Connecting Flight at Different Airport

wcook

This came up in another thread, and thought it worth asking.

I know airlines will sell tickets with a connecting flight out of a different airport in New York City.

So MIA -> LGA, connecting flight JFK -> BCN. It's all on one ticket, but the passenger must collect their check bags and get to JFK on their own.

Is there anyplace else in the US where airlines will do this?

...So MIA -> LGA, connecting flight JFK -> BCN. It's all on one ticket, but the passenger must collect their check bags and get to JFK on their own.

Is there anyplace else in the US where airlines will do this?

If you mean where the airline will move you and/or your luggage from one airport to another and not make you collect it and re-check it? Not that I know of, nor would I trust them in any kind of tight time window.

In the case you cite, there are numerous flights from Miami to JFK itself, and also as of this spring a nonstop (Iberia) from Miami to Barcelona. I try to avoid cross-town connections whenever possible.

Washington Reagan and Dulles International Airport in DC was one of the flight options I have seen. Too risky to try and get across town in the small amount of time they allowed so not work it IMHO.

You transport your own. I know of no place where the airline would make the transfer for you (including IAD to BWI, which aren't in the same city-- even the same state-- but both of which have "Washington" in their names; perhaps the above poster meant this was just anothe example where the passenger has to transport the bags). Virtually anyplace you change airports between flights, whether or not it's in one city. There may be someplace where the airline itself has a shuttle service and will transfer you as well as your luggage, but I still don't think it'd be automatic (i.e., you have to collect your bags). I'm thinking of a non-U.S. location (Guarulohos to Congonhas Airpots in Sao Paulo where, I think, TAM has a shuttle bus for its passengers).

Archived