Virgin Upper Class.....opinions?

Darcy15

Hello

I have a once in a lifetime cruise booked for October- Sapphire Princess, roundtrip LA to Tahiti.:D:D

As the cruise is costing a ridiculous amount of money already ( travelling alone, so get to pay twice:rolleyes:) I thought I would really do it in style and fly business for the first time in my life. Princess have quoted me for BA and Virgin. My preference would be for Virgin - really can't be doing with BA and their strikes.

Anyone flown Virgin Upper Class? It looks great from the website, but was just wondering what peoples experiences have been.

Thanks for any thoughts

Hello

I have a once in a lifetime cruise booked for October- Sapphire Princess, roundtrip LA to Tahiti.:D:D

As the cruise is costing a ridiculous amount of money already ( travelling alone, so get to pay twice:rolleyes:) I thought I would really do it in style and fly business for the first time in my life. Princess have quoted me for BA and Virgin. My preference would be for Virgin - really can't be doing with BA and their strikes.

Anyone flown Virgin Upper Class? It looks great from the website, but was just wondering what peoples experiences have been.

Thanks for any thoughts

I have flown several times in Upper Class and have to say it is wonderful. Your seat is a sort of pod with a comfortable seat, a separate ottoman, an oversize table, TV screen. The seat shifts to a completely flat bed which the flight attendant will make up with sheets and a duvet. You are even given a "sleep suit" if you wish to change from your clothes. There are only three seats across the cabin so you have plenty of room. Food is better than on most airlines. If you're flying through Heathrow and have a layover you can go to the Upper Class lounge where you can get a hot meal and you can even get a pedicure or other salon treatment at no charge (one treatment per passenger). If you can afford it, I would highly recommend it.

Hello

Thanks for any thoughts

A good website to see what seating is like on any airline is http://www.seatguru.com. It will tell you where the good seats are and give a description about them and the service you get in that cabin. You can also get reviews from other pax.

I haven't flown Virgin Business Class but I have flown BA several times. It's the "pod" as described and very private. If you do book this type of class, make sure you are in the last row of the section. The reason being that this is the only row where if you're at the window, you have room to get past the aisle seat's pod if you need to go to the bathroom or get up during the flight. Otherwise, if you're at the window, you have to disturb your neighbor or if you are on the aisle, they will disturb you.

Just a little more information - I think Pam might be a little confused between BA business class and Virgin Upper Class.

BA still have both business class (Club World) and First Class. In Business class there are eight seats across the plane and if you have a window or a centre seat you have to step over your neighbour. BA first class (new cabin arrangement) is four seats across all with direct aisle access.

Virgin Upper Class is more comparable to BA first class. All seats have direct access to the aisle and are set at an angle. There is a bar at the back of the cabin downstairs (some planes also have Upper Class cabins upstairs) so unless you want to sit directly across from the bar I wouldn't advise the last two rows for a night flight. G.

Just a little more information - I think Pam might be a little confused between BA business class and Virgin Upper Class.

BA still have both business class (Club World) and First Class. In Business class there are eight seats across the plane and if you have a window or a centre seat you have to step over your neighbour. BA first class (new cabin arrangement) is four seats across all with direct aisle access.

Virgin Upper Class is more comparable to BA first class. All seats have direct access to the aisle and are set at an angle. There is a bar at the back of the cabin downstairs (some planes also have Upper Class cabins upstairs) so unless you want to sit directly across from the bar I wouldn't advise the last two rows for a night flight. G.

Pam is not confused, she is absolutely correct. The last window seats - per section- in the rows of club world (upper deck on the 747 included) allow

direct aisle access. Club World is BA's biz. class - which I am flying in a couple of hours - on my way to the Sapphire Princess.

One slight warning.

You say this is a once in a lifetime cruise and it may be. However cruising is the best legal high you can get. And most end up going again and again.

I really really hope you love your once in a lifetime cruise and hope to see you on your next cruise after that!

Enjoy.

Matthew

I think the BA confusion is coming from different plane configurations. If you can, get the center "pod" so you don't have to climb over your seat mate. This is true on a lot of bus. class flights with 6 seats across, AA for one. In other words, do not get the window seat in the pod set that is next to the window on most planes, as you will have to crawl over the person who is sleeping next to you.

OP, believe me, flying bus. class is a fantastic way to start your vacation. Do it! You'll never sit in that seat and think, "I wish I just went coach instead." ;)

Added: Try flyertalk.com for some very thorough information on both airlines' bus. class services, then make your decision. They've really helped me over the years.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I phoned Princess today and have booked with Virgin:D

Can't choose seat just yet, need to phone again nearer departure to do that- but will remember all the advice about choosing.

Truly sad I know, but I have started packing a few bits and pieces already!!

:D:D

Archived