Gluten Free Anyone?

Ms.Albuquerque

We are going on the Coral Princess in March to the Panama Canal. This is our first 10 day cruise and our first on Princess. We are very excited.

For health reasons, I switched to a gluten free diet several months ago and feel great! I'm wondering if I will be able to get gluten free pasta, rolls, pastry etc. I know there is a place to check to request a "gluten free" diet. We have signed up for open seating and I'm wondering if that will make a difference in getting my needs met.

We had breakfast with a woman on a gluten free diet a year or two ago on Princess. She said she had no problem. Each evening, the maitre 'd or head waiter would bring her the menues for all three meals for the next day. She would order all her meals then. She ate all meals in the MDR

When my son and his family were on Princess with open seating it didn't make a difference tho they actually made a set time to go and had the same waitstaff for the cruise. The HW or waiter will go over your choices with you.

For the buffet should you wish to go there for lunch, someone will also guide you through what is safe to choose from.

One bit of advice. Take some packaged snacks on board so you'll have food for when you are in port. Tho you may find a place here and there offering GF, it isn't a guarantee that you will.

They will make bread for you and have GF pasta.

The Love Boat Dream dessert should be available in GF. As far as anything else in sweets, I don't remember. My grandboys only wanted the Love Boat dessert. :D

I forgot to mention, there should also be a cake available that is made without flour.

You may also want to google Gluten Free on Princess Cruises where you can find some reviews.

My wife is Gluten and Wheat free and is treated so well that i am almost tempted to join her ;) Everyone is so accommodating. On one occasion we even had a full size GF birthday cake just for the two of us! The Chefs and head Waiter seem able to adapt almost every aspect of each food item or course to suit in some way, even to the point of having choices available at afternoon tea, just in case we ( or someone else ) shows up.

They will make bread for you and have GF pasta.

The Love Boat Dream dessert should be available in GF. As far as anything else in sweets, I don't remember. My grandboys only wanted the Love Boat dessert. :D

I forgot to mention, there should also be a cake available that is made without flour.

You may also want to google Gluten Free on Princess Cruises where you can find some reviews.

Okay...what is the "Love Boat" dessert? Thanks for the tip on googling "Gluten Free on Princess Cruises"...Wow! What a wealth of information...I feel confident that we will have a great cruise! THANKS!!

Hi -

I was Gluten Free on the Crown on the Jan. 15th sailing. I had an overall good experience - although trying to get a pizza was difficult! I also had to remind the guys working the burger grill area to change thier gloves if they picked up a roll and then went to go pick up my hot dog (without using tongs...which happened...)

Here's a link to my full review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1344933

My 18 year old daughter is gluten free and I filled out her profile on line and checked that under diet restrictions. They also need me to fax a letter as well. Did you guys do the same or just show up and request gluten free menus? I'm so happy to hear they accommodate for people with this need altho she may get really spoiled and expect this treatment at home. LOL!

My 18 year old daughter is gluten free and I filled out her profile on line and checked that under diet restrictions. They also need me to fax a letter as well. Did you guys do the same or just show up and request gluten free menus? I'm so happy to hear they accommodate for people with this need altho she may get really spoiled and expect this treatment at home. LOL!

We always 'tick the box' online and follow up with a fax as requested. There is then a letter in the room telling us to contact the Head waiter. Not sure what would happen if you just turned up though I expect you would be treated in pretty much the same way.

Do though consider arrangements for any shore excursions that include a meal. On most occasions there are no special arrangements made but on another the restaurant, in Rome quickly prepared a Gluten free alternative.

Okay...what is the "Love Boat" dessert? Thanks for the tip on googling "Gluten Free on Princess Cruises"...Wow! What a wealth of information...I feel confident that we will have a great cruise! THANKS!!

I'm glad that site helped.

The Love Boat Dream is a heart shaped brownie like concoction topped with chocolate mousse. It's on the "always available" side of the menu.

Some years ago the Love Boat used to be made GF but they changed the cake layer. Now you'd have to request it GF.

Hi -

I was Gluten Free on the Crown on the Jan. 15th sailing. I had an overall good experience - although trying to get a pizza was difficult! I also had to remind the guys working the burger grill area to change thier gloves if they picked up a roll and then went to go pick up my hot dog (without using tongs...which happened...)

Here's a link to my full review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1344933

I feel that when you are at the pizza place you have to be careful, especially that the pizza dough isn't just plopped down on a pan or on oven bottom that had a regular pizza on it.

Hot dogs, wow, I'd have to read the label because you never know what filler some manufacturers use.

I admit I'm pretty careful with foods, not for me but my grandboys. One could get a bit of cross contamination and maybe feel a little funny but the younger one, it would not be pretty in less than 5 minutes.

It's not really a GF menu. The HW or waiter will bring you a menu (usually the evening before) and point out what can be made GF.

Don't let the evening before selection concern you, they will be able to accommodate you the first day too.

It's not really a GF menu. The HW or waiter will bring you a menu (usually the evening before) and point out what can be made GF.

Don't let the evening before selection concern you, they will be able to accommodate you the first day too.

That is just awesome! I'm so happy she'll be able to eat "normal" with the rest of our family. She's such a tiny little thing and I'm hoping she'll gain a little on the vacation.

I'm glad that site helped.

Some years ago the Love Boat used to be made GF but they changed the cake layer. Now you'd have to request it GF.

I feel that when you are at the pizza place you have to be careful, especially that the pizza dough isn't just plopped down on a pan or on oven bottom that had a regular pizza on it.

Hot dogs, wow, I'd have to read the label because you never know what filler some manufacturers use.

I admit I'm pretty careful with foods, not for me but my grandboys. One could get a bit of cross contamination and maybe feel a little funny but the younger one, it would not be pretty in less than 5 minutes.

I'm just as careful. At the pizza place, they use a special tray for the GF dough that does not come in contact with the other pizza - or touch the oven bottom - and I had them wash it one more time in front of me just to make sure. Also, the sauce ladle touches the regular dough, so I had to ask that they go back and re-do it with fresh sauce. I also asked for a glove change. it was - by far - the most complicated GF meal I had onboard - and such a process that I only did it one time.

As for the hot dogs, I asked in advance if they would be ok. They are. If they had any filler I would have known within 15 minutes of eating one. And it would have ruined my day. I was fine.

Just ask a lot of questions and if you are not comfortable with the way something is prepared ask them to re-do it.

Also - and I can't stress this enough - advanced notice helps SO much. They day before you want to eat somewhere (specitaly, MDR) go in and pre order. It makes things SO much easier for everyone.

Also - as for the Love Boat - when I asked if I could have it, the waiter's suggestion was to scoop off the chocolate mousse part and give that to me. Um, no. I never ended up getting it on board...

NYcruiser, bummer about the Love Boat as my grandsons really enjoyed it. I knew it had been changed so my reference goes back a few years. I guess when I take the boys again, I won't feel so bad about not getting it. The younger grandboy can't have dairy now anyway so he won't be subjected to watching his brother enjoy it.

Also - and I can't stress this enough - advanced notice helps SO much. They day before you want to eat somewhere (specitaly, MDR) go in and pre order. It makes things SO much easier for everyone.

Also - as for the Love Boat - when I asked if I could have it, the waiter's suggestion was to scoop off the chocolate mousse part and give that to me. Um, no. I never ended up getting it on board...

And if 24 hours in advance you had talked to the headwaiter about having a gluten-free Love Boat Dream prepared for you, it would have been done.

And if 24 hours in advance you had talked to the headwaiter about having a gluten-free Love Boat Dream prepared for you, it would have been done.

Interesting...I talked to the head waiter every night of my cruise the requitiste 24 hours in advance to choose my menu for the next day and was never told it was possible...I was always directed to other desserts as my option for that course.

Hmmm.....

Edited to add: the nights I dined in the Crown Grill and Sabatini's I went in person the day before our reservations and spoke to them as well the suggested 24 hours in advance....

Archived