Giovanni's olive oil?

cw2go

I loved Giovanni's and while there they served bread with olive oil. It was more scrumptious than normal because they added a special sauce. I asked about it and the waitress explained it as a cooked down wine. It had a sweet tang and for the life of me I cannot remember what it is called.

Thanks,

Patty

It could have been red wine vinegar. Both are used in Italian cooking (though RWV is used in other parts of the mediterranean as well, whereas BV is mostly associated with Italy).

Depending on the quality, they can look quite similar.

It could be that on one of your cruises, they offered one, but on the other person's cruise, if they were out of one, they may have substituted with the other (in which case you would both be right--one of you got BV, while the other got something made with wine)

It could have been red wine vinegar. Both are used in Italian cooking (though RWV is used in other parts of the mediterranean as well, whereas BV is mostly associated with Italy).

Depending on the quality, they can look quite similar.

It could be that on one of your cruises, they offered one, but on the other person's cruise, if they were out of one, they may have substituted with the other (in which case you would both be right--one of you got BV, while the other got something made with wine)

It wasn't red wine vinegar. We dined at Giovanni's a total of five times over the last two weeks and it was the BV each time. Also tasted like BV.

It wasn't red wine vinegar. We dined at Giovanni's a total of five times over the last two weeks and it was the BV each time. Also tasted like BV.

Re-read my post. I think you completely missed what I said.

It is possible that when you were on, they served BV. And it is also possible that when the other poster was on, they served something else.

Perhaps BV is what they usually choose (hence you having it so often), but the one time the other poster was there, they happened to serve somthing else, due to availablility. This happens on cruises more than most of us realize.

It was a balsamic vinegar reduction...and, yes, it was yummy. I love it.

we also asked.. and was told the same thing.. that it had been cooked down... it was wonderful.. had a sort of sweet taste

That sounds like Balsamic Glaze. It is sweet & thicker than actual Balsamic Vinegar. I have found it at Publix near the dressing/ vinegar

Thank you that is what the waitress told us it is cooked down much thicker and sweeter than typical BV but I cannot seem to find any in the grocery stores. I do not have a Publix so that is why I am trying to find out a brand name of sorts. :confused:

I have had BV many times and I know Giovanni's was a tad different. the waitress told me a specific name brand but for the life of me I cannot remember.

Maybe someone who is sailing soon will have an answer when they return..

Smiles,

patty

Well I know they did not say RWV or BV maybe she said the actual brand? But I am clearly remembering her saying it is sold with the BV and it is _______ cooked down?

Thanks,

patty

I agree with you completely. It is not BV because I too asked the waitress. I actually wrote down the name and have been looking for it since I got home. It is not red wine vinegar either. The OP knows what she is talking about....I remember the waitress describing the cooked down process as well. OP if I find out, I will let you know. Good Luck!!

I agree with you completely. It is not BV because I too asked the waitress. I actually wrote down the name and have been looking for it since I got home. It is not red wine vinegar either. The OP knows what she is talking about....I remember the waitress describing the cooked down process as well. OP if I find out, I will let you know. Good Luck!!

I was beginning to think I had lost my mind :eek: or had too many adult bevi's :D

Yahoo!!! Thank you!!!

Archived