Recent Internet Info Insignia

psgabin

Anyone with recent history of internet service on Insignia,will be on 2/19 BA to RIO. Taking an iphone and ipad and laptop. Can i share single internet account across all three? Has anyone tried iphone facetime or skype on the Insignia recently? Curious I have a slingbox at home, has anyone tried connecting to slingbox and watching tv from home? BTW I do intend to enjoy myself, just a little nerdy and techie when nothing else to do late at nite.

A partial comment ... I don't know about the Iphone, but from my experience your Ipad and laptop should both be useable. You sign in with your user name and password so it shouldn't matter what system you are using.

Come to think of it, several years ago when I was in an OS on one cruise (Regatta) and a VS on another (Insignia), they gave me a laptop to use in the room. Sometimes I used mine, sometimes their's ... Both worked just fine on the 'net so I assume your Ipad will as well.

It is my understanding that Skype will be blocked while onboard. When we were docked we were able to capture "free" wireless depending on how close the signal was from our balcony to the source at the port.

Jill

There won't be any problem using any Wi-Fi device interchangeably on the Insignia. The cost will be your limiting factor - it is rather expensive through Oceania. If you have other global unlimited access, then there is no problem.

Skype will be disabled at sea, AFAIK.

We just did a cruise on Regatta and found the cost of their wireless service really high given its speed. For example, 500 minutes will cost you $300 or 60 cents a minute. Cheapest per minute package is 1200 minutes for $540. The company providing wireless service is that same one that serviced a HAL ship I was one early last year and the prices were half that! I figure Oceania must be taking quite a cut.

It was interesting that I found I got greater speed while using my laptop in my cabin than I did if I went to the computer center and used one of their computers. Level of service varies throughout the ship and our computer center manager actually had a diagram showing where the signal was strong and where poor cabin-by-cabin. We were fortunate to be in a cabin with a good signal. Some folks had to take their machines out to a public area to use it effectively.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone with recent history of internet service on Insignia,will be on 2/19 BA to RIO. Taking an iphone and ipad and laptop. Can i share single internet account across all three? Has anyone tried iphone facetime or skype on the Insignia recently? Curious I have a slingbox at home, has anyone tried connecting to slingbox and watching tv from home? BTW I do intend to enjoy myself, just a little nerdy and techie when nothing else to do late at nite.

Used the Iphone onboard Regatta using their wi-fi purchase plan.

Archived