle of champagne, flowers, chocs in your cabin on arrival. Or book a table in East(Asian fusion) or Marco Pierre White's restaurant.

This one is a little cringey, but Would you suggest I contact P&O or Virgin (our agent) and request an upgrade?? Is this bad? I would love to pay for the better cabin myself but I am still a student and doing this on my own. :( Bit embarrassed asking this actually, but needs must :(

No I wouldn't. It's unlikely you'd be given an upgrade if you ask. You could tell your travel agent you would be willing to accept an upgrade should one be offered.

Can anyone give me an idea of how many outfits we require?? My partner will be taking his kilt?! Is this acceptable for formal nights? I have floor length dresses... Are these to much would you say on the ventura? I am so unsure.

I take a differnet outfit for each night - and then some! - but it isn't necessary. Perhaps enough for a week and then wear again? The kilt and long dresses sound perfect for formal evenings. Less dressy but smartish outfits needed for smart casual.

What would you say would be ideal £££ wise? I need to plan both our spending in advance as this is a surprise for him. This is probably a difficult question to answer actually. I guess I mean for drinks etc. Is the cruise expensive??

How long is a piece of string? Drinks are comparable to a UK pub - not hotel - so pretty reasonable, but excursions are expensive, though not really necessary as you can DIY. Our accounts have been as low as £400 for a cruise and as high as £2,000. As a rough guess, you wouldn't be stinting yourself much on around £500.

I hope this helps a bit and that you have a great time.

Congrats on your nursing degree by the way - I was a ward sister myself so know how hard you must have worked.

Thanks so much for all the advice.

It is so difficult when doing on my own. I want everything to be perfect.

I will probably be the same dress wise. It is just the time of year its winter here but I need summer outfits ha. Need to start soon

Thank you. Nursing is tough but I love it. Best decision I have ever made to start my degree.

Again, appreciate your comments

Thanks

First of all I would like to apologise in advance for the number of questions I am about to ask. No apologies required at all. We've all asked lots of questions on here. Your first cruise is very confusing until you get the hang of how it all works. Then you'll be desperate to book your second cruise. This is my first post to this website and my first time on a cruiseship. So please be patient with me. I apologise if these questions have been asked MANY times before....There is a very good search function on the top toolbar where you can do a general seach of the boards or a specific ship search. All the threads which have answers to your questions will be displayed.

Anyways, We are joining the Ventura cruise on December 2nd 2011 at Barbados. This is a surprise for my boyfriends 30th birthday and also a treat for myself as I qualify from university with my degree in nursing around the same time. Not to mention our 4th year anniversary when we are away... So I guess this is quite a big event for us. I am really excited. Lucky boyfriend. Congratulations on gaining your degree. Hope you get the job you want.

Every day is special on the cruise and you won't want to get off. A meal in MP White's (where you can eat under the stars) or East makes a nice special occasion and at £15-£20 pp extra, doesn't break the bank. You could organise a birthday cake for your boyfriend onboard. Some people put birthday balloons on their cabin door. IMO the celebration packs available are overpriced and you could organise things yourself far cheaper eg you could take a bottle of champagne onboard with you. We take a box of wine for the cabin.

Make the most of room service food. Most of it is free until 11pm. You will also have tea and coffee making facilities in your room. You can get free juices from room service breakfast and keep them in your fridge for mixing with drinks or for later in the day if you wish.

Cruise ships are full of people celebrating special occasions so I doubt you would be succesful unless like cruiseluvva suggests; you mark your booking to accept upgrades. Many people don't do this as they want to be in a particular area of the ship or deck. All the cabins are comfortably appointed on Ventura so you won't feel like you're in the cheap seats :D

Can anyone give me an idea of how many outfits we require?? My partner will be taking his kilt?! Is this acceptable for formal nights? I have floor length dresses... Are these to much would you say on the ventura? I am so unsure. You will need the same type of clothes as a resort holiday plus a couple of formal outfits. The long dresses sound perfect. (You can wear them more than once) The kilt will be excellent. I saw quite a few on Ventura. I was quite surprised how smart Ventura was at night.

The prices are great for drinks onboard. You can buy bottles of spirits for your cabin cheaper from room service than in the supermarkets. Bar drinks are very reasonable. If you have been given On Board credit (OBC) from your TA that will help pay for them. Lots of things are free onboard or at a nominal fee, so you really don't need to spend much. Don't forget to factor in your tips.

We always DIY our port days. It's easy. Do a bit of research in the ports section and see what takes your fancy. You can walk, pick up a local taxi or bus near the port and do your own thing. We budget about $100 per port but often don't spend anything like that much.

You will have a great cruise :D

I think your questions are fine and no different to anybody really before their first cruise. I had no idea what to expect but now can't understand why I waited so long to take my first cruise.

There's a forum on this website called Cruise Fashions and Beauty and a thread has been running for a long time on what ladies wear on formal nights accompanied by photos. Forum is worth a look. On P&O, most ladies wear full length gowns, although I also have a floaty calf-length that I sometimes wear, and chiffon trousers which I wear with a sparkly top. Kilts for men are fine and your partner will not be alone if he wears his.

As a student, sure the possibilities on Ebay will not have passed you by, and with time in hand, you could probably pick up some bargains for your cruise. Have fun!

Thanks so much for the advice. I think the box of wine is a wonderful idea. Do you buy that at port? We are joining ship in Barbados.

Really looking forward to planning this. I am sure you can tell. :) Very excited!!

Thank you so much for that website going to look it up right now. That is ideal.

Have you both cruised the Ventura before?? x

Hi There

My first cruise was also to celebrate a special occasion. In our case our 25th Silver Wedding Anniversary.

I booked the deluxe occasion package...This made it a bit more special...perhaps someone will buy it for you for a present ? If anyone asks, ask for money for this?

You get;

• Flowers in your cabin on arrival, as well as Champagne, and belgium chocolates
  • A vcr for a spa facial and massage
  • A vcr for a formal photograph - choose one of many which will be taken during the cruise, usually the formal portraits are very good.
  • A room service champagne breakfast in your cabin on your special day.

You should find details in the brocure, on the P&O website or by ringing them up. You book and pay before you go, on a credit card.

A good time to buy formal dresses is NOW, in the January sales when stores are selling their christmas formal wear at 3/4 off the price. I work for M&Co and we are selling £50 long dresses for £15-20....also evening bags, wraps etc at great prices now.. so if you haven't got your formal wear buy now. Not before you go at full price.:)

The white Room (Marco's restaurant) is very good for a special occasion but be sure to book as soon as you can once on board as it does get booked up quickly and don't make the mistake I did for my wife's 60th by ordering a cake from reception to be delivered to the restaurant. It was enormous, we'd already had an excellent meal so couldn't eat it and finished up taking it back to our cabin, and cutting it into 4 pieces just to get it in the fridge. Eventually after a few days what we couldn't eat or give away we threw away.

If you're not in a balcony cabin upgrading to one particularly in the Caribbean is worth the money.

Don't know if you've any on-board credit with your package but to give you an idea of prices, drinks are more or less English pub prices, remember to budget for tips to cabin and dining room staff, photographs if you want them will be about £15 each, as with most cruise lines excursions offered are pricey and unless there's something specific you want to do you can probably do your own thing more reasonably from the quayside.

Archived