questions about British Airways

daffodiliaz

Purchased tickets last night on BA. Two questions:

1. When looking at the WT seatmap to buy seats, The last 3 rows on the 747 have 2 seats on each side of a single aisle. These seats are called "twin" and cost more to prereserve. Are they bigger seats or "worth" more because there's just 2 seats together? They are back in the planes tail. Do they have windows?

2. Do 747s board from just one door, or two? (Heathrow and Phoenix airports, if this helps.)

Thanks. I'd ask on the FlyerTalk boards but they are so overwhelming.

Row 51 and 52 are ok seats, but cant remember if they have window next to them or not, I suspect they do.

As they are located where the body of the plane starts to narrow there is no room for 3 seats on each side. Therefore 1 seat is taken out but this actually means you get a bit more space per person.

I'm not sure why they would cost more to prebook than others but it might be they have more leg room and may even be classed as 'emergency exit' seats due to their close proximity to the rear doors.

Row 53 is not quite so good as they are directly next to the rear toilets.

In all 3 of the last rows you might get bothered by people queing for the toilets, so if you do go for one of those rows get the 'window' seat for yourself :)

I'm sure Globaliser will be along shortly to confirm/rebuff the above ;)

We flew On a BA 747 a few years ago PHX-LHR RT in row 51. Didn't cost extra then. The seats are the same size and pitch as the rest of economy, just 2 across instead of 3. There was a window at that row. We didn't have a problem with people lined up for the bathrooms but I think row 53 did. As I remember they used just one door to enter and exit the aircraft in both PHX and LHR. The only problem with those seats is that you are one of the last to deplane and therefore one of the last in line at customs.

Also check out www.seatguru.com It shows the window seats in 51-52 being good but all row 53 seats not being good. The reasons agree with the comments in this thread.

Another comment about being towards the back or front of any plane; the motion in turbulence is greater than near the wing. If you're prone to motion sickness or like a smoother ride you may want to be farther forward. In 747's there is a "fishtailing" side to side motion in turbulence.

1. When looking at the WT seatmap to buy seats, The last 3 rows on the 747 have 2 seats on each side of a single aisle. These seats are called "twin" and cost more to prereserve. Are they bigger seats or "worth" more because there's just 2 seats together? They are back in the planes tail. Do they have windows?
I didn't know that they'd been put in at a higher price, but this will be because there's just the pair rather than three, so have a higher value for couples travelling together who don't want to be sharing their row with others. The seats are no bigger than other economy seats.

There are windows, but the "window seat" will be further away from it than normal window seats because it's actually the window seat that's removed. So there's a gap between the B seat and the cabin sidewall. Unsurprisingly, 51 has the biggest gap.

You can see these seats in these three photos:-

http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-Airways/Boeing-747-436/1390786/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-Airways/Boeing-747-436/1579898/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-Airways/Boeing-747-436/1815461/L/

I have personally always avoided these seats because:-

1. This part of the aircraft moves more in turbulence - quite markedly so - so it is not restful even if you have nothing more than a bit of light chop.
  2. There's lots of crowding around this area when people queue for the toilets.
  3. You end up at the back of the queue at immigration, at airports where this matters.

2. Do 747s board from just one door, or two? (Heathrow and Phoenix airports, if this helps.)
At Heathrow, it'll be only one.

I don't know for sure about Phoenix, but a quick look at Google Maps and Bing Maps suggests that there aren't actually any facilities there for boarding through two doors anyway.

Globalizer, thanks for the pic links!

BTW, those last 3 rows, the two seats on each side of the plane are marked "twin" and cost $47 to reserve. All the other WT seats (excluding exit row) cost $30 to reserve. The additional $17 must be for the combination of that extra room on the side and no middle seat. We're going with the furthest forward in WT. Maybe BA will be generous and upgrade me for flying on my birthday? A girl can dream...

• 2 months later...

We always try to book these seats especially row 52.There is room at the side of you by the window to store hand luggage for easy access and if the people in the row in front don't use their space,there is extra room for your legs

I booked these seats one time when my husband and I were traveling together. Yes, we got meal service early on and had the extra room by the window, but it was a very noisy area as mentioned above.

We were also nearly the last people off the plane!

I wouldn't book them again.

We have 51 H/J booked Heathrow-LAX. I thought the extra charge was well worth the extra cost. According to seatguru there is extra space to put stuff during the flight beside the window seat.

We fly with noise-cancelling headphones, so it now makes no difference to us if the nearby area is noisy. It's amazing the difference in comfort level with those headphones on. I swear my blood pressure is down 15 points wearing them. :D

If the flight is the last leg (like ours), then being off last isn't a big deal. At LAX it's actually an advantage: the luggage will be ready at the baggage claim area by the time we get down there!!

They may cost more to reserve, just because more people like the idea of 2-across seating (so they can get higher rates), but I doubt they cost more to "preserve," unless they're made from different materials :)

I don't know for sure about Phoenix, but a quick look at Google Maps and Bing Maps suggests that there aren't actually any facilities there for boarding through two doors anyway.

One door at PHX. BA has very limited facilities in Terminal 4. The lounge is small but well stocked. Terminal 4 security is often a nightmare, particularly at the time the BA flight leaves.

• 2 weeks later...
Globalizer, thanks for the pic links!

BTW, those last 3 rows, the two seats on each side of the plane are marked "twin" and cost $47 to reserve. All the other WT seats (excluding exit row) cost $30 to reserve. The additional $17 must be for the combination of that extra room on the side and no middle seat. We're going with the furthest forward in WT. Maybe BA will be generous and upgrade me for flying on my birthday? A girl can dream...

$47.00 per booking or per person?

Ricky

Archived