Is the Epic really a "Titanic Flop"

Cupcrazy

I remember after reading Frommer's article a few months ago. As someone else mentioned, he's 80. I can see an 80 year old thinking that something like the Epic being too big, with too many options, too loud, etc.

Anything short of a yacht with 50 people and 50 crew probably wouldn't interest him.

Frommer hates all large ships. He wrote an equally scathing review of the Oasis when it arrived. He is an old grump and coasting on his name.

That is what I took away from the article too. His preference is smaller ships with less "frills." The disconnect from the sea (which is common with these larger ships) is another of his complaints. Maybe he didn't have a balcony to retreat to for quiet times.

I like NCL because there is so much to do, but part of that is being able to decompress when you want to, too. To people who have sailed on the Epic, could you find peace and quiet (without having to pay extra - spa passes)?

This is the first review I've read that makes this point, which seems odd since vie read lots of epic reviews.

Just got off yesterday (sniff, sniff :(). On our last sea day I walked around quite a bit taking pictures and while I wasn't looking for a quiet place I remembered that others had posted that there were absolutely no such places on board, I did not find that to be true! There were places on the upper sun decks and inside such as Bliss or La Cuchina. I didn't note a lot of specific areas because that was not what I was looking for but rest assured there are quiet places available on the Epic you just need to look around a bit. :)

Sorry OP, but honest to goodness there seems to be a half dozen of these posts per week, with some "haters" chiming in because prefer something that the Epic choose not to include, with others having a marvelous time.

We had a wonderful time on the Epic. All 11 of us who have gone cumulatively on dozens and dozens of cruises. Maybe it's not for some people, but good grief. Oh no! No "dedicated" library! No coffee table!

There are movie critics that HATED Avatar, The Godfather, Gone with the Wind (insert name of favorite movie here). Go have a great time. It's a wonderful ship.

I don't think the Epic is for everyone and that's ok. I don't go cruising to sit in a library. If that was a must then I'd make sure the ship I booked had one. As far as finding places to read there were many spots for that. Outside all around the deck were cushioned deep chairs perfect for reading and relaxing. There were plenty of spots beside the cigar lounge, and no smoking either, that were perfect for sitting and reading. My balcony was always peaceful for reading if I chose. We booked the Epic because I read it was like Las Vegas on water. We loved it. There wasn't a day that went by that we were bored. Can't say the same for the Dawn. By the 5th day I was ready to leave. There is a nice library on the Dawn for those that chose that type of vacation. I loved the Epic and can't wait to go back on another cruise on her.

I don't think the Epic is for everyone and that's ok. I don't go cruising to sit in a library. If that was a must then I'd make sure the ship I booked had one. As far as finding places to read there were many spots for that. Outside all around the deck were cushioned deep chairs perfect for reading and relaxing. There were plenty of spots beside the cigar lounge, and no smoking either, that were perfect for sitting and reading. My balcony was always peaceful for reading if I chose. We booked the Epic because I read it was like Las Vegas on water. We loved it. There wasn't a day that went by that we were bored. Can't say the same for the Dawn. By the 5th day I was ready to leave. There is a nice library on the Dawn for those that chose that type of vacation. I loved the Epic and can't wait to go back on another cruise on her.

can I get an amen? Some people are booking twice just because they didn't have enough time to do all the things they wanted. By the way, I like Vegas. Even more, I like Vegas on the ocean that visits incredible ports.

That is what I took away from the article too. His preference is smaller ships with less "frills." The disconnect from the sea (which is common with these larger ships) is another of his complaints. Maybe he didn't have a balcony to retreat to for quiet times.

As a reviewer, he is sailing for free so maybe he just laments the fees for various things, as an old miser would. You know, folks on the HAL boards like to call HAL a premium line but when we sailed it, it was just a bunch of old people trying not to spend a nickel.

I think this is the second or third thread that has referenced this article. Frommer is happy if he can have his cup of bouillon on the promenade deck while sitting in a teak deck chair. Otherwise he hates newer and larger ships.

Personally I don't believe Epic is a Titanic Flop. It was fun week but Epic isn't for me. I didn't care for the cabins, the traffic flow and the pool deck but I still had a great time and enjoyed the restaurants and entertainment but I have no intention of sailing her again.

I am really looking forward to the new NCL newbuilds. Hopefully they will take what is right with Epic and merge it with the Jewel class ships and come up with a dang good ship.

Take care,

Mike

Trying to sell papers.

We enjoyed the Epic greatly, and can't wait for the opportunity to sail her again....

I'm sure there are concepts on the ship that NCL will do differently on the next class of ships that are being planned.....but that's not the first time a cruise line has changed things....

I remember telling my 90 year old accountant that I was sailing on NCL, my first trip. The Star when she was doing the Hawaii, including Fanning Island.

He said, "ICK! I hate Norwegian. It's that stupid Freestyle Cruising!"

I did some probing and discovered he was a HAL fan, loved the fixed dining time and table, no tempting upcharge restaurants, etc.

I soon discovered, that is exactly what I love about NCL! I will miss the Star when she moves East. I hope there is still a Pacific Coastal and maybe some Alaska to choose from. Someday I would love to try Epic, it's just harder to get to MIA.

Someone wise once said, if you want to be successful, welcome success wherever you see it. Encourage success! Hope for success!

I hope the Epic is very successful! I have read enough enthusiastic reviews here to feel encouraged! She may not be for everyone, but what ship is?

You go, girl!

Frommer has a cameo in the movie EuroTrip.....when you see him (and his 'manner'), you'll understand why he doesn't like the EPIC.

it was really no surprise.

I sorta hate to admit I thought that movie was funny..well..sometimes funny :)

This is Arthur Frommer. If you lean towards Mr. Frommer's style and taste, it's quite likely you may not enjoy your cruise. I doubt he would enjoy the water slides, the Blue Man Group, the jazz club, Howl at the Moon, etc. As stated before, a lounge chair under an umbrella on a teak deck (with a blanket over his legs..or even still in his suit and tie) is more likely how he rolls. Nothing against the man. Everyone is entitled to their likes and dislikes. This just isn't me.

Is it you?

3379051122_2032fc9662.jpg

Just read this article by Arthur Frommer entitled "Norwegian Epic is a Titanic Flop". Is the Epic really that bad?

http://www.thestar.com/travel/cruising/article/837902--norwegian-epic-is-a-titanic-flop

Before you believe everything you read in a travel book remember, that is the opinion of one person and we all have opinions. It is like reading an editorial in your local paper, what the columnist writes doesn't make it true. It's is like here, we are giving our opinions in most cases. Before judging from what one person wrote or a few wrote, read all the reviews. I haven't sailed the ship, maybe never will cause I am not overly turned on by floating cities, but many who have sailed her, give her great reviews. To be honest I put more into what is being written on Cc and similar forums than what professional writers sometimes have to say. They can be just as biased as anyone else.

Nita

I haven't sailed Epic, so I'm not sure what my opinion is worth.....but here goes anyhow.

This is why I have no interest in sailing these huge ships that are coming out like the Epic, Dream, and Oasis. I know what kind of cruise experience I prefer, which is the more quiet type. I don't want to feel like I'm on a floating Mall of America mixed with Six Flags; I want the experience of feeling like I'm at sea on ship.

Anyone who can read can clearly see that these are what these type of ships are being marketed as. If you don't do your homework first, then I can't feel sorry for you when you whine about having that type of experience.

I agree with you. I see you are from Iowa. I lived in Iowa (Quad Cities) until I was 26. Where in Iowa? My daughter went to college in Orange City which is near Sioux City.

Here is my favorite line from Mr. Frommer's piece:

"It may be that the Norwegian Epic on a normal cruise will turn into a peaceful haven of quiet and repose. But I don’t think so."

I did laugh at that. For a "peaceful haven of quiet and repose" we go to our fishing camp in Maine. For a family vacation in the Caribbean we are looking for some party music; margaritas; water slides; buckets of beer and watching Mr. Legs contests. We want to snorkle; have our pictures taken with monkeys; ride horses in the surf; go cave tubing; drink some rum punch. I don't think, somehow, that Mr. Frommer is like us or would like us if he met us.

(And I have to say that I read as much as anyone I know. I don't need to sit in a library and watch other people read while I do. And I don't need the ship to provide my reading material because I bring my Kindle.)

Yawn.... another hack job from Frommers. What else is new. He is never happy unless he is on some snooty cruise and is waited on hand and foot. No wait, he rarely likes those either. I would not put much stock in anything he says.

Thanks for posting though, nice reading a well written hack job.

Hey, my motto is if you can make it to his age, then you get a free pass to say whatever! ;)

I liked his review the first time I read it for he had me wanting to sail her with his "leave your mind at home" statement. I followed his advice and I dare say it took a good month after sailing the Epic to find where I had left it.

Although you read his review as being negative, I think indirectly he makes the point there are a lot of activities and entertainment going on! He explicitly states do not go if you are looking for a particular type of experience and that is useful information. In my opinion, he promoted the Epic in so many other ways without realizing it.

coka

Archived