King's Wharf area Beaches

WillieD13

I see a lot of discussion about the various south shore beaches, but no other beaches. I know there are some, because when we were there in 2000, in addition to going to Horseshoe beach, we went to one near St George. Both beaches were lovely, but in both cases we had to take public transportation to get to them, which was a bit inconvenient, plus the added expense of the bus, food, etc., compared to the private islands that Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, etc have, where all that is included in the cruise cost, and you are delivered right to the beach.

The cruise we are now considering, goes to King's Wharf. Are there any good beaches in the King's Wharf area, or will we again, have to rely on the public bus, to get us to a south shore beach?

Snorkel Park beach is right in the Dockyard grounds, but it's a man made beach that bears no resemblence to a real Bermuda beach, and at least last year they were charging an admission fee on certain days.

Yes, you will have to take public transportation or a taxi to get to a real Bermuda beach.

The only beach at the Dockyards (where King's Wharf is located) is Snorkel Park http://www.snorkelparkbeach.com/ which is a man made beach and not representative of the other beaches in Bermuda.

You will have to take the bus (or taxi) to get to the south shore beaches of which Horseshoe Bay is the most popular. Here is a Horseshoe Bay Beach YouTube video:

The ride by bus from the Dockyard to HSB is about 35 minutes. BTW, Bermuda has an excellent public transportation (bus & ferry) system.

Fortunately, Bermuda is not owned by a cruise line.

SBtS

I see a lot of discussion about the various south shore beaches, but no other beaches. I know there are some, because when we were there in 2000, in addition to going to Horseshoe beach, we went to one near St George. Both beaches were lovely, but in both cases we had to take public transportation to get to them, which was a bit inconvenient, plus the added expense of the bus, food, etc., compared to the private islands that Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, etc have, where all that is included in the cruise cost, and you are delivered right to the beach.

The cruise we are now considering, goes to King's Wharf. Are there any good beaches in the King's Wharf area, or will we again, have to rely on the public bus, to get us to a south shore beach?

The South Shore beaches are the easiest great beaches to get to from Kings Wharf. As others mentioned there is the Snorkel Park which has an admission fee and is not one of the best beaches. The beaches near St. George would also require public transportation or a taxi. The bus to Horseshoe Beach is very convenient, I can't see calling it inconvenient. And the bus is inexpensive. If you want the captured private island experience you are considering the wrong cruise! You should rethink.

The South Shore beaches are the easiest great beaches to get to from Kings Wharf. As others mentioned there is the Snorkel Park which has an admission fee and is not one of the best beaches. The beaches near St. George would also require public transportation or a taxi. The bus to Horseshoe Beach is very convenient, I can't see calling it inconvenient. And the bus is inexpensive. If you want the captured private island experience you are considering the wrong cruise! You should rethink.

Not looking for a private beach, far from it. I like public beaches, with lots of other people. Just commenting in reference to our previous trip to Bermuda. We took the public bus from Hamilton to Horseshoe Beach. The inconvenience was due to having to rely on public transportation, when you have limited time, and a tight schedule. We timed out beach stay, to catch a specific bus back to Hamilton, only to have that bus show up 10 minutes late, and they it was too full, so we couldn't get on, and had to wait another 20 minutes or so for another bus. Hopefully, the bus going to King's Wharf is not quite a full as one going to the "big city". Of course, this trip would be on NCL, so with freestyle dining, the timing would not be as critical as it was last time.

Not looking for a private beach, far from it. I like public beaches, with lots of other people. Just commenting in reference to our previous trip to Bermuda. We took the public bus from Hamilton to Horseshoe Beach. The inconvenience was due to having to rely on public transportation, when you have limited time, and a tight schedule. We timed out beach stay, to catch a specific bus back to Hamilton, only to have that bus show up 10 minutes late, and they it was too full, so we couldn't get on, and had to wait another 20 minutes or so for another bus. Hopefully, the bus going to King's Wharf is not quite a full as one going to the "big city". Of course, this trip would be on NCL, so with freestyle dining, the timing would not be as critical as it was last time.

AH-HA....that was the problem. There are special express buses at Dockyard that go to the south shore beaches so you should not be delayed.:)

Hi IHeart,

Just looking at that resort beach shot you posted. That's a joke, right? It's photoshopped or something. Has to be - nobody would pay money to be jammed up like that.

Now the bottom shot - that's a REAL beach.

And for the I.P. - we've got lots of 'em!

Just because Horseshoe's the famous one, it's not your only option. The are small beaches along South Shore where you will probably be one of only three of four people in sight.

Have Fun!

Hi IHeart,

Just looking at that resort beach shot you posted. That's a joke, right? It's photoshopped or something. Has to be - nobody would pay money to be jammed up like that.

Just because Horseshoe's the famous one, it's not your only option. The are small beaches along South Shore where you will probably be one of only three of four people in sight.

Have Fun!

No joke.....that was Roatan this past Dec. however, it was free.:p

I didn't go near it and headed to see things like this.:)

IMG_1078.jpg

No joke.....that was Roatan this past Dec. however, it was free.:p

I didn't go near it and headed to see things like this.:)

IMG_1078.jpg

I was there this past December too! I skipped the Carnival beach and went to West Bay Beach. Much better!

http://chasfotos.smugmug.com/Travel/Viking-Group-13/15125471_i6jKX#1130778893_qpjTX

• 2 weeks later...
Hi IHeart,

Have Fun!

That is really how mahogany bay looks. It is a great beach . We paid $39.00 for two people which provides a huge umbrella that covers your two chairs and you cannot see the other people. It also includes two floats . We had a great time. The crowd did not diminish the experience of the beautiful water. We did meet some interesting people in the water.

That is really how mahogany bay looks. It is a great beach . We paid $39.00 for two people which provides a huge umbrella that covers your two chairs and you cannot see the other people. It also includes two floats . We had a great time. The crowd did not diminish the experience of the beautiful water. We did meet some interesting people in the water.

You may not think Mahogany Bay is quite as great and the water quite as beautiful after you see the beaches and water in Bermuda.;) IMO, Mahogany Bay doesn't hold a candle to Bermuda.:)

There are two other beaches that are closer to King's Wharf than the South Shore beaches, but you would still need to rely on Public Transit to get you there: Somerset Long Bay and Mangrove Bay. They are nice enough, and Long Bay is much quieter than some of the South Shore beaches, but it is probably more difficult to get to since it is not directly on the bus route. Mangrove Bay is right in "downtown" Somerset Village and easy to get to, but not what I think of as the ideal Bermuda Beach experience.

Have a look here http://www.experiencebermuda.com/beaches/ for more information on the area beaches, it gives a good rundown of where they are located and what to expect once you get there.

Archived