San Diego to LAX - quickest / most efficient way

YTOcruisers

We are arriving in San Diego on the Oosterdam on March 5 and need to get a flight from LAX at 3:15PM that afternoon. The ship docks at 7:00AM but I assume we won't be off for another hour or two after that.

Any suggestions for the quickest/most cost efficient way to get from the San Diego port to LAX?

The quickest way is fly....SAN airport is 2 miles from the cruisedocks. It's the most expensive option unless it's part of a SAN-LAX-(Home) itenerary connecting through LAX.

The best bet is rental car. Allow 3-3.5 hours, accounting for pickup and return of the car. This assumes no traffic; since March 5 is Saturday it's a safe assumption.

Shuttles are about $120-$175 per person and no more time efficient than a rental car.

The last option is Amtrak to LA Union Station and then the Flyaway bus to LAX. Total cost is about $50-60 per person but I don't think you will have enough time.

Disembarkation at SD can take a long time, all it takes is one non-US citizen not showing up to clear Immigration onboard. Nobody (except crew) can get off until everyone is accounted for. Also more than 1 ship arriving seems to really slow things. Both times that I arrived in SD I was "on the street" around 11am. Now, I may have been twice unlucky; just pointing out disembarkation delays can happen.

Most likely you are fine time-wise for a 315pm flight if you get to LAX by air or road. I'd plan on being off the ship around 930am. The train/bus option is too risky.

The quickest way is fly....SAN airport is 2 miles from the cruisedocks. It's the most expensive option unless it's part of a SAN-LAX-(Home) itenerary connecting through LAX.

The best bet is rental car. Allow 3-3.5 hours, accounting for pickup and return of the car. This assumes no traffic; since March 5 is Saturday it's a safe assumption. But with So Cal traffic it is still iffy. I once was in south bound bumper to bumper traffic from the San Fernando Valley to Buena Park and the north bound traffic was no better & this was on a Saturday, mid-morning with no events in the area and no accidents on the road.

Shuttles are about $120-$175 per person and no more time efficient than a rental car.

The last option is Amtrak to LA Union Station and then the Flyaway bus to LAX. Total cost is about $50-60 per person but I don't think you will have enough time. There is a 9:30 train that gets to Union Station at 12:15 or a 10:35 train and arrives at 1:15. The price is $31/person.

Disembarkation at SD can take a long time, all it takes is one non-US citizen not showing up to clear Immigration onboard. Nobody (except crew) can get off until everyone is accounted for. Also more than 1 ship arriving seems to really slow things. Both times that I arrived in SD I was "on the street" around 11am. Now, I may have been twice unlucky; just pointing out disembarkation delays can happen.

Most likely you are fine time-wise for a 315pm flight if you get to LAX by air or road. I'd plan on being off the ship around 930am. The train/bus option is too risky.

Is it possible to get a bus transfer to LAX thru Carnival? Or can you leave the following day?

Rosefloater- Good info, I agree that traffic on I-5 between Buena Park and downtown LA can be bad due to the old narrow freeway, and construction to improve it. Fortunately OP won't use that part of I-5...the route is I-405 from Irvine to LAX. Traffic is usually OK on Saturdays. Most of the congestion will be the opposite way, south of Irvine (southbound). That said, there's always the possiblity of traffic as you commented.

If OP takes the train the Flyaway buses leave Union Station on the hour and the half hour. Unless they are traveling light, it's very iffy they will make the 15-minute connection and the wait will be 45 minutes for the next bus. Add a 40 minute travel time to LAX.

Starting at SD, you will have to be off the ship by 9am at the *very* latest to make the 9:30 train. At LA Union Station, connect to the 100pm Flyaway arriving LAX around 140pm. That timing is good for their 3:15 flight. The next train gets OP to LAX around 240...depending on the airline and terminal it may be too late (and will be 3 stressful hours getting there).

Bottom line, there aren't any perfect options because a 3:15 flight makes for a tight schedule. But I'd place my bets on driving versus being off the ship by 9am. Again, from my personal experience I would have missed the 10:35 train both times I disembarked at SD. Last May we docked at 630am...I ran 2 blocks to the Amtrak depot and got on the 10:55 because it was delayed 30 minutes.

Flying would be best. If you won't fly then rent a car. To make it you will need to be off the boat quick. Take a cab to rental office. It is 2.5 to 3 or more hour drive depending on traffic. Car return can take time as they are off site and you will need to shuttle back to airport. You should be to LAX two hours early because it can really take that long. You will probably make it but there is a very possible chance you will miss the flight.

I would call the airline and see if it is possible to change your ticket for a change fee to San Diego, Carlsbad or even Orange County.

We are arriving in San Diego on the Oosterdam on March 5 and need to get a flight from LAX at 3:15PM that afternoon. The ship docks at 7:00AM but I assume we won't be off for another hour or two after that.

Any suggestions for the quickest/most cost efficient way to get from the San Diego port to LAX?

It is incredibly expensive to fly from San Diego to LAX (or reverse) unless it is part of a longer flight. We are talking $400-600 ONE WAY!!

I would recommend you change your flight time to later in the day, or plan on staying overnight in either LA or San Diego and go the next day via rental car. It can take only one wreck or construction project to make you miss a flight like this. In addition, since I assume you will be taking an international flight, check-in prior to boarding in LAX for these flights is 3 hours ahead (ie, 12:15PM). There is no way you are going to make this regardless of how you travel.

It is common to not be off the ship in San Diego until 10:30 or even later due to the common immigration problems in that port.

I see a United flight for $100 pp, perhaps a bit more than a rental car, but you would be assured of getting there.

I'd do the flight or the rental car, just make sure you pre-arrange the rental and that they have a shuttle to pick you up from port. There are a lot of rental agencies in SD. A rental car will cost you around $115 plus fuel...or more!

Whatever you choose, I have to agree with those who are stating that you are cutting it real close. I have also disembarked in SD and it was one of the latest disembarkations we've ever done. I think we were in the third group to disembark and we weren't off until around 10am.

Well, with 20/20 hindsight it would have been better to look into this before you booked your LAX flight, but I do realize that changing flight times or locations can involve not only a change-fee but increased fares. On the bright side, it's a Saturday, so less traffic.

I think it's only the off-airport rental car locations that have free pick-up, and I don't know if you can pre-arrange that (they don't want their driver sitting around), or how guaranteed it is if lots of others also want a ride (i.e., too many for one van). You should find the exact rental location you'd use and phone them. Otherwise, just take a taxi to get your car.

I debarked the Oosterdam 1/15 (a Saturday). Had a reservation with Avis at their downtown SD location (S. Kettner). Had been told to call them when I had my bags and on the customs line. They sent the van to pick us up in about 15 minutes and we were on the road in about another twenty minutes. We were scheduled to fly next day, but hotel was right by LAX and we were there around 12:30. If you're off by 10:30, you should be OK, but you're not going to have tons of leeway.

Richard

Rent a one way car between San Diego airport and LAX. Take a taxi to airport, get the car drive to cruise ship to pick up luggage and others and be on your way. Don't stop for lunch on the way no matter if you think your on schedule. Anything can go wrong on the trip up. There is a broader check station that might be open and cause a minimum of 30 min delay.

I have spent 3 hours driving to San Diego from Laguna Niguel that is 50 miles south of LAX. Twice on a week end I gave up going to San Diego because there was up to five delays.

Just got home from San Diego--took two hours in Friday night traffic, starting in La Jolla, ending Long Beach.

A rental car will be the cheapest and it shouldn't take more than 3 hours unless there is a dire problem--like rain.

I see a United flight for $100 pp, perhaps a bit more than a rental car, but you would be assured of getting there.

I think the United flight at that rate is from Carlsbad, not San Diego, so there would be the added time to get to the other airport. The nonstops from SD to LAX on United are $337. But flight time is 45 mins. There are flights at 11:20, 12:10, and 1:17. Seems like they'd be makable and would get the OP to LAX in time. There's still dealing with baggage at LAX and getting from one terminal to the other.

SAN airport is 2 miles / 5 minutes from the cruise docks. Take a cab; be sure to tip generously since the trip is so short. You have an interesting problem most do not have...how to kill time between disembarkation and your flight!

SD is one of the world's most convenient cruise ports; the Amtrak depot is 2 blocks from the dock. It's a scenic 90 minute trip from home down to SD, then a 10 minute walk to the ship!

Did you drive from San Diego, return your car and then get to your hotel by 12:30?

That is what the OP essentially needs to do. In my first post I missed that they were going to an international destination so they should be at the airport 3 hours ahead of time, 12:15. They also need to return the car and get the shuttle back to the airport. If they get off at 10:30 per your times they should be on the road maybe at 11 and at best in the LAX area by 1, return car and get shuttle, maybe 1:30. This is certainly cutting it close but they may make it.

The reality is that it is unlikely to get all the way from down town San Diego to LAX without any incident or traffic but it can be done in 2 hours if there are no problems.

I think the important thing about this thread is that if anyone is looking at doing this, they should not book a flight so early out of LAX if they are coming in to San Diego. We may not be able to help the OP.

If the OP does not change their flights or fly to LAX they may or may not make it.

Jen in SoCal

I debarked the Oosterdam 1/15 (a Saturday). Had a reservation with Avis at their downtown SD location (S. Kettner). Had been told to call them when I had my bags and on the customs line. They sent the van to pick us up in about 15 minutes and we were on the road in about another twenty minutes. We were scheduled to fly next day, but hotel was right by LAX and we were there around 12:30. If you're off by 10:30, you should be OK, but you're not going to have tons of leeway.

Richard

I don't explicity see that OP is catching an international flight out of LAX. But everyone felt it was tight via rental car (assumption of a domestic flight). Agree w/ Jen1000 it's very, very, iffy for an international flight if OP drives...even flying from SAN-LAX will be risky.

But, OP seems to have vanished.

Did you drive from San Diego, return your car and then get to your hotel by 12:30?

That is what the OP essentially needs to do. In my first post I missed that they were going to an international destination so they should be at the airport 3 hours ahead of time, 12:15. They also need to return the car and get the shuttle back to the airport. If they get off at 10:30 per your times they should be on the road maybe at 11 and at best in the LAX area by 1, return car and get shuttle, maybe 1:30. This is certainly cutting it close but they may make it.

The reality is that it is unlikely to get all the way from down town San Diego to LAX without any incident or traffic but it can be done in 2 hours if there are no problems.

I think the important thing about this thread is that if anyone is looking at doing this, they should not book a flight so early out of LAX if they are coming in to San Diego. We may not be able to help the OP.

If the OP does not change their flights or fly to LAX they may or may not make it.

Jen in SoCal

We were at he hotel at 12:30. Kept car until the next day. Don't forget, we were driving up on a Saturday. Closer than I would want to make it if it were me. We were originally looking at doing it for a 3:15 domestic and ended up deciding to stay over.

Richard

karenam- Here's a photo of the cruise dockarea. This is from the Oosterdam; the building at the right of center with the two white bell towers is the Amtrak depot. If you have rolling luggage that you can handle yourself it's a 10 minute easy walk and faster than a cab.

See post #6 in this thread...from the time you step off the ship to arriving at the LAX terminal on the Flyaway bus allow 4.5h minimum.

740364734_SanDiegosmall.jpg.9e2820f75562c1b439a281e4a4a95c63.jpg

Archived