Anyone ever rolled a Large suitcase on to the ship when boarding??:)

dixie54

Only on pre-inaugural cruises that didn't offer porter services. It is a HUGE pain in the rear to drag a big bag through security, and I'm not sure that all ports have scanners large enough to accommodate a big bag for x-ray. Then you have to drag it up the ramp to board, which again, depending on the ship, can be quite a haul. And finally, if your room isn't ready yet and they have the fire doors closed, you are stuck dealing with a large bag while trying to eat lunch or tour the ship.

That was my long way of saying it's not a choice I would ever make. ;)

We tried it once, but they turned us away since the suitcase would not fit thru the scanner.

Normally I put everything I will need for Day 1 in a carry on or backpack. I learned this on my very 1st cruise when my luggage did not arrive until after dinner...(not on RCI,btw)

I like to bring our carry-on in order to have access to bathing suits and the opportunity to unpack my toiletry kits while waiting for the bags to show up. I think a change of clothing is a good idea as one time we did not receive our luggage until after 8:00 pm. This was the time we were able to board at 11:30 AM. :rolleyes:

I agree with the others about the size of the bag. Just this past Oct., while embarking in Miami, one of the RC employees at the door kept insisting our bag was too large (15" size). He kept saying that we were going to have to bring it back to the porters as it was too large. My DH finally told him that we would just take our chances. We have carried this bag on at least a half dozen times. As long as it fits the scanner you are good to go.

Sheal

I would love to get unpacked quickly and hate having to wait for my luggage to arrive! I am always so ready to get that behind me and start playing!

Just wondering>>>

My question is why would you want to lug a big suitcase around until your room is ready:confused:

last Oct on Oasis buy time we made our way to room found our bags on floor near our room so just grabbed them and away we went:D

Having mega luggage as carryons is a real PITA. When I traveled with my mother we had a large oxygen concentrator, a suitcase full of oxygen cylinders, a portable oxygen machine, a wheelchair, and two smaller carryons. By the time I got all that to the cabin, I couldn't have cared less when the checked luggage arrived!

I have carried on a 24 inch tall suitcase many times with no problems. The scanner is not the same size as airport scanners. The airport has to make sure your carry on will fit in the overhead bin-not a problem when cruising. We've carried on 21 inch and 24 inch but that is the largest. I wouldn't try anything any larger but lots of folks do. I don't see any difference in rolling a 21 inch or 24 inch.

This is just my experience and of course I haven't cruised from every port.

A duffle bag should fit and still have plenty of room for clothes. I have a rolling one that is about 15" in diameter and 34" long. It holds plenty and will fit through the scanners. It's usually the width of the suitcase that causes problems with the scanner.

We have carried on several times. Not a humongous bag, but probably a 26"-28" one. The porters tried to get me to hand it over to them and were actually quite rude about it. My bag fit fine and it wasn't a big deal to wheel it straight up to our cabin. Be aware that the cabins most likely won't be ready until 1pm, so plan your arrrival accordingly, and you may have to lug your suitcase up stairs since the elevators can be a PITA during embarkation.

I plan on carrying on for our upcoming 4-nighter, which should be a breeze.

A duffle bag should fit and still have plenty of room for clothes. I have a rolling one that is about 15" in diameter and 34" long. It holds plenty and will fit through the scanners. It's usually the width of the suitcase that causes problems with the scanner.

Agreed. It's the width, not the length that matters!

I found this information that I knew I had somewhere:

maximum size of carry on-24 wide, 16 high, 30 long

I forget where I got this from.

I make sure I don't stuff the outside pockets of my 24 in. suitcase so that it will pass the height requirement.

I'm not sure that the 30" length is correct or perhaps it only applies to certain ports. I know my 34" long duffle went through fine in Vancouver and in San Juan. I might have brought it through Galveston too, but I can't remember. There was a golf bag with clubs going through the scanner at Port Everglades, but that was on a HAL cruise. I'm not sure what the exact length is for a golf bag with clubs, but I think it was longer than 30".

The 24" wide seems about right but I was thinking the scanner was 18" high. It's probably better to stick with 16" to be safe.

Maybe my thinking is wrong but if a bag is really long but will fit width and height does it matter how long it is? As the bag slides through all of it will get x-rayed right?

But again I wouldn't even attempt to carry on a bag that large. I thought my 24 inch suitcase was perfect-not too large to roll around and I got all my clothes for a 9 day cruise in there.

I like to bring our carry-on in order to have access to bathing suits and the opportunity to unpack my toiletry kits while waiting for the bags to show up. I think a change of clothing is a good idea as one time we did not receive our luggage until after 8:00 pm. This was the time we were able to board at 11:30 AM. :rolleyes:

I agree with the others about the size of the bag. Just this past Oct., while embarking in Miami, one of the RC employees at the door kept insisting our bag was too large (15" size). He kept saying that we were going to have to bring it back to the porters as it was too large. My DH finally told him that we would just take our chances. We have carried this bag on at least a half dozen times. As long as it fits the scanner you are good to go.

Sheal

I have my own little theory about that. We prefer to board later in the day, after all the lines have died down, typically checking in around 2-2:30 pm. Our luggage sometimes beats us to the cabin, we usually have it within an hour of boarding. My theory is that our bags are on the top of the heap and the early boarders bags are at the bottom of the heap.

We aren't that anxious to get onboard, we know we'll be on for days and missing one buffet meal is not a big deal for us. Usually there is food there if we are hungry, sometimes we stop and eat on our way to port, or do some sightseeing if we are out of town.

Yes in Galveston we have!!!!

But last week in Port Canaveral

with late arrival,

because of late airline arrivals with storms and tornados,

we were stopped, and forced to release a large suite case.

Explanation..... it was too large to go thru walk on scanner!

Case was locked and we had nothing to worry about.

So we released it !

It was at room after muster!!

Archived