Independance V Ventura

Bessie Dog

Now you are going to get a lot of views with a question like this.

IOS: Lots of impressive stuff, flowrider, skating rink, Royal Promenade, Big Theatre, Superb deck pools & Jacuzzis, Huge ship, high bar prices, 15% service charge on all drinks, can be hard to find somewhere to sit on cooler/wet sea days, good sized and well designed cabins, pricey excursions.

Ventura: More intimate feel despite passenger numbers not that fewer than IOS, more british style of food, good kids clubs, good value bar prices and no 15% service charge, slightly smaller cabins than IOS, smaller theatre but 3 shows per night, good range of entertainment including show bars, reasonable excursion prices.

Having experienced both, Im glad I tried both ships. However I feel we have ticked off IOS now and experienced its impressive features but for regular good value cruising I would choose Ventura.....in fact we have yet again for our spring cruise.

Now wait for the enslaught of varied views......

Now you are going to get a lot of views with a question like this.

IOS: Lots of impressive stuff, flowrider, skating rink, Royal Promenade, Big Theatre, Superb deck pools & Jacuzzis, Huge ship, high bar prices, 15% service charge on all drinks, can be hard to find somewhere to sit on cooler/wet sea days, good sized and well designed cabins, pricey excursions.

Ventura: More intimate feel despite passenger numbers not that fewer than IOS, more british style of food, good kids clubs, good value bar prices and no 15% service charge, slightly smaller cabins than IOS, smaller theatre but 3 shows per night, good range of entertainment including show bars, reasonable excursion prices.

Having experienced both, Im glad I tried both ships. However I feel we have ticked off IOS now and experienced its impressive features but for regular good value cruising I would choose Ventura.....in fact we have yet again for our spring cruise.

Now wait for the enslaught of varied views......

Have to agree with you there. Having now done IOS, i am not sure if i would go back on her. Great ship but just lacked something.

Just been reading British Travel Awards magazine. Awards determined by Times travel consumers.

Cruiseline of the year:

Gold: Royal Caribbean

Silver: P&O

Bronze: Princess

Best Mainstream Cruiseline:

Gold: P&O

Silver: Royal Caribbean

Bronze: Thomson Cruises

Best Luxury Cruiseline

Silver: Celebrity

Bronze: Cunard

Best Family Cruiseline

Bronze: Disney Cruises

Just been reading British Travel Awards magazine. Awards determined by Times travel consumers.

Cruiseline of the year:

Bronze: Princess

Best Mainstream Cruiseline:

Silver: Royal Caribbean

Bronze: Thomson Cruises

Best Luxury Cruiseline

Silver: Celebrity

Bronze: Cunard

Best Family Cruiseline

Bronze: Disney Cruises

Guess that sums up P&Os dilema. Best luxury and best mainstream = split fleet and thus RCL steals the overall best.

Interesting to hear these views. I suppose the other thing to note is that iOS suggested dress code is only really enforced in the mdr whereas Ventura reports of certain bars not allowing people in without jackets etc..

Sad but true - the "certain bars" are the Red Bar and Metropolis. P&O tends to live in the stone age as regards dress codes. THey do however, tend to follow trends set by the more progressive companies two or three years later - so expect them to come into line on this in the next couple of years.

Sad but true - the "certain bars" are the Red Bar and Metropolis. P&O tends to live in the stone age as regards dress codes. THey do however, tend to follow trends set by the more progressive companies two or three years later - so expect them to come into line on this in the next couple of years.

It's not SAD, at all, IMO.

So, 2 bars out of how many were not available to you on a few evenings?

Read the brochure.

If you don't like the dress code requirements, don't book. Simple really.

There are cruise lines who cater for those who do not wish to dress up.

Even P&O has bars, and the buffet, and the theatre, where you can dress smart casually on ALL evenings, but that, it seems, still does not please everyone.

One cruise on Ventura

Booked no more

One cruise on Independence

Booked another

And then another!

And hopefully will be booking another for summer 2012

Richard

1 cruise on independance great ship but something missing ,as they say horses for courses we don,t all like the same thing if we did we would all be on the same ship !!!

1 cruise on independance great ship but something missing ,as they say horses for courses we don,t all like the same thing if we did we would all be on the same ship !!!

Isnt it lucky that we all dont like the same ship and dislike another ship. Otherwise the price for the one we like would rocket due to demand.

Archived