Not sure what to do...

PK34

We are in an AB suite on the 3/6/11 Pearl. We will be thrilled with the stateroom no matter what:) However, when we booked we were told that courtyard privileges were included. We have since found out that is not correct.

Well after booking, we transfered the booking to a TA to help a friend who will get credit for the booking. Ummm, not the brightest of moves since we have now booked and made final payment thru the TA. I now realize that it would have been smarter to keep the booking directly thru NCL so I can call them directly. Deep breath and smiles:) We'll have an awesome cruise no matter what!!!

My dilemma, there are MANY suites above our category available for booking. They all include courtyard access. I have talked to the agent and they are really not interested in helping me upgrade to be in a stateroom that has courtyard access. They have final payment and really don't care about me anymore:(

Why oh why do I feel the need to help friends that put me in this position!!!

So, my final and most important question...is there any chance that the upsell fairy will call me directly before the cruise? They have my cell number and we will be in Miami prior to cruising and more than happy to pay for an upsell if offered. My fear is that even if an upsell is offered, it will go to the TA who will most certainly not relay the info.

Is there any time period before the cruise that would be acceptable to call the upsell desk directly? I know it is frowned upon to call them, and I wouldn't normally do it, but I'm really not happy with myself for being in this position.

Final comment....WE WILL ENJOY THIS CRUISE TO THE FULLEST:)

We are in an AB suite on the 3/6/11 Pearl. We will be thrilled with the stateroom no matter what:) However, when we booked we were told that courtyard privileges were included. We have since found out that is not correct.

Well after booking, we transfered the booking to a TA to help a friend who will get credit for the booking. Ummm, not the brightest of moves since we have now booked and made final payment thru the TA. I now realize that it would have been smarter to keep the booking directly thru NCL so I can call them directly. Deep breath and smiles:) We'll have an awesome cruise no matter what!!!

My dilemma, there are MANY suites above our category available for booking. They all include courtyard access. I have talked to the agent and they are really not interested in helping me upgrade to be in a stateroom that has courtyard access. They have final payment and really don't care about me anymore:(

Why oh why do I feel the need to help friends that put me in this position!!!

So, my final and most important question...is there any chance that the upsell fairy will call me directly before the cruise? They have my cell number and we will be in Miami prior to cruising and more than happy to pay for an upsell if offered. My fear is that even if an upsell is offered, it will go to the TA who will most certainly not relay the info.

Is there any time period before the cruise that would be acceptable to call the upsell desk directly? I know it is frowned upon to call them, and I wouldn't normally do it, but I'm really not happy with myself for being in this position.

Final comment....WE WILL ENJOY THIS CRUISE TO THE FULLEST:)

with friends like that who needs enemies.

To upgrade through the TA it is going to cost you more money, right?

The TA isn't interested in making more money?

I dont know what to tell you but I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

Bill

First, even if the upsell desk was taking inbound calls, which they generally do not, since you are booked through a TA, NCL will not spaek to you directly. And if you were to be offered an upsell through an outbound call, the offer would be made through your TA, not to you directly.

Second, I don't understand the part about your TA being unwilling to help you because they already have your money. You're not talking about a complimentary upgrade...you have to pay an additional fare for an upsell, so your agent would earn more commission. What salesperson declines the opportunity to earn more commission?

First, even if the upsell desk was taking inbound calls, which they generally do not, since you are booked through a TA, NCL will not spaek to you directly. And if you were to be offered an upsell through an outbound call, the offer would be made through your TA, not to you directly.

Second, I don't understand the part about your TA being unwilling to help you because they already have your money. You're not talking about a complimentary upgrade...you have to pay an additional fare for an upsell, so your agent would earn more commission. What salesperson declines the opportunity to earn more commission?

That's what really confuses me??? I thought I made it ABUNDANTLY clear that I would PAY the difference in category, not hoping for an upsell???

I will happily sail in my AB (which looks to be a great cabin). I guess I was holding out on to a very slim hope that NCL may deal with me directly if it were closer to the cruise.

That's what really confuses me??? I thought I made it ABUNDANTLY clear that I would PAY the difference in category, not hoping for an upsell???

I will happily sail in my AB (which looks to be a great cabin). I guess I was holding out on to a very slim hope that NCL may deal with me directly if it were closer to the cruise.

An upsell IS something you pay for...it's just that the charge is generally less than the listed price difference between the cabin categories. An upgrade is done at no additional charge. Perhaps your agent thinks you are talking about the latter.

An upsell IS something you pay for...it's just that the charge is generally less than the listed price difference between the cabin categories. An upgrade is done at no additional charge. Perhaps your agent thinks you are talking about the latter.

Not the case...we talked about it costing me $2000 more for the change in cabin. Was told that they don't do cabin changes since final payment has been made. Really, I am beyond words.

I was holding on to a slim hope that the upsell desk MIGHT talk to me once I get to Miami IF there is still anything available. It is very clear to me now that this will definitely not be the case and I will go forward with my plans to ENJOY my AB without courtyard access.

I will put no further thought in to this and call it a lesson learned! Thanks all for your input!

Have you called and said "I want to switch to cabin xxxxx, please make the change for me, here's my credit card"? If the person you speak with says anything other than "Yes!" ask for their supervisor, or ask how you can switch your booking to another TA or NCL. Not sure it can be done, but you have made your point there. I wouldn't stand for that nonsense, if you are willing to pay for the different stateroom then there should be no question.

I believe that I would tell the TA what you want, remind them that they are suppose to be working for you and if they say no, they won't do it, inform them that you will be using a different TA in the future and there will be no referrals from you in the future. Your negative comments about the TA will hurt their future business with you and your friends.

Gene

We chose to go with the AB (Emerald Suite) on the Pearl instead of choosing one with Courtyard Access. Didn't feel we needed it. Still had a butler and the perks. Probably my favorite cabin to date.

Thank you! That's what I have decided to focus on:)

Hopefully you do know the actual cabin is identical. And, other than courtyard access, everything else is identical.

We have done both and courtyard is great, but hard to justify the money in most cases.

As said by someone else, if I wanted it, I would call and say, move me to cabin #xxxx (after checking ncl.com for availability) and charge it to my credit card. Let me know when it is done.

Just to help you feel better about your AB suite--as others mentioned it provides you with all the amenities for the most part except the courtyard. The AB suite is absolutely beautiful and very spacious. The balcony provides a most restful place and when you open your sliding doors outward, it is wonderful. Further, the bathroom--with that bathtub that really sits right in the window so you can just float out on the sea--there are just os many wonderful aspects of the AB that as you said--you will love it. You have a fantastic attitude.

By the way, we got the call for an upsell about a week before sailing, and it was a very good price, but we declined. I know that some people love the courtyard, but honestly, I prefer my balcony and then I like to be out and about the ship. I love finding little private spaces all over the ship--it is part of what I like about being on the ship. The courtyard is lovely, but for meals being served to the room being on the balcony or in front of the windows is really better IMO. (The courtyard is somewhat enclosed and removed, not something I like that much--again personal preference) But just think--this gives you something to look forward to on the next cruise.

I know you are okay with what has happened, but I really wanted to help you feel that perhaps you aren't settling as much as you may think. Have a great cruise as I'm sure you will. :)

Have you called and said "I want to switch to cabin xxxxx, please make the change for me, here's my credit card"? If the person you speak with says anything other than "Yes!" ask for their supervisor, or ask how you can switch your booking to another TA or NCL. Not sure it can be done, but you have made your point there. I wouldn't stand for that nonsense, if you are willing to pay for the different stateroom then there should be no question.

I totally agree! Is it the agency's policy to not pay to upgrade after final payment or just a really lazy agent? (I know I have paid to upgrade cabins on NCL right up to a week before sailing). Does your friend work for a local agency or a larger internet-based one? I would call a manager of whichever and DEMAND to be able to pay for an upgraded cabin. What your "friend" is doing is ridiculous - this is why TAs get such a bad rep, there are some that don't want to do anything to earn their money (I was a TA for years). Go over his/her head and get that "friend" out of the business...

Robin

I would call the TA and say....."Hey, I think I want to change my cabin, I'm interested in cabin number XXXXX. Please let me know what the price difference is for this new cabin."

Maybe they are thinking you want a free upgrade and that's why you're getting the brush off.

Thanks everyone for your replies. At this point I'm thinking even if I was offered an upsell it probably isn't worth the money (use it towards specialty restaurants and excursions)!

I have talked to my friend and found out more what is going on. She does group sales for NCL and I booked this cruise late after all group inventory had been given back to NCL. So she asked another agency that she works with a lot to handle the booking for her (they are located out of state and I have no clue who they are). They are paying for my standard gratuities as she couldn't find any OBC offers. She said she would be happy to facilitate the upgrade, as the agency is just really running it on their books to give me a little break in price.

However, after all the comments from you wise and wonderful bunch, I am going to be thrilled to stay right where I am.

THANK YOU ALL!!! I was really frustrated for a bit until my friend explained the situation better and I appreciate your advice and info!

Archived