Celebrity Summit

Liz

Attention solo cruisers - watch Celebrity's Tuesday sales for great deals!

I got a crazy rate yesterday on 2/19/11 Summit ($663 for OV) and am looking for some advice - what are the do's and don'ts, tips and secrets? I was on Solstice about 2 years ago and got bored, but I think it was the three days at sea that did me in - this itinerary is port-intensive, with three of the five ports new to me.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Liz

I got a crazy rate yesterday on 2/19/11 Summit ($663 for OV) and am looking for some advice - what are the do's and don'ts, tips and secrets? I was on Solstice about 2 years ago and got bored, but I think it was the three days at sea that did me in - this itinerary is port-intensive, with three of the five ports new to me.

Liz

Hi Liz:) I am sailing SUMMIT for the 4th time on Feb 5th (think I like

the ship:D). The Southern Caribbean itineraries are really good and

yes, they are quite port intensive. But I don't ever get bored on

a cruise anyway~I love sea days;)

I will be glad to try and help with any questions you have too.

I always sail solo and will be going solo this time as well.:)

Oh, if you do a search there are a couple of REALLY good reviews

and 1 is from a solo cruiser named Dena. She sailed back in NOV and

posted lots of wonderful pictures as well.:)

Liz

Wow Liz! That's a great price. Congrats to you. I'll be on the Summit on Feb 26th and it's my first Celebrity cruise so I'm not much help for you.

It is port-intensive. But, that made the decision about the drink packages a little easier. I was looking at getting the Premium drink package but I don't think that would make sense economically given the actual amount of time spent on the ship.

Oh, if you do a search there are a couple of REALLY good reviews

and 1 is from a solo cruiser named Dena. She sailed back in NOV and

posted lots of wonderful pictures as well.:)

Hi there! Here's the link to my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1314598&highlight=

as you can see from the review, I had an amazing time sailing solo on summit :) port-intensive was definitely the way to go as I never had a chance to get bored or run out of ways to keep myself entertained, as I made the most of every minute we were in port! have a fantastic cruise :)

as you can see from the review, I had an amazing time sailing solo on summit :) port-intensive was definitely the way to go as I never had a chance to get bored or run out of ways to keep myself entertained, as I made the most of every minute we were in port! have a fantastic cruise :)

Hi Dena, I sail a week from this Saturday:D

Thanks, everyone! Lois, are you on the same itinerary - St Croix, St Kitts, Dominica, Grenada and Tobago? I hope you will have time for a mini-review when you return - shows, etc.

I am psyched about this one, I read a few reviews before I booked it and there were very few negative comments - mostly very positive. Thanks for the link, Dena!

TessM, I agree about the drink packages. I'll probably just do the Coke package and be done. I just made Diamond on Royal (just got in with the new rules, too) so I will be able to have a glass of wine in the Elite lounge each night... my days and nights of drinking too much are long gone (oh, but I have memories!!) I'm usually an early bird while in port, and chose late seating, so that simplified my decision.

Are there any events for solos (not that it really matters, but I try to attend them just so the staff knows their efforts are appreciated)? There's a nice roll call going and that always makes it a bit easier, though I don't have a shy bone in my body! What's your overall opinion of the shore excursions?

Off to work - thanks again!

Liz

Thanks, everyone! Lois, are you on the same itinerary - St Croix, St Kitts, Dominica, Grenada and Tobago? I hope you will have time for a mini-review when you return - shows, etc.

I am psyched about this one, I read a few reviews before I booked it and there were very few negative comments - mostly very positive. Thanks for the link, Dena!

TessM, I agree about the drink packages. I'll probably just do the Coke package and be done. I just made Diamond on Royal (just got in with the new rules, too) so I will be able to have a glass of wine in the Elite lounge each night... my days and nights of drinking too much are long gone (oh, but I have memories!!) I'm usually an early bird while in port, and chose late seating, so that simplified my decision.

Are there any events for solos (not that it really matters, but I try to attend them just so the staff knows their efforts are appreciated)? There's a nice roll call going and that always makes it a bit easier, though I don't have a shy bone in my body! What's your overall opinion of the shore excursions?

Off to work - thanks again!

Liz

Hi Liz, yes that is my itinerary:) I have been to all the places

before except Tobago. It will be my first visit there and there are about

4 couples on my roll call and me who are going on a catamaran

excursion called "ISLAND GIRL":D. We have a really fun roll

call for this cruise which definitely makes things nice. Everyone

is quite friendly:)

I have been sailing Celebrity for almost 8 years now so yes, I love

the line. I have never attened any events for solos but I never look

for them either. I really don't care if I meet other solo cruisers as

I always end up having a wonderful time.:)

I have been sailing Celebrity for almost 8 years now so yes, I love

the line. I have never attened any events for solos but I never look

for them either. I really don't care if I meet other solo cruisers as

I always end up having a wonderful time.:)

Lois, I know you are fond of Traditional Dining (me too!). Do you usually get seated with other solos? Just curious. I wasn't sure if Celebrity made an effort to sit solos together.

I'm on the "other" itinerary on the Summit (leaving San Juan on Feb 26) and I just got an email back about my tour on St. Lucia. It had been a couple of days since I inquired so I was getting worried. But, I'm booked and I'm thrilled. It's my first visit to St. Lucia and I got my first choice (Herod).

Lois, I know you are fond of Traditional Dining (me too!). Do you usually get seated with other solos? Just curious. I wasn't sure if Celebrity made an effort to sit solos together.

I'm on the "other" itinerary on the Summit (leaving San Juan on Feb 26) and I just got an email back about my tour on St. Lucia. It had been a couple of days since I inquired so I was getting worried. But, I'm booked and I'm thrilled. It's my first visit to St. Lucia and I got my first choice (Herod).

Hi Tess:) no, I don't usually get seated with other solos. This cruise

I am linked with some folks from my roll call for dinner and we are

all looking forward to sharing a table together:)

Being part of a "solo table" is not important to me. As long as

the folks are friendly that is what matters to me.:)

Being part of a "solo table" is not important to me. As long as

the folks are friendly that is what matters to me.:)

Agreed. Overall, I've been pleased with my tablemates. Only one cruise was a little less than exciting in terms of dining companions.

And, I totally agree that it's not important to me to meet up with other solos. I had an uncomfortable experience on my first cruise when I met another solo traveler. She was so thrilled to meet me and seemed to think that since I was solo and she was solo that we should be joined at the hip. The poor gal was on the needy side and although it was difficult, I was able to gently let her know that I had plans already and gave her some suggestions of things she could do by herself - or, where she could meet other people.

Agreed. Overall, I've been pleased with my tablemates. Only one cruise was a little less than exciting in terms of dining companions.

And, I totally agree that it's not important to me to meet up with other solos. I had an uncomfortable experience on my first cruise when I met another solo traveler. She was so thrilled to meet me and seemed to think that since I was solo and she was solo that we should be joined at the hip. The poor gal was on the needy side and although it was difficult, I was able to gently let her know that I had plans already and gave her some suggestions of things she could do by herself - or, where she could meet other people.

Ohhh....that would drive me a bit nuts:eek:.

I am thinking back over the years and I have also been pretty

pleased with most of my dinnermates. I was on Mercury a few

years ago and that particular cruise I had a 6 top (I prefer 8) but

anyway, that was the only cruise I can recall where all 6 of us

were solo. There were 3 gals traveling together who worked for

the same Dentist (she was one of the 3) and she was treating the

other 2 to the cruise for a Christmas gift. There was one other gal

whose husband does not like to cruise so she went alone, me, and

one guy who was the lecturer on board. I remember that table

clearly. The 3 gals were from Indiana and the lady from Hawaii and

she was quite a putz:rolleyes:. She was always late for dinner and she

drank to the point of being unpleasant...not every night but much

of the time. The 3 gals were so nice I stayed at the table. Overall

I had a great time on that sailing since I had been on Mercury many

times before and I had the same waiter as on a previous crusie too.:)

Ouch, that happened to me too... the girl on my cruise had just broken up with her husband and wanted a dry shoulder... I try to be nice to everyone, but after a couple of days I told her that I am too independent for my own good (according to my ex-husband and several others!) and really was not sure what my plans were going to be for the rest of the week. There comes a time that one has to be a bit selfish... it's my vacation (and hard-earned money paying for it!!)

I was on a Carnival cruise a few years ago, table full of solos including a few that drank wa-a-ay too much. A women and a man (both tanked) started arguing politics... it got ugly! Oneof the fellows asked the maitre 'd to break it up and he handled very professionally, but it was pretty embarrassing and the woman didn't show up for the remaining dinners. Go figure...

Liz

Super review, Dena - thank you!

Liz

• 2 weeks later...
Looking forward to your "review" when you return - two weeks to go for me and I will be on Summit for the first time.

Wishing you calm seas and cool breezes!

Liz

Liz....just home tonite...had a blast:D:):D....wish I could go back

with you!

Liz....just home tonite...had a blast:D:):D....wish I could go back

with you!

Did you do any excursions? I have not decided what to do yet - I found a few that look good but am tempted to see what I can find once we dock. I usually do ship excursions when I am in a port for the first time, to get an idea of the safety for a solo female traveler, but am so undecided about this trip. I'm thinking about St Kitts as a stay-on-board day (I was just there in April and did an all-day tour), maybe do a spa package - did they have the 3 treatments for $99 deals, like RCCL?

Welcome back to the real world... I think...

Liz

Did you do any excursions? I have not decided what to do yet - I found a few that look good but am tempted to see what I can find once we dock. I usually do ship excursions when I am in a port for the first time, to get an idea of the safety for a solo female traveler, but am so undecided about this trip. I'm thinking about St Kitts as a stay-on-board day (I was just there in April and did an all-day tour), maybe do a spa package - did they have the 3 treatments for $99 deals, like RCCL?

Welcome back to the real world... I think...

Liz

Hi Liz:) I posted a review (well sort of a mini overview) and here is

the link: I did include all of my excursions and so it will give you an

idea of what I did.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1359070

Hope this helps a bit:)

Oh...they do offer SPA Specials but I never even went in there this trip.

• 3 weeks later...

What a terrific cruise, ship and crew! I was pretty much blown away... Only a few hiccups but my persistence resolved them. I cannot wait to cruise on Summit again. I came home with a bad cold (is there ever a good one?) and a high pollen count so have been pretty miserable and lazy all week after work, but I started a review while onboard and will hopefully finish it this weekend.

TessM, I had a similar experience with another solo traveler... again! She really could not get the hint that I wanted to be independent, and her cabin was two doors down from mine, so I had to be a bit forceful, also found myself taking the stairs more often.

This cruise totally changed my impression about Celebrity - I'm hooked!! Thank you, everyone!!

Liz

What a terrific cruise, ship and crew! I was pretty much blown away... Only a few hiccups but my persistence resolved them. I cannot wait to cruise on Summit again. I came home with a bad cold (is there ever a good one?) and a high pollen count so have been pretty miserable and lazy all week after work, but I started a review while onboard and will hopefully finish it this weekend.

TessM, I had a similar experience with another solo traveler... again! She really could not get the hint that I wanted to be independent, and her cabin was two doors down from mine, so I had to be a bit forceful, also found myself taking the stairs more often.

This cruise totally changed my impression about Celebrity - I'm hooked!! Thank you, everyone!!

Liz

Liz, I am so glad you had such a good time:D:)..you live in Tampa?

Well, my goodness.....driving to Ft. Lauderdale and/or Miami is a

piece of cake;)...you do know Celebrity has ships in both ports, right?

Liz

Liz! You just got off the Summit today???????

Me too. --- I can't believe we missed each other. But, that's funny about the problem you had with another solo passenger. --- BUT, I SWEAR it wasn't me. LOL :o:o:o

Actually, I'm not home yet and I left San Juan at 1:40pm local time. I'm still at SeaTac waiting for a shuttle to take me the 1 1/2 hours home to Bellingham. Getting home was surely a piece of cake for you. I should be home by 1:30am Pacific. Yes, a very LONG travel day.

I'm glad to hear that you had a great cruise and I'm not surprised. I had some hiccups too mostly with my cabin steward (sweet guy but not very good at his job) but it got to the point where I was just laughing about it cause it was such silly little stuff but I couldn't wait to see what would happen next.

Tess and Liz, you both sailed SUMMIT the same week and did not know it?:eek:

I guess ya'll didn't participate in the roll call?...that is one of the things

I really love about this site:)

Either one of you want to go again?:D....I am seriously thinking of sailing

SUMMIT again in the late fall (possibly November)...would be fun to meet

ya'll live:)

Tess and Liz, you both sailed SUMMIT the same week and did not know it?:eek:

I guess ya'll didn't participate in the roll call?...that is one of the things

I really love about this site:)

Either one of you want to go again?:D....I am seriously thinking of sailing

SUMMIT again in the late fall (possibly November)...would be fun to meet

ya'll live:)

Lois, I did join the roll call and signed up for the Celebrity Connections function. I'm so glad I did because Celebrity invited us all to a bridge tour on the sea day - which is something I've never experienced before. It was great.

Some of our roll call met the first day right after muster and it was great to put faces with names. The Connections event wasn't well attended but I had a nice long chat with the Hotel Manager, Julian. He was very gracious with his time. I also met Casey, the events manager. Later in the week I met with her about something we discussed at the Connections event.

While I'd love to meet you on a cruise, and I have a feeling that is bound to happen sometime, :) I'm thinking about getting back on the Summit next year in late-Feb or early March. After hearing Julian explain all the changes to the Summit in January, I think sailing on her again and seeing a "brand new" ship would be a blast.

I wouldn't rule out another cruise later in the year, but I already have that 5-day Med cruise in late-May and I'm thinking of an Alaska cruise in late-July, early-Aug.

Hi Tess,:) Julian is awesome. This was my 3rd time sailing with him:)

Not sure if you saw "Dancing with The Stripes"? but I got to be a judge

with him for that show:D. It was alot of fun!

Yes, I know Summit is being "Solsticizied" in January 2012. I was looking

at prices and they are going up too:rolleyes:. So I may go before that time

and then again at a later date.

As for your plans? You are going on a 5 day Mediterranian Cruise?:confused:

Or did you mean 15 day?

Anyway, glad you had such a good time on Summit too:)

As for your plans? You are going on a 5 day Mediterranian Cruise?:confused:

Or did you mean 15 day?

It's a five day. The cruise is an afterthought. I really want to see Barcelona. So, I'll be there for 10 days plus 5 days on the cruise. Actually, 4 days in Barcelona, 5 day cruise and then 6 days in Barcelona.

It will be my first Royal Caribbean cruise on the Liberty of the Seas.

Archived