Quick question about disembarkation day

kelkel2

I have never cruised with Princess before, only Carnival. My husband and I have booked the post cruise airport transfer, as we realized on our last cruise that this was a great and easy way to get to the airport without tracking down a taxi.

On Carnival we booked the the airport transfer and we were told not to put our luggage out that night, and that we were to carry it off with us. I actually preferred this, as we were allowed to disembark with the "VIP" people and were the first off the ship and didn't have to search for our luggage later.

Does anyone know if this is similar on Princess if you book the airport transfer through them?

I have never cruised with Princess before, only Carnival. My husband and I have booked the post cruise airport transfer, as we realized on our last cruise that this was a great and easy way to get to the airport without tracking down a taxi.

On Carnival we booked the the airport transfer and we were told not to put our luggage out that night, and that we were to carry it off with us. I actually preferred this, as we were allowed to disembark with the "VIP" people and were the first off the ship and didn't have to search for our luggage later.

Does anyone know if this is similar on Princess if you book the airport transfer through them?

The only time you don't put your luggage out is if you are doing your own early disembarkation. Airport transfer people still need to put their luggage out the night before. In case you are going to FLL airport, you don't want a Princess transfer anyway.

Usually, on both Princess and Carnival, you debark with the regular groups and put out your luggage the night before if you are using Cruiseline transfers.

IF you do self-disembark, you keep it and carry it all off first thing in the morning.

You must have had an unusually early transfer, as most often, the first bus transfers debark AFTER the self-disembark group.

Yes, cancel the tranfer.

Just outside the terminal will be a line of taxis. The airport is literally a 10 minute drive. If you can carry off your own luggage, and want to self disembark, it's possible to be at the airport by 7:30. If you're not in a hurry, still take a taxi. It's less than the bus I think.

My flight is a 12:45 flight. You don't think I will have any problems if I don't self disembark making it to FLL and getting through security? I honestly have no idea how long it will take to get off the ship and get our luggage, get through customs etc. Don't want to miss our flight!

My flight is a 12:45 flight. You don't think I will have any problems if I don't self disembark making it to FLL and getting through security? I honestly have no idea how long it will take to get off the ship and get our luggage, get through customs etc. Don't want to miss our flight!

Even it you're the last group off you will still have more than enough to make a 12:45 flight.

Absolutely cancel the transfer! Why? Because if you do self-disembarkation, you'd be getting off before all the other people taking transfers. This means you'd be sitting on the bus for about an hour or more waiting for it to fill up.

Take a taxi or hop into a group mini-van shuttle (no reservations needed) that is going to the airport. We've done it both ways many times and it's so much easier, cheaper and faster.

Heck, depending on your airline, you can do EZ Check for $20/pp. If your airline qualifies, Princess will print your boarding pass and airline luggage tags, and deliver them to your cabin. You put out your luggage the night before, with the airline tags, and when you get to the airport, just have to go through Security. You won't see your luggage until your final destination. IMHO, well worth the $.

Heck, depending on your airline, you can do EZ Check for $20/pp. If your airline qualifies, Princess will print your boarding pass and airline luggage tags, and deliver them to your cabin. You put out your luggage the night before, with the airline tags, and when you get to the airport, just have to go through Security. You won't see your luggage until your final destination. IMHO, well worth the $.

Agree. We have used EZ Check numerous times including Fort Lauderdale with great success. Also if my memory serves me right, it is $20 for 2 bags not per traveler. Wife & I, 2 bags total $20, Wife & I 3/4 bags total $40

How do I go about doing this?

So let me make sure I undestand, they get my luggage from outside my room and get it to the airport and on the plane for me?

You will receive a flyer in your cabin a few days before the cruise ends. All flights must depart after 11:30 AM (which of course yours does) and your airlines has to be part of the program. The participating airlines from FLL are:

Air Canada

Air Tran

American

Delta

Jet Blue

Northwest

Continental

US Air

Also in this program is United, but with Miami departures only.

Just wanted to add a caution about taking a taxi from the Ft. Lauderdale port. I was there in November on a Crown Princess cruise, and disembarked later in the day around 10:30 or 11 am because my flight wasn't until the afternoon. There was a HUGE line for taxis and it took a LONG time to get one. It turns out that Oasis of the Seas had returned on the same day so their 6000 or so passengers were there along with our 2500-3000 passengers and it was a mess. You might do better if you get off the ship early before the big crowds, but you might want to check what other ships might be disembarking the same day.

Just wanted to add a caution about taking a taxi from the Ft. Lauderdale port. I was there in November on a Crown Princess cruise, and disembarked later in the day around 10:30 or 11 am because my flight wasn't until the afternoon. There was a HUGE line for taxis and it took a LONG time to get one. It turns out that Oasis of the Seas had returned on the same day so their 6000 or so passengers were there along with our 2500-3000 passengers and it was a mess. You might do better if you get off the ship early before the big crowds, but you might want to check what other ships might be disembarking the same day.

Since the Oasis does 7 days and the Crown is doing 7 days, looks like they will always be in port on the same day.

Thanks guys! I cancelled the transfer! After reading what you all have said it really just sounds easier to find a taxi on our own!

No need to get off the ship early. You cannot check luggage at FLL until 2 or 3 hours before flight time (depending on airline), so getting off at 7:30 carrying your own luggage off to be at the airport before 8:30 for a 12:15 flight is not an option worth doing.

If you ask for a disembarkation time assignment for about 9 AM, you will be fine.

It is a $13.00 taxi ride to the fort lauderdale airport from the cruise ship terminal. There will be dozens and dozens of taxi coming and going. It will take you about 10 to 15 minutes for your turn with the taxi. Takes you write to sidewalk check in at the air port. Enjoy your cruise.

If I call Princess and request an earlier disembarkation time will they grant those types of requests? I was hoping to be off the ship and at the airport by 10:30

Calling Princess doesn't do a thing. When you're on board and you get your disembarkation assignment, if you need to change it just go to the purser's desk. You will get a questionairre to fill out asking your airline/flight number and will receive appropriate tags and a time schedule in your cabin. If you don't like the time, just request an earlier time. Nothing is done in advance, so calling Princess has no bearing on disembarkation.

Archived