What is the best thing about cruising with P&O?

Jo and Rob

We will be going on our first P&O cruise in April having previously sailed with Princess, Royal Caribbean and Costa. We tend to go with which ever cruise line gives the best deal (in the school holidays) which for next Summer is Celebrity (only £5067 for four with a balcony). I have been comparing costs of excursions and P&O offer great value excursions compared to Celebrity. The excursion entiled "Florence and Pisa on your own" is £44 with P&O and a whopping £57 with Celebrity!

So I will start the ball rolling with good things about P&O and we haven't even been on the trip yet!

1. Good value excursions compared with other cruise lines.
  2. No service charge added to drinks (compared to the normal 15%)
  3. Generous on board credit, we have £130 for one week in an outside cabin (compared with the Celebrity $200 OBC for a fortnight which works out at about £125 and that is with a balcony and we didn't get any OBC with Royal Caribbean or Costa)

I thought hard about your question and all I could think of were negatives and yet I still cruise with them. I've sailed with 6 other companies and P&O best suits our overall needs, but I can't think of anything to finish the sentence "I cruise with P&O because....." :confused::confused::

Now ask what I don't like and I can give you a top 10! yet I still book ...... Go figure!

I thought hard about your question and all I could think of were negatives and yet I still cruise with them. I've sailed with 6 other companies and P&O best suits our overall needs, but I can't think of anything to finish the sentence "I cruise with P&O because....." :confused::confused::confused:

Rob likes to know the worst case scenario and has low expectations so when we board we are pleasantly surprised. With this in mind I would appreciate knowing what "negatives" you are referring to.

I thought hard about your question and all I could think of were negatives and yet I still cruise with them. I've sailed with 6 other companies and P&O best suits our overall needs, but I can't think of anything to finish the sentence "I cruise with P&O because....." :confused::confused::

Now ask what I don't like and I can give you a top 10! yet I still book ...... Go figure!

Interesting to read. I sailed with P & O on Oceana in 2004 and was not too impressed, nothing to put my finger on. So last year I booked with P & O again on Artemis, it provided the itinerary I wanted. Arrived at the ship, went to my cabin and while waiting for the luggage, thought we would have a walk round the ship being new to us, it was like the Marie Celeste:D, anyway had a great cruise, so this year we have booked on Oceana again, glutten for punishment? we shall see.

The best thing about P&O is that they are pretty cheap and some of their itineraries are attractive - particularly on the World Cruises. We enjoy the repositioning cruises as well.

We actively dislike the fact the passenger base is almost exclusively British and rather insular, although there are a few other nationalities on the worldies making things more interesting. We find the menus on board a little too British for us and dislike the "can't do" attitude, while Princess and some others have a "can do" approach.

But overall, if the itinerary and price are right, we're happy enough to go with various cruiselines.

We like P&O. (To be fair we also like Fred)

Checking in is amazing - 20 mins after the cab dropped us off we were in the cabin and bags had arrived.(this process took over 3 hours with Fred)

Lots to do on board. Food is excellent. Drinks are cheaper than London pubs and excursions much cheaper than Fred Olsen.

The Headliners are West End standard so the evening shows were great.

Not as personal as Fred but maybe you prefer that. (They are just so much larger so you dont bump into the same people again and again, and the staff are not as friendly).

Overall we have decided that P&O are our line of choice if they have the itinerary we are after.

There is a strange atmosphere on P&O ships. You can tell on the 1st day what the fortnight will be like, don't ask me why, it's as if they have an aura aboUt them.

NUMBER ONE.

The passengers make the cruise and set the tone. I've been on one cruise where the passengers are fantastic and another where the passengers are miserable, no way to determine till you are on board and the funny thing is that the crew know it too and the waiters will tell you what mood the ship is in within hours of it sailing!

I guess that if the ship is predominantly full of cruise virgins or has a broad age range of passengers then they have no pre consieved ideas and go with the flow, this is a good cruise. If the ship is full of goldies or verteran cruises from other lines then they expect more than they get and have something to compare with and so the entertainment is never as good or the foods worse or the carpets are worn. Plus these type of cruises attract the herd, everyone wants to do things at the same time, eat, go to the show, see the comedian, drink in the bar and things are extremely crowded in certain areas at certain times of the evening. You can go into say the Havana Bar on Ventura at 11pm and it be empty,literally empty, because everyone has seen the show and left, yet people are fighting for seats and it's standing room only in the Metropolis bar. This causes moans and makes for a poor atmosphere.

I think we mainly like them because they make for any easy cruise with young children, particularly sailing from Southampton. Entertainment is probably better on RCI as are the cabins, the buffet and ships overall. Also I prefer the more international mix of passengers on ex Spanish sailings etc. on RCI. However, P&O staff aren't always in your face like they are on some the Americal lines trying to sell you things, the kids facilities are great, drinks prices are very reasonable, the tips are much lower than other lines and the food in the main dining room is of a good standard (if a little 'British' in theme). P&O are kind of middle of the road and good value overall. If it was just me and hubby we might choose a different cruise line but with young kids it is our first choice.

In contrast we have booked QM2 for a roundtrip TA in August as there were free kids places. On paper, it looks a reasonable price but when you start adding on all the extras like $11 each tips (including the kids) you realise it won't be that cheap after all.

We have only cruised with P&O once; booked a second cruise within weeks of returning.

We liked sailing from Southampton for the first time, when previously, we've flown to Miami and had an overnight stay, which gets complicated with packing.

Being looked after from the minute we stepped on the complimentary coach.

Liked the feel of the ship (Ventura) instantly.

Liked the onboard prices and the tipping structure.

Liked the cameraderie amongst passengers and crew.

Very comfortable staterooms.

Entertainment for all types.

LOVE tea and coffee facilities.

Liked the sailaways, especially great British sailaway. :)

The reason we sail P&O is mainly because they offer a good range of itineraries from Southampton. We can usually take advatange of free coach travel and it's great to board the coach close to home, relax and not see our luggage again till we're in our cabin.

We agree that excursions are MUCH cheaper than other lines, as are bar prices. Although it is pretty much only Brits aboard, that can be an advantage! On Celebrity and Princess in the Med, we have found Americans tend to have very early starts to their day and pack their time ashore so full, that many go to bed early. This means the ship can be dead after 10:30. Generally we like the entertainment in the theatre and bars better on P&O.

Overall we probably prefer P&O to other lines but like everything else in life, the cruise is what you make it.

We will be going on our first P&O cruise in April having previously sailed with Princess, Royal Caribbean and Costa. We tend to go with which ever cruise line gives the best deal (in the school holidays) which for next Summer is Celebrity (only £5067 for four with a balcony). I have been comparing costs of excursions and P&O offer great value excursions compared to Celebrity. The excursion entiled "Florence and Pisa on your own" is £44 with P&O and a whopping £57 with Celebrity!

So I will start the ball rolling with good things about P&O and we haven't even been on the trip yet!

1. Good value excursions compared with other cruise lines.
  2. No service charge added to drinks (compared to the normal 15%)
  3. Generous on board credit, we have £130 for one week in an outside cabin (compared with the Celebrity $200 OBC for a fortnight which works out at about £125 and that is with a balcony and we didn't get any OBC with Royal Caribbean or Costa)

Better deals, good itinerary, great transfers, tea making in the rooms, best cruise line for children and family on Ventura, great sailaways, cheaper drinks, best overall package

Now the down sides compared to Princess and Celebrity

Service slower and poor by comparison

staff not outgoing - more difficult to engage with the bar staff in particular as they do not work on the same earnings system as the USA ships

food OK but very meat and 2 veg and poor variety

sunbathing like sardines 2 inches apart!

buffet food acceptable

I could not think of a single member of staff who went the extra mile but I was spoiled for choice with Celebrity and Princess

Hi

I've been on Carnival, RCI and Celebrity and P&O's Oceana in 2005.

I loved the Oceana and I'm hoping that it's the same for all of the ships.

Without wanting to be controversial and sounding like a little Englander which I'm not (can't wait to retire to warmer climes)

• I loved there being no brash, OTT Americans - bragging, complaining, being rude and being - well - loud.
  • Decent tea and coffee.
  • Being able to take alcohol on board, without having it confiscated.
  • UK plugs!
  • Not needing to think whether or not we could afford a drink - and the prices still seem to be 'pub prices'
  • The service not too overbearing - on Celebrity you virtually had to fight off the waiters offering to carry your tray - I want to carry my own sometimes!
  • The tipping didn't seem to be an issue - again with Celebrity my 15 year old daughter wasn't allowed anywhere after 11pm or in some pools but they still insisted she paid 'adult tips'

It would be nice if we could pick and chose aspects of different cruise lines - but you can't but overall I found P&O right up my street,

Gillian x

I could not think of a single member of staff who went the extra mile but I was spoiled for choice with Celebrity and Princess

We've also cruised with Princess and Celebrity and the only time we've ever nominated a member of staff for an award was on Oriana last year. Collectively, the staff on Celebrity are probably the most courteous, but last year we had the most fantastic wine waiter who was outgoing, fun and so thoughtful. She truly did go the extra ten miles! She worked in the Crows Nest after dinner was over and if we ever ended up there for a night-cap she was just a delight to chat to and entirely natural.

I think we mainly like them because they make for any easy cruise with young children, particularly sailing from Southampton. Entertainment is probably better on RCI as are the cabins, the buffet and ships overall. Also I prefer the more international mix of passengers on ex Spanish sailings etc. on RCI. However, P&O staff aren't always in your face like they are on some the Americal lines trying to sell you things, the kids facilities are great, drinks prices are very reasonable, the tips are much lower than other lines and the food in the main dining room is of a good standard (if a little 'British' in theme). P&O are kind of middle of the road and good value overall. If it was just me and hubby we might choose a different cruise line but with young kids it is our first choice.

In contrast we have booked QM2 for a roundtrip TA in August as there were free kids places. On paper, it looks a reasonable price but when you start adding on all the extras like $11 each tips (including the kids) you realise it won't be that cheap after all.

we have sailed on the QM2 3 times it is one of our favorite ships;the second we board igo straight to the front desk and waiver my gratuites,as i do on every cruise we go on. At the end of the cruise itip who i want to tip...ie we always tip our steward< in cash>. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THIS XX AMOUNT PER PERSON PER DAY. Hope you all have a brilliant time.

1. Sailing from Southampton - we leave home at 9.15am and are checking in and perhaps even onboard by 12.45 - 3 1/2 hrs later -eating lunch onboard!

2. No luggage weight restrictions on a round trip Southampton P&O Cruise, take as much luggage as you want - heaven.

3.Take your own booze onboard - can't do this on other cruiselines., I only take wine, but its nice to drink on your balcony when you want.

4. Tipping., You tip according to service receieved - no autotipping deducted from your bill.

5. Pub priced drinks and British beers for the men

6. Tea and coffee when YOU want it on a hospitality tray in your cabin - a lot of US ships don't do this.

7. Good value port tours

8. UK plugs

9. Good breakfasts with back bacon (not greasy streaky bacon like on US ships) , good tasty sausages, UK teas and Coffees.

10. British passengers, so also just one language ship announcements, not like on some ships when announcements are repeated in 3,4 or more different languages.

11. £ currency used onboard so you can control your spending

12. British Captain and Officers

13. UK based Entertainers and ships dance company, so entertainment aimed at our sense of humour, on US ships you get US or unknown entertainers with a different idea of what we find funny.

1. Sailing from Southampton - we leave home at 9.15am and are checking in and perhaps even onboard by 12.45 - 3 1/2 hrs later -eating lunch onboard!

2. No luggage weight restrictions on a round trip Southampton P&O Cruise, take as much luggage as you want - heaven.

3.Take your own booze onboard - can't do this on other cruiselines., I only take wine, but its nice to drink on your balcony when you want.

4. Tipping., You tip according to service receieved - no autotipping deducted from your bill.

5. Pub priced drinks and British beers for the men

6. Tea and coffee when YOU want it on a hospitality tray in your cabin - a lot of US ships don't do this.

7. Good value port tours

8. UK plugs

9. Good breakfasts with back bacon (not greasy streaky bacon like on US ships) , good tasty sausages, UK teas and Coffees.

10. British passengers, so also just one language ship announcements, not like on some ships when announcements are repeated in 3,4 or more different languages.

11. £ currency used onboard so you can control your spending

12. British Captain and Officers

13. UK based Entertainers and ships dance company, so entertainment aimed at our sense of humour, on US ships you get US or unknown entertainers with a different idea of what we find funny.

So Sue you do not like p&o:rolleyes:

Gan canny

Dai

a) the variety and length of the itineraries. In Europe at least, they don't just do the same weekly bus-route over and over again. Even on the often very-similar 14 night Med or Baltic cruises, there are often slight differences between cruises, so you've got an enormous variety to choose from;

b) on-board policies, e.g. drinks prices (I truly hate the '+15%' policy on US-based lines), drinks measures (you don't know how much you're getting on US lies), tea in the cabins, etc.

c) No smoking anywhere inside the ship! (Celebrity have this as well, of course);

d) free shuttle buses. We paid $10 each for the bus from Tourlas port into Mykonos on Celebrity - all of 2 kilometres - and I deeply resented it.;

e) a variety of little touches. For example, the entertainment staff are very happy to engage in to-and-fro banter when they're working. On the US ships there seems to be this "mustn't contradict the passenger" policy, which makes it very bland.

Now for some things I don't like so much:

a) the passenger mix is very, very homogeneous - basically, just about 100% Brit. On Celebrity I enjoyed meeting people from many different countries (Let me also say that *without exception* the americans I have met on cruises have been the politest people imaginable);

b) it can all get a bit 'Little Englander' - that 'Great British Sailaway', for example. We find somewhere on the ship where it's not happening and enjoy the peace & quiet;

c) the service can be a bit dour. US-style service is definitely more 'in your face' and while at time it can be disconcerting, they do at least smile; we've seen a lot of unsmiling staff on P&O. On the other hand, we've also found that if we make a point of smiling at them, we get smiles back.

Archived