Seattle sites

aubandit

The Elliott Bay waterfront, walkable, including the Seattle Aquarium, many great restaurants, ferry to Bainbridge Island, boat tours of the bay, shopping, Pike Place Market, Safeco Field, the original Starbucks and many other waterfront attractions.

Also the Space Needle, Pioneer Square, the International District, the Zoo, the Seattle Art Museum and if you have a car and an extra day a drive to Mt. Rainier.

Seattle is a great city for a tourist- easy to get around, compact, and lots of fun things to do and see.

If you love seafood and are here on Sunday Salty's on Alki has the best Sunday Brunch seafood heaven!! (and a ton of food for non-seafood lovers also! It would be a short cab ride from Seattle to Alki but it's right on the water you can make reservations ahead of time at http://www.saltys.com .

You can also rent canoes over by Univercity of Washington to go out on the lake with, we try and do that every year just love it! Canals and such to wonder in and out do not have to be out with all the big boats and they also have a larger boat Argosy Cruises that does the lake Washington tours. Ballard locks is pretty cool also :)

We did the Seattle Underground tour and the Museum of Flight and Space last time we were there. The Underground tour was kind of neat since Seattle has been rebuilt a storey or two higher than the original city. The Flight Museum is across from the Boeing plant and has lots of planes and hands on activities for kids.

If you are a sci-fi fan, check out the Science Fiction Museum inside the Experience Music building. It is mostly one guy's personal collection but has lots of Star Wars and Star Trek original pieces (like Kirk's chair). My DH and DS who was 7 at the time LOVED it.

We are heading back to Alaska and Seattle again this summer and plan on doing the Flight Museum again and go up the Space Needle since we didn't do it last time. Not nearly as exciting as the CN Tower but hopefully the view will be good.

Have fun in Seattle and be ready to walk the hills!

No one has mentioned the Boeing factory tour. Years ago they had daily tours where you get to walk around the manufacturing plant. Fabulous if your an aviation buff.

They still have the Boeing Tour up in Everett. Very interesting and I don't even like to fly. My son lives in Seattle and we visit often. Finally did this tour last fall. IIRC it is the largest enclosed building in the world.

http://wildginger.net/

We love to go to the Wild Ginger whenever we travel West to Seattle. Worth checking out!

Diane

One of our favorite Seattle restaurants.

two great restaurants: the dahlia lounge. great food. best coconut creme pie in the world. there's so shortage of seafood restaurants but i like etta's on the waterfront hear pike place market. both are owned by the fabulous chef tom douglas. sorry i don't have their web addresses.

you'll love seattle. i lived in ballard for 7 years and miss it very much.

thanks

We did a water cruise that we loved Saw the Houseboat that was used to film Sleepless in Seattle and several boats that were featured in Deadliest Catch.They also take you though the lock from Lake to Ocean.

You could also try Duck Tours.Heard it is alot of fun.We stayed @The Sheraton and ate at Elephant and Castle Pub using a coupon from restaurants.com

PS: We spent the night in the Comfort Suites Downtown/Seattle Center. It was walking distance from the space needle and a comfortable stay for our family. The shuttle from the hotel to Pier 66 (which they arrange) was $5 per person.

We took the evening Locks Cruise with Argosy, booked online prior to the trip. We had a beautiful evening and it was one of our Seattle highlights. We walked everywhere in Seattle, which was great exercise with all of the hills. Loved the market area and all of the street musicians.

If you like art, definitely check out the Seattle Art Museum, the Seattle Asian Art Museum, or (if the weather is nice) the stunning view from the Olympic Sculpture Garden (which is a part of the art museum though on the other end of town).

More into history, I agree with others here that the Underground Tour is really fun (and I say this as a native). You will learn so much about how Seattle came to be, and get to see something you couldn't otherwise see.

If you have a car there is a tiny park on top of Queen Anne Hill (we always called it Postcard Park, because that is where they take the Seattle postcard pictures from). Beautiful view of downtown, the sound, and Mt. Rainier (if it's clear weather. You also get a good view from your cruise ship though if you don't want to drive.)

The Locks are fun, especially if the salmon are running up the fish ladder. For quirky Seattle, head to Fremont and visit the troll under the bridge statue (a giant troll that eats VW Beetles. Seriously.) or the Lenin statue (a true Russian Lenin statue. It's a long story...).

Again, if you have a car you can head out to West Seattle and stroll along Alki Beach (where Seattle was founded). If not, walk along the waterfront and visit the Aquarium.

One of my favorite places to eat just above Pike Place Market is the Pink Door. For more relaxed fare, you can try the Pike Place Brewery (Burgers and beer brewed on location) or the Pyramid Ale House across the street from Safeco Field (one of America's most beautiful ballparks). You should definitely go to Pike Place Market, but don't neglect the shops in the "Down Under" area. These are often less crowded, but they are not less fun than the busy top thoroughfare. Sometimes I like to stroll along the market, pick up bits and pieces for a picnic from the different shops (Bread in the french bakery, salami from the good deli, fruit from everywhere) and have a little picnic in the waterfront parks.

One year we rented a car and drove up to the top of Whidbey Island, then meandered our way to the bottom, stopping in the great little towns (for the best fish and chips ever!), at craft fairs, rocky beaches, a little pie shop for some fantastic Loganberry pie, etc. then drove the car onto the ferry and headed back to our hotel near the airport. It was a memorable day - probably my favorite! Whidbey Island is just gorgeous - has "Pacific Northwest" written all over it;)!

It is always fun to read about the sites and things people like to do in my town. Here are two other ideas to consider:

You can take a boat to Blake Island from Downtown Seattle. The island is only accessible by boat. While there you will experience a Native American show and salmon dinner. Blake Island is where President Clinton hosted the world leaders while he was President.

Another Idea is to walk on the Seattle / Bremerton Ferry. When in Bremerton - just walk aound the pier, have a coffee or tour the USS Turner Joy or Navel Musem. The ferry ride is a great way to enjoy the Olympic Peninsula.

http://www.visitkitsap.com/includes/popups/member_details.asp?ID=388

ENJOY!!!!!

Archived