cruise veteran considering 1st RCCL - questions

stacieps

I have cruised many times (Platinum with Carnival, Gold with Disney) and am considering my first RCCL cruise. We are a family of 4 (daughter 14 and son 12) looking at the Allure for April 2012.

I'm hoping that people who have sailed RCCL as well as either Carnival or Disney can help me out and point of some differences I may not be aware of.

I've been doing lots of reading on here for the past few days.

Some differences (or things worth knowing anyway) I have been able to find out:

1. some restaurants are included and several are an extra charge (I found a list that made it pretty clear which was which)

2. There are activities (coaster and zip line) at Labadee that are an extra charge.

3. RCCL does NOT allow you to bring soda or bottled water aboard.

Some questions I still have:

1. Are there charges for the rockwall, zip line, flow-rider onboard?

2. Some reports I've seen indicate the sofa turns into a double bed - are there no "upper" beds? Things always go much better when everyone can have their own bed (although we are considering 2 rooms, so it may not matter).

3. Are military discounts only offered on certain cruises? I've seen referenced to them coming out (maybe similar to Disney, when trying to fill ships closer to sail date).

4. Booking shows? Haven't had to ever do this (sailing Disney Dream next month will be our first experience with being assigned a show time). Do you do this once on board or do you do it online ahead of time?

I'm sure I have lots more questions, but that is all that is coming to me right now. Thanks for your help.

I

1. Are there charges for the rockwall, zip line, flow-rider onboard? NO CHARGE for any of these

2. Some reports I've seen indicate the sofa turns into a double bed - are there no "upper" beds? Things always go much better when everyone can have their own bed (although we are considering 2 rooms, so it may not matter). Some but not all rooms have pullman uppers. RCI or your TA may be able to tell you which.

3. Are military discounts only offered on certain cruises? I've seen referenced to them coming out (maybe similar to Disney, when trying to fill ships closer to sail date).They are sometimes but not always offered. It will depend on the cruise, but during the booking process you will be asked if you are military, law enforcement, a senior, or in what state you reside. In each case, if there is a discount that you qualify for, you should receive it

4. Booking shows? Haven't had to ever do this (sailing Disney Dream next month will be our first experience with being assigned a show time). Do you do this once on board or do you do it online ahead of time?You can do it online prior to your cruise or once you board.. Sometimes there are seats available that will be released to everyone shortly before the shows begin so if you care to wait until then you might get lucky

I'm sure I have lots more questions, but that is all that is coming to me right now. Thanks for your help.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask them

Bill

Booking shows in advance is only for Oasis/Allure....all of the other ship's shows are tied to whichever dinner seating you have. If you choose MTD, then you pick which show to attend....no advance reservations needed.

The deck plans show what kind of bedding there is in each cabin...some have only a sofabed, some have 1 or 2 pullman's....check the deck plans!

Royal Caribbean is a great choice for children that age. No one does tweens/teens as well! There's no need to pay for additional food onboard unless you want to...we drink the included beverages like iced tea and water.

Which ships are you considering? How about Freedom from Port Canaveral?

I have cruised many times (Platinum with Carnival, Gold with Disney) and am considering my first RCCL cruise. We are a family of 4 (daughter 14 and son 12) looking at the Allure for April 2012.

I'm hoping that people who have sailed RCCL as well as either Carnival or Disney can help me out and point of some differences I may not be aware of.

1. some restaurants are included and several are an extra charge (I found a list that made it pretty clear which was which)

2. There are activities (coaster and zip line) at Labadee that are an extra charge.

2. Some reports I've seen indicate the sofa turns into a double bed - are there no "upper" beds? Things always go much better when everyone can have their own bed (although we are considering 2 rooms, so it may not matter).

3. Are military discounts only offered on certain cruises? I've seen referenced to them coming out (maybe similar to Disney, when trying to fill ships closer to sail date).

4. Booking shows? Haven't had to ever do this (sailing Disney Dream next month will be our first experience with being assigned a show time). Do you do this once on board or do you do it online ahead of time?

*RCI offers free lunch on Labadee.

*Book the shows online asap or you will be waiting in line and only will be able to go to shows AFTER those who have reserved have been admitted (good seats gone). Ditto, Specialty restaurants. And you will not be penalized if you are a no-show for the shows. You will be penalized if you are a no show for a speciality restaurant (think $10)

*Tomorrow new RCI cruise 'sales' are being advertised-Allure/Oasis included -February cruises are reduced.

*Here is a video of a D-3 ocean view balcony (Allure deck plans show a 'diamond' shape) which sleeps 5 (pullman from ceiling). For me, having two bathrooms is better than squeezing four in a room-but it's your choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S62Cw2US1BE

Having adjacent rather than adjoining rooms would be good, just have the attendant remove the balcony panel.

We sailed on the maiden Allure voyage and have booked for this June!

Cruise #21 on Allure will blow you away and be the best of the last 21. (Your children will love you for the cruise and they will also be blown away by the ship....K.O:)

I have never been blocked from bringing water or soda on board. It is the alcohol that will get blocked. Just make sure any water bottles or pop you wish to have for later are still "sealed". They get kind of leery of several bottles of water that are already open.

Always give other lines a try. Good to find out for your self. I think you older kids may find they like RCI.

3. Are military discounts only offered on certain cruises? I've seen referenced to them coming out when trying to fill ships closer to sail date).

Well I have brought a 6pack of water and 2 ltr of coke on our last couple Royal cruises and someone doing a live feed on board the Allure as we speek stated he brought sodas on thru with him when he boarded so FLL you can

You are correct about military discounts they show up whenever they feeel like But unlike Carnival they dont keep track of it like your Carnival PVP does after you fax in a copy of your DD214

So if you do book book under military discount with Royal you are suppose to bring your ORIGINAL DD214 with you ARE THEY CRAZY?????

SO when I got this discount last year I made a copy and brought it with me and wasnt even asked for it

Try Royal..... good product and better perks after 10 cruises (now11) than Carnival

Carnival Platinum is only good(IMO) for free laundry and Priority Embark/Disembark. While when you make Royal diamond(=Platinum) you get $200 Balcony discount on a 7day so the prices are comparable with prices on Carnival

Enforcement is spotty.

As for water, you'll find that experienced travelers bring a water filter/pitcher, rather than trying to lug cases of water around. It's cheaper, and (unless you get water in glass bottles), makes for better tasting/healthier water.

You'll notice the newbies trying to lug cases of water around the buffet at lunch on the first day.

I'm just like you. we are booked on the mariner of the seas in june to the med. we have only been on carnival there will 3 of us in the room and we have a d1 cat they say sofa bed that it pulls out like the ones you would have a home? we'll see and let you know i ask about soda,juice,water and they advise me no.

Just got off Allure, eastern route. Have sailed on Valor and Elation.

Allure is like no other ship. Well except for it's smaller sister Oasis. Expect a lot of walking, the pool deck can be windy and chilly, you'll likely also notice reasonably frequent bad odors in most cabin corridors, although not in your cabin. These are likely the only negatives you will find.

If you have shows that you really want to see book them online ahead of time. Otherwise don't worry too much. I had no problem getting into a couple of shows I hadn't booked and I've not heard of anyone that wasn't able to get a seat at a show they wanted to see - although they may have had to wait in line for 15 or so minutes.

Really good shows are Blue Planet, Ocean Aria and Ice Games. I personally got board with Chicago, as did most men I talked to, (women universally liked it), but the talent and production values are quite good.

Charge and no-charge venues are clearly marked. Some, like the Promenade Cafe, have both included (no-charge) and charge offerings.

No-charge food venues I would suggest you check out are: WipeOut Cafe - nacho & taco bar, hot dogs, hamburgers, frozen yogurt. Park Cafe (a must) - custom salads, custom pannini, excellent hand cut roast beef sandwiches, wraps, soups, etc. Solarium Bistro - lighter fare than Windjammer for breakfast and lunch.

I wouldn't revisit the added charge Samba Grill - Brazilian themed diner restaurant. Very friendly staff wonderful antipasto bar but completely disorganized service and for the most part very poorly cooked meat, i.e. very over done.

Check out the pricing on 2 double occupancy cabins. You may find that the price differential between that and a quad occupancy cabin is worth the extra bathroom. When I priced a quad balcony vs a balcony and an inside, the difference was negligible.

The entertainment options on Allure are truly staggering. Check out of the way places like the Viking Crown Lounge in the evening.

Oh, and don't forget the frozen yogurt machines on the sides of the pylons that separate the forward and aft pools. Vanilla, chocolate, twist and strawberry. Alas, not 24 hour.

Archived